It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bit the bullet and got some Duratracs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:21 pm 
LOST Member

I'm running the LT225/75/16's and aside from a hiccough with the installers, I love them so far!

The boys putting them on only aired them up to 33psi. They stayed 40 minutes after closing to finish installing my tires and as I pulled out in one direction, they left in the other direction.

My first impression was that they weren't giving me the ride I expected after hearing so much about them on here. They seemed squishy. I pulled over to check the air in all 4 tires and all were set at 33psi...I remembered the range on here for highway driving was 40-60psi so I went back the next day and asked them to up the pressure. The salesman told me over and over that I didn't want them to do that. It would ruin the tire to run it at a higher pressure than was listed in the door frame sticker. I insisted that I wanted my tires at a pressure where the truck didn't feel like it was sitting on blocks of jello when I wiggled the steering wheel and wouldn't make the sidewalls heat up so much from driving down the road.

Finally the kid came around who had done the installation and he told the salesman that these were Light Truck tires and I was correct, they needed more air. He apologized and said there were also Duratracs that were passenger car tires and a lower load range. He aired me up to 45 (his recommendation as a starting point) and turned me loose. I haven't yet chalked the tires to see how they are sitting where the rubber meets the road, but they feel much better on pavement with a little more pressure!

This weekend I'm doing some off-roading over sand, loose rock, and maybe a little mud-bogging. We'll see how they perform under those conditions! I look forward to trying to get 75-80k out of them like Tommudd has! I don't think I 4wd as much as he does, (aside from the 1/2mi each day on my driveway) so I'm guessing that they'll last me a few years of good fun!

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

Post subject: Re: Bit the bullet and got some Duratracs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:00 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:59 am 
LOST Junkie

That makes me wonder about the pressure in mine, especially now with the temperature change. I'm running the same size as you, therefore a LT tire.

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:41 am 
LOST Addict

Load Range C, 245/75-16. I run 36psi. You'll love them. They're great. With the cold temps I have to check my air pressure. It's bound to be a little low right now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:46 pm 

Bmxer524 wrote:
Load Range C, 245/75-16. I run 36psi. You'll love them. They're great. With the cold temps I have to check my air pressure. It's bound to be a little low right now.

Same here ( Load Range) but 265-75-16s and 35 lbs been that pressure since new. 81,000 miles now
Just keep them rotated every 3-3500