It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone heard of Mesa A/P Tires???
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:27 am 
LOST Newbie

I am currently looking for new tires for my stock 2005 KJ Sport but something budget friendly and with alittle more aggressive tread than stock. I called around to local tire places and found the cheapest "Semi-Aggressive" tires available for a good price were Mesa A/P's...$90 a piece. I am going to hopefully get up there this week to see the tires. Has anyone heard (good or bad) or actually ran these tires?

I need tires but don't have the money right now to spend $160+ per tire right now.

If anyone knows of a tire that would meet the criteria but on a budget, I am open to suggestions.

"Some people are like Slinkies...they're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:36 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

never heard of them
but check out Kumho KL78 tires, I got 255-70s for 100 each mounted/balanced etc Good running tire, more aggressive than most ATs and wear good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:47 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd - If you don't mind me asking..where did you get them from for that price? Was it a local tire shop or a large name distributor.

"Some people are like Slinkies...they're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:08 am 

Bought them at Tireman, had looked online and had priced them from my cousin (who has a tire shop) then called Tireman, he told me a price of like 125 or something and I said "OK Thanks I can get them cheaper somewhere else" he came back with "Come in today and 100 each tax, mounted/balanced etc"
I know Discount Tire and Belle Tire has them as well, not sure if they are over your way or not.
I just looked mine have a little over 30,000 and still about 1/2 tread so they are doing pretty good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:23 am 
LOST Member

I have been considering them. They are a "house" brand tire made by Cooper. (as make the procomp tires) The reviews and info I have been able to find have been favorable.
Here in SLC BigO sells them. I am looking at 235/85/16's for $105 each.

90 Miata (sold)
'49 Studebaker PU (sold)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:24 am 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

take a look at Tirerack.com and search out the Fuzion XTi's. I went 245/65/17 on my 05 limited. I am sure they have a 16" in your size that would look great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Mesa's are a decent tire but dont perform as aggresivley as they look, plus they are ONLY sold at national tire and & Battery ( and its sister companies) so if you end up on the west coast with a bad tire good luck finding one.

ALOT of them also wobble on the wheels.

I work at NTB and speak from exsperiance.

Wheeling an Isuzu Rodeo on 1 tons
and a Stock Chevy Tracker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:15 am 
LOST Newbie

offroadohio - NTB is actually where I was looking to get the tires. Are there any other tires comparable at NTB that you are aware of which you would suggest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Actualy I lied. There are TWO varients of the Mesa. One is a Cooper made tire and its the "old" design, That design is sold in mom n pop shops, around the nation.

The other is a Sumitomo (japanese) made tire and is for NTB only. You were looking at this one most likely as NTB stopped carrying the cooper design.

I think the Sumitomo A/T's are similar in price. They are still japanese, but they are softer rubber and iwll ride alot nicer, and they run quieter.

I'll glance in the computer tommorrow at work and see if there is anything priced comparable. NTB can get just about ANY tire you cna imagine if the sales staff is smart enough. They can even get Super Swampers regardless fo what they'll tell you.

I'm not sure on the prices, but the General Grabber A/T 2 is a good tire and looks/performs pretty similar to a BFG a/t.

All Sumitomo's have a 30day ride and try garuntee. I'm not sure if the MESA's qualify ro not becuase they are not labeled Sumitomo. I'll ask tommorrow and let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did soem checking, isnt anything NTB keeps in stock thats it better for the same price.

The A/p's are made in China, by a japanese company.. ???????????? and they do not fall under the sumitomo ride garuntee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

offroadohio - I took your advise and called the local NTB and they can special order the General Grabber AT2's for $110.99 a piece. I assume that is a decent price for them. Does anyone know if I can find the tires any cheaper? Tirerack carries them for $95. a piece but with shipping costs would be the same price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just so you know... NTB uses TireRack to get alot of its tires. So anything on tire rack will be cheaper than NTB, but about the same when you ad shiiping.

Sumitomo A/t's are around $110 aswell and will be instock at your local store.

I would go general grabber over sumitomo but the general's will carry with them more noise.

Sumitomo has a 30day ride and try garuntee.

I looked online for generals when I bought my bfg's, and I found the average price to be pretty close to tire rack, which means NTB is decently priced on them.

I went witht he BFg's becuase they cost me LESS than the grabbers, by using my 20% below cost discount on BFg and Michelin tires... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

offroadohio - Thanks for the info. Too bad you don't work at the NTB near me...That 20% below cost discount would definitely help. :lol: :lol:

Maybe if I mention LOST, one of the people there might be on the forum also. Very doubtful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:11 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

SITE UPGRADE UPDATE: I am saving another backup file to include info posted up to 3:30pm PT today (11/6). If you are currently using this site, please post your last post for now and log out ASAP.

THANK YOU for your cooperation.

"Failure is when you watch other peoples' lives happen and forget to live your own."
AND
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle; your kindness may be all he receives this day."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tell them Store 285 in Lancaster Ohio said to hook you up.

We work on commision, they can drop the price, or include soemthing free to get you to buy the tires... use soem pursuasive talking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:15 pm 
2005KJSport wrote:
offroadohio - Thanks for the info. Too bad you don't work at the NTB near me...That 20% below cost discount would definitely help. :lol: :lol:

Maybe if I mention LOST, one of the people there might be on the forum also. Very doubtful.

20% below cost is only on tires manufactured by the Michelin Group, for employees

IMO, the Mesas...I wouldn't put them on a wheelbarrow.
No, they don't fall under the Sumitomo ride guarantee...the Mesas are bought typically by people who want the cheapest thing there is.

Also, yes, Cooper makes the old variant of the Mesa AP...so? Aveos are built by GM, and so are Corvettes...so Corvettes are the same quality and performance as Aveos?

I hate to be the purveyor of doom and gloom, but buy something that doesn't suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Is there an echo in here? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:43 pm 
I just realized that what I said pretty much mirrored what you said.

I now feel like an dummy :lol:

BTW, Sumitomo AT's are WAY better than the General Grabber AT2s. Just a heads up...

Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of Mesa A/P Tires???
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:04 am 
LOST Newbie

The 2005 Sport I recently bought came with Mesa A/P2 raised white outline letter tires. Might they be from Sumitomo or Cooper? Has anyone had them lately?

Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of Mesa A/P Tires???
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Never heard of it before.