It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx tires??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:22 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Anyone running these or know of anyone running them
My Duratracs are at 75,000 miles, they are getting to the point of needing replaced so been reading and looking up reviews of various tires. Don't want any plain old ATs and want to try something different this time.
For what its worth Ive had the stock tires (of course), Destination ATs, Kumho KL78s, Goodyear MTRs, BFG ATs ( for a very short time ) and of course the Duratracs

Post subject: Re: Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx tires??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Didn't TBJ run those? Or some Discoverer S/T that I recall. Have you looked at Nittos- Terra Grappler or Trail Grappler (step more aggressive than the Terra)? I've had the Terras on the KJ and LR3 for awhile, I really like them. The KJ is getting another set soon. LR3 has had two sets.

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can't say on the coopers but if you want a great tire that has been proven to last,great offroad and on road,balance easy and is not very noisy I'd try some Toyo Open Country MT's.Yes there MT's but sound and wear like AT's.Only drawback is they weigh a lot and are not cheap.

They do make them in 265/75R16's also.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:21 am 

tjkj2002 wrote:
Can't say on the coopers but if you want a great tire that has been proven to last,great offroad and on road,balance easy and is not very noisy I'd try some Toyo Open Country MT's.Yes there MT's but sound and wear like AT's.Only drawback is they weigh a lot and are not cheap.

They do make them in 265/75R16's also.

Have to check them out as well Thanks Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 pm 
LOST Addict

It'll be interesting to see what you go with. It would be great to find a tire with the performance and toughness of the Duratrac but with less impact on mileage. (Granted, none of us built our Jeeps for the gas mileage, but every little bit helps.)

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The guys on the Dodge Cummins forum sure like the Toyo M/T's. You never hear anything bad about them, especially considering the volume of people who have them. Like Troy said, they are HEAVY tires. They make the best looking sidewall, though! :mrgreen:

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:10 am 
LOST Newbie

I know I posted this over on KJ Country but figured this was a more focused thread and it may find a different crowd..

The tires have been great. Right now I have about 23,000 miles on them and you certainly wouldn't know it looking at them. They have little ribs on the side of the tread blocks probably 1/16'' apart, and I'm just now at the first line. With that said, I am a fairly aggressive driver, so I'm not necessarily taking it easy on them on road. For what its worth, they handle decent for what they are, though the Liberty doesn't hold a candle to my car. They are definitely fine for a daily driver. For pressure, I've mostly been running them around 50psi.

I did have some issue with the right front tire feathering on the inside edge a bit. As it turns out I had a wheel bearing going bad, and I did get it aligned also to see if that was the issue. When they were first put on, there was a slight low hum and they have picked up noise since, but it may or may not be due to the feathering. All in all, I do not think they are too loud and I drive 30mi each way to work every day.

As far as conditions go, they have seen a lot of(way too much really) pavement, as well as some sand/dirt, rocky terrain, light mud, snow and ice. They are fantastic in snow, I had zero issues going anywhere, blizzard or not. They have been great in the rain as well. I have driven in some pretty heavy rain and not had any issues running through standing water. In sand and dirt they didn't leave much to be desired either, I was able to do things in 2wd that I needed 4wd for before. They have only seen a very small amount of mud, but had no issues. I was quite impressed with them on a few rocky trails i was on, they didn't slip one bit as I had to back up a trail halfway down the hill as the trail was blocked. I was able to reverse up the hill and over a berm without issue.

Cliff Notes: I'd definitely buy these again, I have been extremely happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the review BDEE. What size of tires are you running?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 am 
LOST Newbie

dieselenthusiast wrote:

No problem. I'm running the stock 225/75r16s.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BDEE wrote:
dieselenthusiast wrote:

Since those are load E, how do they ride?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:13 am 
LOST Newbie

dieselenthusiast wrote:
BDEE wrote:
dieselenthusiast wrote:

Since those are load E, how do they ride?

The only thing I have to compare them to are the worn out Kumho Road Venture SPTs that were on it when I bought it. Compared to those "street tires" they do ride a bit more stiff, but I am also running 45-50psi in them compared to around 32psi in the others. I do daily drive my KJ about 70mi round trip and I would say the ride is comfortable, probably 7/10 for ride comfort.

I did lose about 1mpg, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:44 pm 
LOST Member

I'll soon be running a set of S/T Maxx tires in 245/75/16E on a set of Moabs. I post up my thoughts once I get them installed. I'll be going from Duratracs to the S/T Maxx and from the research I've done most people think that they are the best performing A/Ts that you can buy.

As for my Duratracs I've not been too impressed with mileage or snow performance (live in the Colorado Foothills). I've haven't even gotten 30,000 miles out of the set I have and that was with doing a 5-tire rotation every 300 miles. In the wet snow that we get in the fall & spring the tires just gum up. I think that my mileage issues are that they were 6-ply C rated tires instead of 10-ply E rated tires. Between the torque of the CRD diesel engine which causes the Duratracs to constantly break loose from both the asphalt and the dirt roads especially when wet and the mountain driving seems to just chew through the softer compound of the Duratracs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:29 pm 

MtnClimber wrote:
I'll soon be running a set of S/T Maxx tires in 245/75/16E on a set of Moabs. I post up my thoughts once I get them installed. I'll be going from Duratracs to the S/T Maxx and from the research I've done most people think that they are the best performing A/Ts that you can buy.

As for my Duratracs I've not been too impressed with mileage or snow performance (live in the Colorado Foothills). I've haven't even gotten 30,000 miles out of the set I have and that was with doing a 5-tire rotation every 300 miles. In the wet snow that we get in the fall & spring the tires just gum up. I think that my mileage issues are that they were 6-ply C rated tires instead of 10-ply E rated tires. Between the torque of the CRD diesel engine which causes the Duratracs to constantly break loose from both the asphalt and the dirt roads especially when wet and the mountain driving seems to just chew through the softer compound of the Duratracs.

Interesting, I have 80,000 on my Duratracs now, one of the reasons its hard to think about getting anything else , in snow mine did great going in two wheel drive most times