It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 pm 
LOST Member

I had considered several brands of tires, including Firestone Destinations, Michelin LTX, Toyo Open Countries, etc, but I had read enough good things about these to make me give them a try. I got P245/70/16 as my suspension is currently stock and I knew I wouldn't be able to lift it before my old stock tires would be shot (less than 3/32" of tread left, 55k+ miles). There is no rubbing at all.

My first impressions are very positive. The ride feels a slight bit harder as it would on an hyperinflated tire, but I prefer it to the mushy feeling of the old tires. On the highway, with the windows up, there is no noticeable noise. With the windows down, you can hear a faint "zzzzzzz" sound, which doesn's surprise me coming from an AT tire. I think they handle much better than the old tires, especially on turns.

I took the KJ to the stealership to make the necessary adjustments to the speedometer, but they didn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. So any mileage readings may not be correct; which sucks because I wanted to see how my fuel economy would be affected. I will have to confirm on a highway with mile markers whether the adjustment they made is correct.

As far as looks, while looks are my last consideration, it doesn't hurt that they look pretty kickass. I am impressed so far, but I will be sure to update this thread as time goes on.

Thanks to all in this forum for the advice.

Last edited by ekj on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:47 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

245-70s will make no difference at all really
Mine came with 235-70s and when I went to 245-70s I never saw a real decrease or anythng

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:03 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
245-70s will make no difference at all really
Mine came with 235-70s and when I went to 245-70s I never saw a real decrease or anythng

Maybe I should have just left the speedometer alone. They screwed up the calculations. I measured it with mile markers on two different highways and it's ~ .125 miles off; measuring less. Also, I know what my RPMs were at different speeds. Now they are ~200 higher, which sounds like the speedometer is underestimating speed by ~ 5MPH.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:10 am 
LOST Newbie

I have been debating on whether to purchase these tires and was wondering how these tires perform offroad in dirt and mud and also in snow. And also how long have these tires lasted you and also how well do they wear?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:19 am 
LOST Member

xcliberty wrote:
I have been debating on whether to purchase these tires and was wondering how these tires perform offroad in dirt and mud and also in snow. And also how long have these tires lasted you and also how well do they wear?
Thanks

I got them one month before you posted so I can't answer how they will last, but so far they are wearing even. Althought it might be too early to tell. The difference in handling is very obvious. The consensus seems to be they their off-road and snow performance is at least on par with BFGs and Toyo Open Countrys.

I am very happy with them so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:23 pm 
LOST Member

With the original tires, I was able to get 18-20+ mpg in the summer, depending on the city:highway ratio. I just filled up today and came at 20+ mpg. The Hankooks I have are tires are bigger and more aggressive. If there is a mileage difference, it is negligible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:43 am 
LOST Member

xcliberty wrote:
Thanks

When my wife and I first bought our KJ, it had a set of the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF 10 under it.
We drove on them for three years until they were literally worn out past the wear bars.
They were then replaced with Goodyear 245-75-16 M/T R Kevlar tires.
I originally wanted Hankook Dynapro M/T, but they couldn't get the size I wanted, when I wanted/
needed them.
They perform really well in the rain and snow. Off road in loose dirt they were pretty good for an
"A/T" tire. In mud they were pretty decent as well, as long as you didn't get in to deep!
I have had them on two of my work trucks which averaged 500+ miles per week and never let me
down!
Although we now have the newest Goodyear M/T R's (Second set) which suit us more appropriately
for off road use, I wouldn't hesitate putting them on again in the future if we were to consider an All
terrain tire.
I give them two thumbs up!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have them on my CRD, fire trailin in Maine they have been excellent. Have no complaints. Also tow well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Found a website today that sells the ATMs really cheap. I think it was gripston.com or something like that. They had 265s for like $135 delivered!

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just picked up a set of these in 235-75-16 fashion on some 297s. They looked good and so far are real good. They are very quiet for an AT. And we finally got some rain to drive in and they were great. Now this is compared to my old tires which were just and average all season tire. But I would def recommend them especially for the price. Will update come winter time and more time with them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have sold and mounted literally hundreds of RF10s (Dynapro ATM) in the past two years and they are incredible tires for the money. The only thing they don't do very well is self clean, but I assume mud isn't your primary objective. I am no longer working in that tire shop, but I learned more than I could have on my own and in all honesty, when I find my Liberty (CRD I hope), I will be throwing some RF10s on it.

shopping for a CRD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:00 pm 
LOST Member

This winter has been pretty mild for us in Indiana so I have not had a chance to form a full opinion of the tires in snow and ice, but we did have a bit of both last week. The tires handled it very well. I intentionally went a bit faster than I normally would when going around a roundabout which caused the read-end to slide--this was in 2X4. I fully expected this and was able to recover quick.

Again, haven't really had a chance to evaluate in a lot of snow, but so far they continue to perform as expected.

Post subject: Re: Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10: what PSI?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:15 pm 
LOST Member

What psi are people using on a stock Liberty? I have 235/75r16's.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

if they're P or SL load grade - use the pressure on the door jam

if they're an LT load grade - you'll probably need 8-10psi more than that

when in doubt use a chalk test
put a chalk line across the tire - drive about 100 feet
if the chalk disappears in the center - pressure is too high - lower it
if it disappears on the edges - pressure is too low - raise it
right - is when it all disappears at the same time - front will probably be a couple lbs higher than the rears.

(it's easier to start high and lower the pressure)

if the chalk disappears both outside edges or both inside edge - get wheels aligned.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:50 pm 
LOST Member

I was literally doing the chalk test when I got this. They are XL rated with a max 51 psi. The tire shop put in 41psi which felt too stiff. I lowered to 33psi as per the door jam sticker and the chalk test was right on.

I'll post a review after putting on more miles. So far the handling is much tighter with less body roll than the junk Wrangler ST's. A little more noise at 30-50mph but not bad. The tires are aggressive looking and fill the wheel wells nicely. The tire guy said "now it looks like a Jeep."

They were $425 delivered from Discount Tire Direct and $100 for the local shop to mount and balance them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:14 am 
LOST Member

I had a set of Hankook ATM's on my last CRD and loved them. My current CRD has the Firestone destinations. When it comes time to replace, I will be putting Hankooks on. Reasons are 1. Better in snow and on wet pavement IMHO 2. I thought they were constructed better, 3. Yea, I think they look great too. :SOMBRERO: 4. Cheaper. 5. I thought they cleared out very well. 6. No real effect on MPG. Only negative is I thought the Hankook was slightly louder on the highway.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:02 pm 
LOST Member

Snow update:

We did not get enough snow for me to get a good feel for these tires last winter. Last month, however, we got some pretty good snow and there is still ice left from it. I really liked these tires in snow. Under normal driving, traction was excellent. 90 degree turns in small neighborhood streets going up to 15mph were not a problem. Not sure that there is any tire that performs great on ice, but these were a great improvement over the original tires. In dry ice, there were no problems.

I lost traction once when I was accelerating in a steep grade when reaching 35mph, in 2X4, in over 1/2' of snow. In 4X4, I had no problem getting to the 55mph speed limit. I also lost traction when on a 90 degree turn when the sun had melted the top layer of the ice and created a thin film of water over it. Again, I'm not sure what tire would not have lost traction there.

Overall, I am very happy with these tires.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 pm 
LOST Member

I had my first bad winter driving conditions with these tires today and was very impressed. There was only about 2-3 inches of slush that froze into ice but the plows and salt spreaders weren't prepared and many other cars, 4x4's included, were struggling. There were a lot of fender benders and traffic was moving at 15mph in a 50 zone. My traction control didn't kick in once and it drove like the roads were dry. Glad I went with 235/75r16. Very happy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:25 pm 
LOST Member

Update: drove all over during the recent blizzard in all kinds of conditions. The tires worked flawlessly. I think it's a combo of the tread design and tall(ish) skinny profile (235/75r16)