It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '86-'94 Jeep Renault Alliance XJ\MJ Model 77, 78
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Any 2.1L Cherokee\Commanche Diesel owners out there? Just acquired an '86 Cherokee 5sp 2wd 4dr, 90kmi, in (un)fairly bad condition, posting my preliminary findings and initial discoveries here - will edit this post to update info as time progresses - feel free to post your info\experiences here - NO flame wars, please, tho negative owner-derived experience is welcome - this Topic\post is about discovery and future reference for those XJ\MJ owners who have been feeling even more abandoned (by DCJ) and alone than the Liberty KJ CRD people

To wit: the '86 is a Renault J8S 2.1L 126cuin 85hp TurboDiesel, tilted ~15* to the left - has a small ~6" shock-absorber mounted between the chassis and a bracket on the lower right front of the engine (Diesel shudder, anyone?) - instrumentation is coolant temp, oil press, combo 15psi Boost\vacuum, and tachometer - Diesel Fuel Only, of course - preliminary findings indicate a Garret\AirResearch wastegated turbocharger - OHC engine is all aluminum, 2v head and block, replaceable cast-iron cylinder sleeves - crank-driven toothed rubber timing belt drives the camshaft and German-made Roosa Master IP (a Stanadyne Brand) - IP and injectors are mechanical - Bosch timed-glow system - Stanadyne fuel filter\manager with Fuel heater, W-I-F and Vacuum sensors - have not located a fuel lift pump, tho have not been long under the vehicle - Donaldson air filter housing - engine-driven diaphragm-type vacuum pump, for vacuum brake booster, cruise, and HVAC system, is mounted on the left side of the engine block - charge-air cooler behind the right headlite, ducted to area between lite and radiator - engine oil cooler between a\c condenser and grille - remote oil-filter assy on the right fender well, incl bypass valving and oil press switch, via neoprene rubber hoses - engine-coolant reservoir similar in shape, size, and position to KJ unit - v-belt driven clutched fan, CW rotation - CCV draws from the aluminum valve cover thru a rectangular thermo-plastic vapor-separator box to the 'charger inlet, precip box has a bottom drain connected to the oil pan (hmmmm, where have I seen that config?) - at 90kmi, 'charger inlet and cac hoses are not exceeding oily, as has been seen on the KJ, tho the Cherokee has been in storage since 1993 - AX5 5sp manual trans - Girling hydraulic clutch setup - and, of course, the coil-sprung four trailing-link trackbar-located Dana straight front axle, minus the drive diff - easy change-over to 4wd, by subbing-in the Dana 30\44 drive front axle and adding the NP\NV xfer case, for the intrepid gear-head - as I earlier stated, application of care and thrill of discovery - more later..............

Later - found it, low driver's side behind the vacuum pump - vacuum pump is driven by a timing-belt driven intermediate shaft, which in turn drives a gear on a common shaft between the vac pump and engine oil pump - intermediate shaft also has a cam lobe at the rear to operate a diaphragm-type fuel lift pump, which, as we all know, is designed for pull-type service, pulling fuel from the rear-mounted fuel tank to the engine - more even later.............

Later: whups, my bad! What appeared to be the fuel pump from beneath the XJ was just a dirt-grease-grime distorted underside view of the vacuum pump - Stanadyne fuel-manager fuel outlet connects directly to the IP fuel inlet - if there is an auxiliary fuel lift pump it must be in the tank - so far, I've found only one wire to the tank, which would be the fuel level gauge - also, IP may be Bosch unit: OEM markings are difficult to read\decipher at this time - later..........

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: '86-'94 Jeep Renault Alliance XJ\MJ Model 77, 78
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

Kool find GMCTD!!
I'm drooling strongly!!
I will watch this thread with great interest!
I would love a 4X4 TD XJ or especially an MJ with an earlier mechanical IP motor!
I was in Prescott (Northern Arizona) a few weeks ago and red-lite side by side a very very clean late 80's 4X4 gasser MJ and she could tell I was slobbering over her truck. Just something about those things!
Here we are contemplating worrying about SCR's with their urea and or DPF's and scared to run anything more than B2 and becoming aware the dust emitted by the wearing tires is more than the PM's coming out of modern turbodiesel's exhaust and you get to play with that beautiful Renault I4 with its elegant simplicity. You gotta love that!
And you get to do a front drive axle/ new xfer case conversion--Wow!
Roland

215x85 LRD BFG Commercial A/T's, Rola Rack, V6 airbox, Fumoto valve
10K winch, B5 Biodiesel (ULSD CP3 lube)
Its a Diesel baby!