It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: factory wheels rubbing on tie rods?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I brought my 05 crd to get some new tires put on today. Some bfg ko2 in 245/70r16. When the guys took the front wheels off they pointed out that the inside of the wheels were rubbing on the tie rods when the wheel was turned most of the way. I was under the impression that all factory liberty wheels were interchangeable. I recently purchased the vehicle used so I don't know if they were off of another year liberty. I believe ALY9037 is the model # for the wheel. They are 6 spoke silver alloy wheels.

Curious if anyone else has run into this problem.

Also I'm thinking about just picking up 5 16" diameter 7" wide cragar soft 8s. Will those tires still fit with no rub without a lift? Or is the different backspacing an issue? The tires are already bought and paid for so they're staying. Just need to work the rim situation out.

By the way I had them mount the tires anyway because the old ones were toast. They do not rub at all under normal driving conditions. I have yet to get the jeep articulated but looking at the gaps I'm pretty confident it will be very minimal. Maybe even none at all.

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.

Post subject: Re: factory wheels rubbing on tie rods?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:42 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

[quote="Locked KJ"]So I brought my 05 crd to get some new tires put on today. Some bfg ko2 in 245/70r16. When the guys took the front wheels off they pointed out that the inside of the wheels were rubbing on the tie rods when the wheel was turned most of the way. I was under the impression that all factory liberty wheels were interchangeable. I recently purchased the vehicle used so I don't know if they were off of another year liberty. I believe ALY9037 is the model # for the wheel. They are 6 spoke silver alloy wheels.

Curious if anyone else has run into this problem.

Also I'm thinking about just picking up 5 16" diameter 7" wide cragar soft 8s. Will those tires still fit with no rub without a lift? Or is the different backspacing an issue? The tires are already bought and paid for so they're staying. Just need to work the rim situation out.

By the way I had them mount the tires anyway because the old ones were toast. They do not rub at all under normal driving conditions. I have yet to get the jeep articulated but looking at the gaps I'm pretty confident it will be very minimal. Maybe even none at all.[/quote

Factory wheels rubbing? Never seen or heard of that
any pictures?
Also if buying aftermarket unlifted you would have to stay with 7 inch wide and 5 inches of backspacing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:58 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
When shopping tires for my 06 sport, I was browsing wheels as well. Their "experts" informed me that on this vehicle (currently stock) anything beyond 4.125" backspacing (hub to inner bead) was risky, and by 4.5" would "guarantee interference somewhere on the inside" with an original size tire. My current Maxim's are 4", so for the time being, I left well enough alone.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i think those experts, kinda, arent. lol

the stock 16x7s are 5.5" backspaced
a 4.25" backspace is the equivalent of running the stock rims with 1.25" spidertrax spacers

the closer to 4" you get from 5.5" , the more rubbing on the pinchweld and foglight access doors you get, which is the outside, not the inside heh

but im with tom ive never seen a stock rim on these vehicles rub a tie rod

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:30 am 
LOST Newbie

http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/drop_ ... sort=3&o=0

The wheels in question

http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/drop_ ... sort=3&o=0

Where they are rubbing

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Gotta spend some time later figuring out how to get photos to actually be in the post. But I gotta run to work now. Figured I'd try and get something up right away.

If those truly are factory wheels. Then maybe they are aftermarket tie rods? The thing does ride straight as an arrow. So I doubt the alignment geometry is to far off from where it's supposed to be

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

you just hit the img button under the subject when posting, and paste the url from photobucket thats in the "direct link" box next to the picture
Quote:
wheels in question
where they were rubbing

ill do it for ya this time ;)

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

check your drivers side and see if the curved portion of the tie rod is pointing towards teh front of the vehicle as well
if it is, that's where your actual passenger side tie rod is, and vice versa

the passenger side tie rod in the picture, is a DRIVERS side tie rod

if they're both curved facing the front of the vehicle, count how many spins to take them off and switch sides

if the drivers side is, correctly, curved facing the rear of the vehicle, you just need a new passenger side tie rod

edit/of an edit
so i guess i have seen this sort of rubbing before. and for this specific reason heh, pretty sure tom has too, it just isn't under a "normal' circumstance lol

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for letting me know how to get photos up. That was one of my wheels that needs replacing. Had nothing to do with the rubbing.

A second thanks for solving my problem. Guess the person that installed them didn't see the L and R marked on them. I'll change them this weekend if the weather holds. Gonna hit up some junkyards for a wheel this weekend too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:09 pm 

Locked KJ wrote:
Thank you for letting me know how to get photos up. That was one of my wheels that needs replacing. Had nothing to do with the rubbing.

A second thanks for solving my problem. Guess the person that installed them didn't see the L and R marked on them. I'll change them this weekend if the weather holds. Gonna hit up some junkyards for a wheel this weekend too.

Not still driving on that I hope !!
Wow , thats bad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i know right, SRA's are awful!

oh.. you mean the rim :lol:

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:56 am 

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
i know right, SRA's are awful!

oh.. you mean the rim :lol:

Heck BOTH !!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Definitely not driving on that. Couldn't believe it held air for the six months the jeeps been in my driveway getting worked on.

Put the spare on for now. Have a matching rim coming from a junkyard on Tuesday.

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow. Gonna get those tie rods switched and beat the pinch welds into submission. Probably do a little sculpting of the front side of the inner fenders as well.

Will get an alignment probably Thursday or Friday. Then with any luck I'll get to try out the front e-locker Saturday. I'm sure there will be some mud on my buddies farm as well as a small sandy off camber hill climb.

Also agree on goodyears being pretty crappy. This will be my 4th set of bfgs on various vehicles. I can't even bring myself to try another brand. I almost went for grabber at2 but the ko2 is just way more badass of a tire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:44 pm 

Locked KJ wrote:
Definitely not driving on that. Couldn't believe it held air for the six months the jeeps been in my driveway getting worked on.

Put the spare on for now. Have a matching rim coming from a junkyard on Tuesday.

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow. Gonna get those tie rods switched and beat the pinch welds into submission. Probably do a little sculpting of the front side of the inner fenders as well.

Will get an alignment probably Thursday or Friday. Then with any luck I'll get to try out the front e-locker Saturday. I'm sure there will be some mud on my buddies farm as well as a small sandy off camber hill climb.

Also agree on goodyears being pretty crappy. This will be my 4th set of bfgs on various vehicles. I can't even bring myself to try another brand. I almost went for grabber at2 but the ko2 is just way more badass of a tire

Stock Goodyear SRAs were bad, otherwise Goodyear is a great tire. Wouldn't trade 5 Goodyear Duratracs for 25 BFGs
Used to run them back in the late 70s but just not liking them much anymore
But you like them so thats all that counts, if they work for you then thats the best tire there is ! :wink: