It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another tire opinion thread (sorry) AT2 vs Falken Rockies
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm sorry folks, I hope you'll forgive me, but I value your input and advice. I'm about due to replace the stock wrangler STs finally. Discount Tire on Ebaby is offering a $100 discount and free shipping on a set of four. I'm going to stick with the stock size of 225/75/16 for cost reasons. I've narrowed it down to the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS at $464 - $100, or the General Grabber AT2s at $536 - $100.

I like the BFGesque look of the AT2s and they seem to get good reviews. I do head to the Sierras for an occasional snow trip, and the AT2 seems to look better as it wears. So what does everyone (anyone) think? A difference of $70 is significant, but may be justifiable for a more aggressive look and better performing tire. $364 for those Falkens is an awesome price. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Another tire opinion thread (sorry) AT2 vs Falken Rockie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can't comment on the Faulkens, Never owned any. I'm on my second set of AT2's.

Love the snow and ice performance and they do very well offroad on rock and in mud. Downside is that performance fades as they get older and they wear faster than some tires (probably due to the softer compounds that improve the performance). I got a little over 40k out of the first set.

Much quieter and better wear than the Goodyear MTR's I was running.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

I can't say I have experience with the Falkens but a friend has them. He loved them but at close to 30k miles they are almost bald. The tread life has been terrible.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was wondering. It seems like treadwear is about equal on these. I'm not too worried about treadwear but I'm glad you gave me that input. I will sadly probably have to sell the Jeep in two years, and I only clock about 10000 miles per year, so I should be ok with treadwear either way. I'm leaning toward the AT2s because there seems to be more reviews on them. Has anyone seen the Falkens on a first gen Liberty? I wonder if they have the same aggressive look that the AT2 does. I hate to be vain, but I miss my Blazer and its big 33 BFGs. I would love to get close to that look.

Last edited by rhinocharg on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:18 pm 
LOST Member

I have the Falkens. They are a tough durable tire that will withstand a lot of offroad abuse. Snow traction is decent. I have about 25K on mine and they have a lot of tread left. The downside is they are very heavy and will get noisy with wear. For the price I would buy them again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm trying to find a weight comparison since I think the AT2s are considered heavy too.

Those of you with Falkens on the Liberty, or that have seen Falkens on the Liberty, are you happy with the look? Do they look aggressive enough?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:37 pm 
LOST Member

Get the AT2s if you want an aggressive look.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes, I'm definitely going for the AT2s. My local Discount (Americas) tire is going to honor the online ebay deal of $100 off the price of four. If anyone is needing tires soon you should seriously look into this (ends 3/16). $480 out the door for 4 AT tires sounds great to me. I read quite a few mixed reviews of the Falkens online. The Discount rep told me he had them and that once they start wearing, the tread and traction fall off pretty quick, whereas the AT2 wears like the BFG KO and lasts until the bitter end. Hopefully I'll have them on by next week. I appreciate everyone's input, and I don't mean to knock the Falkens, they look to be a nice LT tire. I'll try to post pics if anyone wants to see. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:45 am 
LOST Newbie

Sounds like a good choice. How's the road performance of the AT2's so far?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes I went with the AT2s, so far so good. I've only done city driving with them so far. I'm really happy with how they look, to me they are almost identical to the BFG A/T. The Jeep finally looks like a Jeep. The ride around town is good. They remind me of the ride of BFGs too; not too much road noise, a little more bouncy than the STs but not really in a bad way. I'm glad I went with the 225 since it's a stock saggy suspension. No rubbing and still a decent amount of fender gap. I love that new tire smell, and apparently the Falkens are made from recycled rubber that makes them smell like cowpoo. So there's a side benefit. I left the ST spare uncovered on the back, is that poor taste? I'm hoping for a trail run in the Sierras around father's day, so that will likely give me my first AT experience with these. Anyway, thanks for all those who contributed. Like I said, I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I'll try to post pictures when I have the chance.