It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 4.2 L Cummins diesel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:57 am 
LOST Newbie

Hmmm..... I don't know..... but I already find myself drooling at the prospect of a 4.2L Cummins in a Wrangler! I don't believe 420 ft lbs of torque would be excessive for that body/frame, at least if it were offered in the Rubicon. The Dana 44 series axles standard on the Rubicon are what GM has already been using in their half-ton trucks, Suburbans, Tahoes, etc for years anyway.

There is a shop here locally that drops the Chrysler 5.7 Hemi into LJ's, TJ's, and the new JK's all the time. Granted, they do put the six speed from the half ton trucks, or the truck automatic transmission behind it, but it seems to me the stock Rubicon axles etc, are holding up just fine.

If Wranglers do eventually come with the 4.2 L Cummins, it would seem as long as they came standard with the heavier Rubicon axles, that would be one ideal machine! It would probably idle it's way through the majority of trails we negotiate, and barely sip any fuel while doing so. In fact, I'm guessing freeway mileage would suffer mainly from the Wrangler having the aerodynamics of a brick, and not because of any short comings from the diesel powerplant.

Pep Boys locking gas cap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cummins is in the business to produce diesel engines. If the idiots in Detroit will listen to Cummins and Cummins does all the work, they may drop engines into what we want.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:40 am 
LOST Member

I am a little new and reading though the posts this one is rather funny because it is so outdated. There will be no new diesels anytime soon. GM dropped the fully developed 4.5 diesel with no plans for its return and Chyrsler has no plans for diesels that are not in full size ram trucks. Ford has released the 6.7 powerstroke designed in house. Nissan is not going to release a diesel any stime soon same for Toyota, Mazda, Honda, or virtually every other manufaturer except Mercedes and VW. It is just sad. :cry: GM should have sold the 4.5 engine to Jeep so it could be installed in the new Jeep Cherokee!

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Greasey Bob wrote:
I am a little new and reading though the posts this one is rather funny because it is so outdated. There will be no new diesels anytime soon. GM dropped the fully developed 4.5 diesel with no plans for its return and Chyrsler has no plans for diesels that are not in full size ram trucks. Ford has released the 6.7 powerstroke designed in house. Nissan is not going to release a diesel any stime soon same for Toyota, Mazda, Honda, or virtually every other manufaturer except Mercedes and VW. It is just sad. :cry: GM should have sold the 4.5 engine to Jeep so it could be installed in the new Jeep Cherokee!

The problem is with the EPA/CARB and the Acid Head Hippies who are in charge, on the big power grab. For an Auto/Truck company or Oil company to fight the EPA/CARB they would be on a suicide mission with no chance of coming out ahead even if they win in court big time and all the Acid Head Hippies would get convicted for falsifying data (as they have been caught doing) they use to cook up the Male Bovine Excrement they use to make up new regulations and were to go to prison for the rest of their lives, the companies would still loose. With some of the purposed regulations in the pipeline, gassers will be under the gun too.
The only hope I see for us Diesel Lovers is a major technological breakthrough that reduces emissions or a Landmark Legal Case in the US Supreme Court that greatly neuters the EPAs and CARBs power. Even with that if they are not limited in their power, they will take another hit of Acid and dream up more crap.
In my lifetime O.S.H.A. has gone from being a big problem to an agency where most try to exceed O.S.H.A. safety requirements. If we can get our Government agencies like the EPA & CARB under control, we may see that day also.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:09 pm 
LOST Addict

warp2diesel wrote:
Greasey Bob wrote:

The problem is with the EPA/CARB and the Acid Head Hippies who are in charge, on the big power grab. For an Auto/Truck company or Oil company to fight the EPA/CARB they would be on a suicide mission with no chance of coming out ahead even if they win in court big time and all the Acid Head Hippies would get convicted for falsifying data (as they have been caught doing) they use to cook up the Male Bovine Excrement they use to make up new regulations and were to go to prison for the rest of their lives, the companies would still loose. With some of the purposed regulations in the pipeline, gassers will be under the gun too.
The only hope I see for us Diesel Lovers is a major technological breakthrough that reduces emissions or a Landmark Legal Case in the US Supreme Court that greatly neuters the EPAs and CARBs power. Even with that if they are not limited in their power, they will take another hit of Acid and dream up more crap.
In my lifetime O.S.H.A. has gone from being a big problem to an agency where most try to exceed O.S.H.A. safety requirements. If we can get our Government agencies like the EPA & CARB under control, we may see that day also.

:BINGO: :BINGO: :BINGO:

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch