It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Report on Grand Cherokee V6 diesel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:55 pm 
LOST Addict

I just found this report on the GC in England and if you scroll down to the bottom you will see the mpg's listed. Also look at the 0>60 time and top speed. It ain't a slow poke.

Saturday April 8 (First written on 2006-04-03)

Jeeps Grand Cherokee Makes Most Sense With A 3.0-litre CRD Diesel Engine Under The Bonnet. Jonathan Crouch Checks It Out.

Heres the deal. For a couple of thousand less than a reasonably specified Land Rover Discovery diesel, you can get a car with similar brand equity, more equipment, comparable off road ability and much more power. Step forward, Jeeps Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD.

Not long ago, this would have been a mis-match. The old 161bhp 2.7-litre diesel Grand Cherokee was a wheezy old thing with crude mechanicals. This 218bhp 3.0-litre car is very different and not for nothing will it take a likely 80% of all future sales of this model. Prices start at £26,490 or £33,535 for the plusher Overland model. To save you checking the price lists, even that is over £3,000 less than a mid-range 190bhp Discovery 2.7V6 SE.

Sixty from rest takes 9.0 seconds (3.5 seconds quicker than the Disco) on the way to a top speed of 124mph (15mph quicker). Only when it comes to fuel economy does the Land Rover product make up some lost ground, on average, returning around 3 miles more for every tank.

Given the up-front price differential however, you can forgive the Jeep a little on this score. Forgive the endless comparisons with the Solihull product but Land Rover and Jeep really are the class of the field in the £30,000 sector of the current luxury 4x4 market. We recently marked out the Discovery as our 4x4 of the Year but that was based on its off road ability an area the Jeep doesnt quite match but gets close enough for the difference not to matter.

"If youre buying a luxury 4x4 at this price point, its a car you cant afford to ignore."

Many buyers of this third generation Grand will be stepping into the car straight from a MK2 model. Theyll notice a huge difference. The old recirculating ball steering system has been replaced by a rack and pinion set-up and the difference is night and day. Where the old car required constant corrections to keep on the straight and narrow, the latest feels resolutely car-like, with decent feedback.

Its still not what youd describe as sporty, but it at least feels as if its now attached to a car rather than a boat. Hand in hand with the changes to the steering has gone a root and branch revision of the suspension system. Independent front suspension has helped the on-road ride and also pays dividends off-road, increasing wheel articulation and ensuring that the tyres sit squarely on the ground when the suspension is extended. Improved safety systems also feature, with stability control being fitted for the first time.

This works in concert with the electronic rollover mitigation system that anticipates critical situations for the vehicle that may lead to a rollover scenario, nipping at the brakes and reducing engine torque to keep this high-sided 4x4 dirty side down. On the road, the Grand Cherokees common-rail diesel engine fires up with encouraging civility and only becomes vocal when fully extended. The midrange torque is predictably excellent, peaking at 376lb ft, making towing heavy loads no problem at all. It also makes crawling through tricky off road sections at little more than idle simplicity itself.

The same unit is used in the latest Mercedes M-class but of course, youll pay a lot more for it under the bonnet of a car bearing the three-pointed star. This Jeep is capable off road as well as on it. A trick Quadra-Trac II all-wheel drive system uses three limited-slip differentials to direct drive in tricky off road situations. In fact, this vehicle can extricate itself from said sticky situation when only one front wheel has traction.

The underside of the car is clean, Jeep tucking the exhaust and centre and front differentials well out of harms way, even utilising the rear crash protection beams as skid sections. The front air dam is even readily removable for tough off road duty. And the visual improvements to the MK3 Grand Cherokee? Well, at first glance, it doesnt look a great deal different to the Mk2 Grand, but park the two cars back to back and the changes are obvious. The waistline of the latest car is a good deal higher, giving the car a wedgier, tauter look.

The headlamps are more rounded to conform with Jeeps family look. With 90mm extra in the wheelbase, this car also caters for its passengers a good deal better than its surprisingly bijou predecessor. A stiffer chassis, better aerodynamics and a proportionally longer bonnet also point to the latest Grand Cherokees modernity. Equipment? Everything youd expect is in place: a 6-speaker CD Hi-Fi, front foglamps, air-conditioning, electric everything, power folding and heated mirrors, an independently opening rear tailgate glass and a reversible cargo tray in the estate compartment for those muddy boot moments. Trim levels run from Predator through Limited to the plush Overland range-topper. All Grand Cherokee models are covered by the comprehensive Jeep warranty scheme, which provides a three-year/60,000 mile mechanical warranty, seven-year anti-corrosion warranty and 12 months European roadside assistance. Though the latest Grand Cherokee may not look that different from the old car, it certainly is especially in the 3.0 CRD form tested here. If youre buying a luxury 4x4 at this price point, its a car you cant afford to ignore.

NEED TO KNOW

CAR: Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD range
PRICES: £26,490-£33,535 - on the road
INSURANCE GROUPS: 13-14
CO2 EMISSIONS: 270g/km
PERFORMANCE: 0-60mph 9.0s / Max Speed 124mph
FUEL CONSUMPTION: (urban) 21.6/ (extra urban) 32.8/ (combined) 27.7mpg If those are Imperial then they convert to 18/27/23 US MPG's
WILL IT FIT IN YOUR GARAGE?: Length/Width/Heightmm 4755/2251/1742

Our friends '05 GC V6 will only get 21 mpg cruising at 60 mph on level 4 lane highway with overall average (conservative driver) of 18 mpg after 30,000 miles of driving and he thinks city only driving would be about 15 mpg but since they live out in the county their driving is more what we call combined driving.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:03 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Quote:
Hand in hand with the changes to the steering has gone a root and branch revision of the suspension system. Independent front suspension has helped the on-road ride and also pays dividends off-road, increasing wheel articulation and ensuring that the tyres sit squarely on the ground when the suspension is extended.

I'm saving this one forever. I really like the writer of this article. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I cant wait to get one!! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:18 am 
LOST Newbie

We've had our 3.0CRD Limited for a couple of months now. The V6 diesel is smoooooth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:42 am 
LOST Addict

aardvark4x4 wrote:
We've had our 3.0CRD Limited for a couple of months now. The V6 diesel is smoooooth.

Image They make the darn things here, but NOOOOO we cant have one :!: :evil: ImageImageImage

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeger wrote:
aardvark4x4 wrote:

Image They make the darn things here, but NOOOOO we cant have one :!: :evil: ImageImageImage

Yes you can. It will be for sale in the first few months of 2007 here in the U.S. - Just not the CARB states - Yet :twisted:

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:29 pm 
LOST Addict

alljeep wrote:
Jeger wrote:
aardvark4x4 wrote:

Yes you can. It will be for sale in the first few months of 2007 here in the U.S. - Just not the CARB states - Yet :twisted:
I was talking to owner of local dealership last week and he said they are taking orders now with first delivery Dec or Jan time frame.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:27 am 
LOST Newbie

(EXL) 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel engine has a Job #1 of 1/15/07

(EXL) 3.0L Turbo Diesel engine w/ (DHX) Quadra Trac II has a Job #1 of 4/9/07

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:12 am 
LOST Addict

gd5092 wrote:

So what does this mean? The first CDI Jeep will not be built till 1/15/07 and the first 4x4 version not till 4/9/07 of next year?

So how do you know, you a wheel at Jeep or just a lug-nut?

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

The 1st 3.0L diesel production date for sale in North America is Jan 15 4x4 on the Limited.
Production Quadra Trac II 4x4 option on Limited with diesel starts 4/9/07
Overland models with diesel won't be build until 4/9/07 either.
The TBB full size spare option will also not be available until March 8 as it stands now.
Don't see the diesel being available as an option on the Laredo, but maybe I missed it.

Work for DCX parts manufacturer, not at the wheel. just along for the ride ;)

-G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think they missed the mark on this model. They should have directed the Diesel Option to the Commander and newer Liberty, instead of the older model Grand Cherokee.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:55 pm 
LOST Member

I was at the dealership today and the sales guy new nothing of the 3.0l in the GC!

It amazes me when the guy off the street knows more about the product than the pro :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tom

Samco hoses
Weeks Stage 1
PMF EGR plug kit
ARP Stud
Cracked CAC repaired with epoxy filler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:57 am 
LOST Member

DarbyWalters wrote:
They should have directed the Diesel Option to the Commander and newer Liberty, instead of the older model Grand Cherokee.
What about tossing in a Diesel in ALL (3) models ????

2013 Wrangler Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:32 am 
LOST Newbie

In the UK, most Jeeps now sold (I would guess 75%) are diesels. On the WH (our WK) they even dropped the 4.7LV8 option last year and never imported the V6. We can only buy a 3.0CRD, Hemi or SRT8. It's the same story with the Commander, and we do not have 4 cylinder Gas engined KJs any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:23 am 
LOST Newbie

DCX in the UK now no longer import any gasoline engine Grand cherokee except for the SRT8. All other models are only available with the 3.0CRD. The KJ is only available with the 2.8CRD except for a 3.7L Gas engine with automatic transmission.

Post subject: Re: Report on Grand Cherokee V6 diesel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm just reading up on the GC CRD, as I'm looking at getting a Limited 'S' ( The overland and the regular limiteds have too ugly of an interior!!) and see that in all the "prediction threads" about the CRD GC pretty much everyone was full of shyte, even the ones that had 'reliable sources'. CRD only on 2wd, no quadra track until july o7.......BS.

Not a lot of Limited 'S' models out there.....but darn they are nice!

Just found out that there are a small percentage of Overlands that didi not come with the shyte brown seats...black instead...but they are far and few between.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

5 Year thread resurrection!! :frankie: :frankie:

Is that a new record?

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:17 pm 
LOST Member

dayne66 wrote:
I'm just reading up on the GC CRD, as I'm looking at getting a Limited 'S' ( The overland and the regular limiteds have too ugly of an interior!!) and see that in all the "prediction threads" about the CRD GC pretty much everyone was full of shyte, even the ones that had 'reliable sources'. CRD only on 2wd, no quadra track until july o7.......BS.

Not a lot of Limited 'S' models out there.....but darn they are nice!

Just found out that there are a small percentage of Overlands that didi not come with the shyte brown seats...black instead...but they are far and few between.

My 2007 Overland GC CRD doesn't heave the shyte brown seats in them, thankfully! It has two-tone grey\black seats. While not fond of the wood trim, I'm getting used to it. My only beef is how hard it would be to upgrade the sound system and make it easier to plug in my iPhone or iPod. ;-) But the current sound system is VERY nice.

I have to say after my first month of ownership, I'm digging this Jeep!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited (sold)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got it!!! It's a 2008 GC Limited 'S'...Black and loaded.... 41,000 km....In service date of July 31/09.....with an Ipod hook-up in the glove box.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I own a 2008 WK CRD Overland 4X4.. has plain white leather seats with the Overland embroidery.. SOO glad its not the brown ones as well.. wish I had the 2 tone ones though.. was also looking at an 08 WK Limited HEMI before the purchase.. it had the 2 tone leather.. very nice.

Love this Jeep

2008 WK Overland CRD 4X4 ...82,000 miles and running strong
...I read my ENTIRE Owners Manual!
fixed the Jeep ON the dealers lot and got $10K off the tag for a $52 repair! XD