It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Autoweek says Grand Cherokee CRD only for 2WD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

With my new Autoweek came their annual Buyer's Guide. I looked at the Jeep section. It said the Grand Cherokee CRD would only be for 2WD models. I really hope this is a misprint. Anyone know?

Parrot Bluetooth system;
Custom heated, leather seats (black on the side bolsters, Atlantic Blue center);
Skid plate package, Michelin Cross-Terrains
<b>2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI (twin-turbo V6 diesel)
2008 Mercedes C350 Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

That seems to be a misprint. The latest JEEP magazine has a whole section on the CRD, and then does a lineup of 2007 vehicles. There is no mention of 2wd only CRD,and a lot of mention of towing capacity..etc. Absolutely a misprint. Probably ment to say NOT available on a 2wd.

The mileage stats weren't impressing me. and I'm not a fan of the GC. I'd love to see a big fat diesel in the Wrangler Unlimited.

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You know, it's funny to hear you say you weren't that impressed with the Grand Cherokee. My Jeeps sales guy, who's also a good, personal friend, had me take out a Grand Cherokee Overland while my CRD was getting its glow plugs changed out. I really didn't care for it. I couldn't believe how hard it rode, the seats were realliy uncomfortable, and i just couldn't see what all the $$$ was about. So, since my CRD had to stay an extra couple of days, he gave me a Commander Limited. I know they're essentially the same vehicle, but the Commander felt SO much more refined. He said I wasn't the only one to have made that observation.

In any event, glad the Autoweek article is a misprint. I wish the highway mileage figures I've been seeing for the GC CRD were misprints too. Why does the Mercedes GL320 CDI get 27 highway, but the Grand Cherokee CRD (same engine) gets 23? The GL is HUGE. Does the 7-speed automatic in the Benz make THAT much difference? If so, who knows - the DC cars might get the 7-speed sometime soon now that Lexus has an 8-speed auto. Mercedes will have to out do them - it's the automotive equivilent of an arms race (or comparison of another anatomy part).

Parrot Bluetooth system;
Custom heated, leather seats (black on the side bolsters, Atlantic Blue center);
Skid plate package, Michelin Cross-Terrains
<b>2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI (twin-turbo V6 diesel)
2008 Mercedes C350 Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:37 pm 
LOST Addict

BKH wrote:
You know, it's funny to hear you say you weren't that impressed with the Grand Cherokee. My Jeeps sales guy, who's also a good, personal friend, had me take out a Grand Cherokee Overland while my CRD was getting its glow plugs changed out. I really didn't care for it. I couldn't believe how hard it rode, the seats were realliy uncomfortable, and i just couldn't see what all the $$$ was about. So, since my CRD had to stay an extra couple of days, he gave me a Commander Limited. I know they're essentially the same vehicle, but the Commander felt SO much more refined. He said I wasn't the only one to have made that observation.

In any event, glad the Autoweek article is a misprint. I wish the highway mileage figures I've been seeing for the GC CRD were misprints too. Why does the Mercedes GL320 CDI get 27 highway, but the Grand Cherokee CRD (same engine) gets 23? The GL is HUGE. Does the 7-speed automatic in the Benz make THAT much difference? If so, who knows - the DC cars might get the 7-speed sometime soon now that Lexus has an 8-speed auto. Mercedes will have to out do them - it's the automotive equivilent of an arms race (or comparison of another anatomy part).
The 23 mpg is the overall average of city/highway, they are rated 21 city, 27 hwy and 23 combined if I remember correctly. Which is about the same as our Libery CRD guys.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:49 pm 
LOST Member

Last I heard on the GC CRD is that it will only be available in 4WD. It will have the Mercedes 5 speed automatic.

2005 CRD Limited 4x4 - Deep Beryl Green - Selec-Trac
Trac-Lok - Skid Plates - BFG Radial Long Trail TA's- Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic.

2007 GC CRD Limited. Silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well, there goes the mileage.

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff