It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone Know About Goodyear MTR's?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looking at Goodyear MTR's any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:07 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I've heard great things about them. Several members here ride them, so they could probably tell you the nitty gritty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:01 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Nothing but happy with mine. They grip great on rocks, no problems in sand or when it's raining. Your mileage will drop and you need to turn the radio up a bit louder due to the sound they make. They look darn good too. Are you lifted and what year have you got?

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject: Goodyear MTR's
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2005 Kahki Renegade Loaded but stock. Ordered all the off road stuff they had. Only 7k on it now so waiting until about 20k to retread the Wrangler SRA's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:16 pm 
LOST Member

ran them on a tj and now on my libby. great tires. the only thing they dont do well is mud.

remember mtr stands for maximum traction on rock NOT mud terrain

Post subject: Re: Anyone Know About Goodyear MTR's?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:47 pm 
KJ Jeep 41 wrote:
Looking at Goodyear MTR's any suggestions?
I know guys (4x4 p/u's) who swear by them.

I went with BFG AT ko's because it seemed to be the winner in comparison tests at the time I researched all terrain tires. Of course BFG's impeccible record in off-road events was also an aid to my decision.

And although I would recommend them to anyone, I'm now considering Pro Comp XTerrains next time around. I've read three articles / stories on how these tires are amazing! Matter of fact, a writer at Off-Road Adventures magazine wrote a 3-part series on racing Baja. He stated that this was the first year (in several) that he never had to touch a lug nut from start to the drive home back into California. Something to consider if that is the type of tire you might be interested in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:03 am 
LOST Newbie

i have had them for about 10K now and i love it, and they are mean looking, it definetly makes the libby look like a true jeep.

Noisy, yes but not much in my opinion.

Wet TRaction, is pretty good, just cant draft behind a car with it.

Sharp turns, they do sometimes give, especially if wet.

Snow, Absolutely da BOMB

Mud, no problem,

Dirt Hills, no problem

Beach, no problem

get them its worth it

Post subject: MT/Rs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The MT/R is an outstanding tire but what are your needs. here are some facts.

the MT/R is a VERY HEAVY tire is you are using the 245/75/16. It is an "E" rated tire so that makes it heavy but man it is one of the toughtest tires out there. it is like a true 10 ply tire.

They work like crazy on rocks, stumps, sand, snow, and all kinds of stuff, but like some of the others have said...they are not a mud tire like a lot of folks think. They just really dont work good in mub...but then they were not designed for that.

They are noisy, work great on road...I was shocked how well they do on road, if you keep an eye on your alignemnt and rotate them they will last a good time...Great tire over all. From the first time I have used them ...I have not changed brands.

If you want a very aggressive tire that will do anything but mud and it one of the toughest tires on the market...The MT/R will fit your needs.

On the other hand...if noise and gas mileage bugs you all the time... You might want to go another route.

I picked up a cheap set of steel wheels on installed the MT/Rs on them...I swap the wheels out when going off roading. I know it does not as cool but I just hate to see my MT/Rs get eatten up on the freeway instead of rippin up a trail.

Hope this helps. Later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject: Goodyear MTR's
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Awesome suggestions. Thank You! I will probably go with the steall wheel and mount before hitting the trails here in WA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:39 pm 
I live here
I live here

Clint, those tires are expensive to replace so quickly, due to daily driving on the road, so it makes sense to get them as spares for off-roading and some other tire for on-roading.

Okay, someone mentioned $25 steel wheels to use as spares. What brand was that? Perhaps I'll look for some great used ones for a low price. MTR's are one of my choices as the spare set of off-road tires.....if I can save enough money for them.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

They do look good, but they are higher than a bird's butt!

L.O.S.T. #DA050656
Republica de Tejas

Post subject: Re: MT/Rs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

skrracing wrote:
They are noisy, work great on road...I was shocked how well they do on road, if you keep an eye on your alignemnt and rotate them they will last a good time...

That said, if you neglect the alignment and rotation they get really worn really fast. That's a fact for every tire, but it seems exponentially so on the MTRs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:28 pm 
LOST Member

wait for a lift kit, the smaller MTRs aren't enough to hold the libby on wet pavement. I had a smaller set on the factory wheels, prior to the lift, and I had white knuckles driving in the rain. Slid many times in low-speed / high traffic situations.
245/75s are awesome, I'm on my second set at that size. you can easily get over 50K miles out of a set. I did it and that was with about one trail a month eating at them, too. Everyone at Mid-Atlantic chapter knows how hard I wheel, and this is my 3rd (total) set of that style. definitely keep them rotated and balanced every 4-5k miles, though, it's a worthwhile investment that will also keep a nasty shimmy out of your steering wheel on the highway.

grant

07 Ram 1500 RST 5.7L LOST #584737
Regency Custom Pkg - Black leather with red baseball stitching, 22" Foose "Speedster" wheels & Pirelli Scorpions, Brushed Aluminum gauges, roll pan, dual exhaust, lowered sport-tuned suspension, 4W Baers, BedRug, power everything
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/ltwgs