It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nokian Rotiiva AT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

For anyone who's never heard of Nokian tires, they're made in Finland by the same company that makes (made?) Nokia cell phones, and a bunch of other stuff. Since the majority of Finland is above the Arctic Circle they know a thing or 2 about making a good winter tire. I've run them before on a Chevy 1/2 ton (WR's) and they were a good all-season tire, on par with a Michelin at that time both in terms of price and performance.
I was looking for an all season, all terrain, affordable tire, and while I was at it I wanted it to be quiet and not kill my fuel economy. The Rotiiva AT delivered. I bought them about a month ago before my winter trip to California (I'm in Eastern Washington) and good thing, because the weather turned to crap the day before we left. On the way to California I drove through .2" of sleet frozen onto the road, slush, rain, and snow. In California of course it was all sunshine and bluebirds, on California's notoriously non-maintained roadways. On the way back, more snow pretty much from Bend to home.
The tires are nearly silent. No All Terrain whine whatsoever. The stock-replacement Wranglers were about 90% worn and noisy as hell by comparison. Ice traction is as good as you will get without installing Blizzaks or Nokian's Hakkapeliitas (named after some kind of Nordic winter snow monster, they are the final word in winter tires). Snow traction is awesome. Dry pavement handling is as good as you can expect from a non-highway specific tire. Best part, my mileage certainly didn't suffer and I think actually improved, I was rolling over 31 mpg in California (kerosene-free diesel) with 2 adults, 3 kids, and the back stuffed with holiday crap.
Somehow they built a tire that is rated All-Terrain, has the Severe Winter Service snowflake symbol, and also has some kind of "green" certification for low rolling resistance. The only thing that is probably comparable is the new BFG all terrain tire, but I couldn't afford over $200 per corner for them. You can get them exclusively through Tire Factory, or on EBay or Google. I highly recommend them if you live where winter sucks, but you don't want to spend the money on winter-specific tires.

Post subject: Re: Nokian Rotiiva AT
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:52 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Great review Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

X2, thanks. I'll have to take a look at those.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I too am a fan of Nokian winter tires. Took a flyer on a set of WRG3 all seasons about 2 years ago. Great tire, especially in the wet for about 25k miles. Then they went off fast. Had to replace them this fall staring at another Cleveland winter. I only got about 28k total out of them and they weren't a "budget" buy.

Replaced with the new gen Michelin Defender for about the same coin. Supposed to be a 70k tire. Time will tell on that, but so far with about 2k on them I am very impressed.

2006 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison - the toy
RIP - 1995 Tahoe 6.5 TD
1990 JD 332, yep, the mower is a diesel too