It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Confused about 4" backspacing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:30 am 
LOST Member

Can somebody with a good understanding of the wheel fitment issues of these trucks help me out a little? I've read through a lot of this stuff, but am thoroughly confused. I'm trying to figure out why people talk about running wheels with 4" of backspacing, and don't have massive rubbing issues. I've mentioned that I have Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, and some people say this will create rubbing issues on the wheel well because of arc of travel. Yes, I understand that and agree. My OEM 225/75/16s are a little close to rubbing now. The main reason I have them is because I like the wider stance and stability they create. I do a ton of highway driving, and I worry much less about rolling my truck if somebody cuts me off at high speed, etc.

Here's what I don't understand, though: My CRD Limited stock 16x7 mopar wheels have 5.75" of backspacing (same as rear spacing, right?). If I move to a different 7 inch wide rim with 4" of backspacing, those wheels are sticking out 1.75" further in the wheel wells than my stock. My spacers only put me out 1.25" further than stock. Am I missing something?? I would think 4" backspacing would create even bigger problems. My 225/75/16s are currently way too close to rubbing on the front plastic and pinch weld, even with a solid 2.5" of lift. I don't think I can go up a tire size or two, unless I position them just right within the wheel well, and I'm hoping somebody can point out what I'm missing.

I figure the best scenario would be to get rims that have about 5.25" of backspacing, and I would have the best of both worlds (slightly wider stance + room for bigger meats), assuming that backspacing can be found...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify this...my tires are just about out of time, and I'd love to go just a touch bigger and more aggressive, ideally 245/75/16, but get a little wider stance also. I don't want really want rubbing of any sort, except maybe just a touch on full compression...

RRO Rockfather Deluxe Lift (OME/KYB GR-2/RRO)
GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
Updated Litens Serpentine Tensioner
European Graf Water Pump
Nitro Rear Diff Cover w/Lubelocker Gasket

Post subject: Re: Confused about 4" backspacing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:07 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

MicroBruin wrote:
Can somebody with a good understanding of the wheel fitment issues of these trucks help me out a little? I've read through a lot of this stuff, but am thoroughly confused. I'm trying to figure out why people talk about running wheels with 4" of backspacing, and don't have massive rubbing issues. I've mentioned that I have Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, and some people say this will create rubbing issues on the wheel well because of arc of travel. Yes, I understand that and agree. My OEM 225/75/16s are a little close to rubbing now. The main reason I have them is because I like the wider stance and stability they create. I do a ton of highway driving, and I worry much less about rolling my truck if somebody cuts me off at high speed, etc.

Here's what I don't understand, though: My CRD Limited stock 16x7 mopar wheels have 5.75" of backspacing (same as rear spacing, right?). If I move to a different 7 inch wide rim with 4" of backspacing, those wheels are sticking out 1.75" further in the wheel wells than my stock. My spacers only put me out 1.25" further than stock. Am I missing something?? I would think 4" backspacing would create even bigger problems. My 225/75/16s are currently way too close to rubbing on the front plastic and pinch weld, even with a solid 2.5" of lift. I don't think I can go up a tire size or two, unless I position them just right within the wheel well, and I'm hoping somebody can point out what I'm missing.

I figure the best scenario would be to get rims that have about 5.25" of backspacing, and I would have the best of both worlds (slightly wider stance + room for bigger meats), assuming that backspacing can be found...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify this...my tires are just about out of time, and I'd love to go just a touch bigger and more aggressive, ideally 245/75/16, but get a little wider stance also. I don't want really want rubbing of any sort, except maybe just a touch on full compression...

REREAD AGAIN, WHEN LIFTED you can run a 7 inch wide wheel with 4 inches of backspacing.
Yes unlifted it would rub like crazy for sure and with sagging springs even more so
As far as the pinch weld you bend them over for more clearance , easy to do just takes a little time
What lift do you have, without having all the information in your signature its hard to say what may or may not work
If you do have a full spring lift with 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height then 245-75-16s would work, some other lifts maybe not