It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Green Diesel Engineering WK CRD tune
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Our newest tune offering focuses on improving the Grand Cherokee CRD fuel economy and part/full throttle performance.

The average fuel economy gain is roughly 3-5mpg depending on driving style and average speed. This is accomplished by optimizing the fuel combustion through changes in injection timing, fuel pressure, boost pressure, pilot injection events. EGR issues are eliminated and the smoke emissions are reduced substantially. For vehicles equipped with a DPF (particulate filter), the regeneration frequency is less and backpressure tends to be lower further improving the fuel economy. In normal driving the exhaust temps are 50-100 F lower than stock to improve engine and turbo life. The soot loading of the oil is also reduced.

Off the line performance is improved through improved combustion and an optimized turbo vane position. The 0-60 mph results show the GDE tune to be about 1 second faster than stock. This equates to about a 40hp gain at 4000rpm. Torque is increased from 1800-4000rpm linearly by about 40 ft*lb.

We have previously tuned the KJ CRD and have yet to have a dissatisfied customer.

The tune plus flash/scan tool is mormally priced at $750, but the first 10 forum members will receive a $250 credit. This is contingent on providing hand calculated fuel economy data for the stock WK and then supplying post tune FE data for peer review.

Contact infomation is available through www.greendieselengineering.com

Thanks, GDE

Post subject: Re: Green Diesel Engineering WK CRD tune
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:15 am 
LOST Member

I'm on it like flies on brown stinkies. If i can get 3 mpg better out of this beast i'll be :BANANA:

2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2007 Jeep GC Diesel Limited

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:51 am 
LOST Newbie

I get my 2008 this week!

BFG ALL TERAIN RADIAL T/A 245/70/16s
Pro Comp Series 7089 wheels
Factory Light Bar
Magna Flow straight through muffler
SEGR
Equus CanOBD2(R) Scan Tool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:12 pm 
LOST Member

I've had the tune for over a month and have gone from 23 mpg to over 26 mpg's. It's amazing to me that I can get this kind of mileage out of an AWD vehicle with 3.73 gears and weighs over 2 tons. The engine @ 70 mph is spinning almost 2500 RPM. That can't be good for a diesel but noone makes taller gears for this beast. The tires on the WK are 29.5" one and whe I go to replace them I'll look for some 32" tires that aren't too heavy to put on, that should help some. Kind of makes me want my KJ CRD back so I can get over 30 MPG's.

Jason

2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just drove from Detroit to Orlando and back.
First time I've posted a 500 mile tank (driving 75 mph and a car top carrier no less). Actually I hit over 500 miles three times on the trip.
25-26 mpg at those speeds vs. a previous average of 22 mpg. Not bad.

2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift 1000. 225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers, Ipod kit & seat covers, Samco hoses - totaled and gone. 2008 WK Laredo 3.0L diesel - AirLift 1000, wife won't let me mess with it much. 2013 JK Sahara on order.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:47 pm 
LOST Member

I have had the tune for a while and the best tank I have gotten was 591 miles. I could of gotten 600 but i always use the same station to fill up and would not of made it back. That tank netted me 28.4 MPG, but I was doing everything I could think of for fuel economy. I filled the tires to 40 psi, never got the engine over 2100 RPM (55MPH), would coast and downshift when coming too a stop, draft anything I could, no A/C, and took roof rack off. I always got 500+ miles to a tank on summer fuel. now on winter fuel I get upper 400's. Summertime I averaged 25.8-27.2 MPG, and the last tank on winter fuel was 24.8 MPG which is up from 21.9 from last year with no tune.

All I can say is the tune is amazing, I get 12-15% better mileage without trying so the tune will pay for itself at least 5 times over the life of this beast.

On a side note I watched motorweek and the MB ML350? with this same engine has 455 FT/LBS of torque, but it also has urea injection. not bad for a 3.0 liter.

2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

What does it mean that EGR issues are "eliminated?"

Can we get the EGR function turned off for "off road use only."?

2005 CRD (RIP 2/5/10)

2008 Grand Cherokee Limited WK, CRD, 4x4, lift, 32's.
2008 HEMI Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JK, lots of extras

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

would it be better to coast in gear so the fuel shuts off or does this motor not do that. I know my TDI jetta actually shuts off the fuel when coasting in gear but if i coast in neutral it still uses fuel to keep the motor going.
later
Erick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Diesels only use fuel when they need to make positive torque. So yes, if the transmission and vehicle momentum are keeping the engine above idle speed no fuel is being consumed at that time.

EGR issues are eliminated because, well, EGR is, I believe, eliminated.

2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift 1000. 225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers, Ipod kit & seat covers, Samco hoses - totaled and gone. 2008 WK Laredo 3.0L diesel - AirLift 1000, wife won't let me mess with it much. 2013 JK Sahara on order.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:04 am 
LOST Member

Could you provide an update on this tune?
ARE YOU STILL OFFERING THE TUNE FOR $500 TO THE FIRST 10 CUSTOMERS?
Could you clarify elimination of EGR?
I'm planning to install a Provent and replace the faulty turbo intake seal and intake tube with the upgraded parts this weekend. darn thing is slowly puking oil over the intake manifold and it is now dripping on my nice new alternator and belts.

Stealership says I need a new turbo since they also found oil in the intercooler. I disagree, we'll see.

05 Liberty CRD Limited
Rocketchip Level 1, Provent

03 Jetta TDI Wgn 5 spd
Rocketchip Level 5 with upgraded: turbo, DD clutch, fuel delivery, intake and exhaust systems. Deletes: EGR cooler, EGR, Cat.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading it in English, thank a veteran.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:54 am 
LOST Addict

The first 10 customer deal ended about two days after we posted it. You posted in a WK thread, but your sig line says you have a Liberty.

Eliminate EGR = no more soot entering your intake...ever

The Liberty tune have been in the field since July 2009 and the WK tunes since early 2010, both have very good results from end users.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:15 pm 
LOST Member

GDE, thanks for clarification. Signature updated.

So I could remove the Provent and return to the stock EGR configuration and not have to worry about prying eyes during emissions inspection? Not that those performing the inspections would have a clue what they were looking at any way...

Any further updates on the hot tune testing and whether it will be offered with or without further upgrades/modification to intake and exhaust systems?

Is your main concern with the hot tune, pushing the limits of the turbo with respect to maximum boost pressures or sustained higher boost pressures?

Thanks~Mark

05 Liberty CRD Limited

03 Jetta TDI Wgn 5 spd
Rocketchip Level 5 with upgraded: turbo, DD clutch, fuel delivery, intake and exhaust systems. Deletes: EGR cooler, EGR, Cat.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading it in English, thank a veteran.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:18 am 
LOST Addict

The tunes are not detectable with a scanner and typically pass state emission testing. You could always revert back to stock with flash tool for testing.

The WK hot tune is released and does not need any other hardware changes on the vehicle. In the early stages we were seeing some over boost, but this has been remedied on the test fleet with more open vanes on turbo and slightly advanced timing.

The main concern is a P0046 error code. This is a somewhat common fault on stock WK CRD and is a failure of the Rotary Electric Actuator mounted on turbo that controls vane position. In stock configuration, the REA can short out due to excessive heat soak, mainly in the summer months. It seems to be from a bad design of the thermal management in the engine bay near the turbo. The HOT tune pushes the turbo harder and can produce more heat. We have minimized the potential for issues, but we can not rule it out, especially considering the problem also occurs on stock WKs.

GDE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:52 pm 
LOST Member

GDE, thanks for clarifying. Any thoughts regarding protecting the REA from excessive heat soak such as running without the engine cover or using insulation wrap?

05 Liberty CRD Limited

03 Jetta TDI Wgn 5 spd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 pm 
LOST Addict

The wrap will only delay the time to reach peak temp around the REA. Better airflow would be best, but it is very tight in that area.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:06 pm 
LOST Member

Noted. Cover removed, same as on my TDI.

Received and loaded the Hot Tune yesterday. I haven't touched the exhaust or intake systems yet and yet the GC sounds a little throatier under acceleration with the Hot Tune. The wife noticed it right away since the GC is her daily driver. All grins now that the turbo lag and EGR function have been eliminated. Thanks, Kieth.

I'm looking forward to installing the DPF delete pipe and adding the DPF delete option to the tune whenever the next the group buy batch of pipes is completed...

Any of you guys running one of the AFE panel air filters in place of the OEM panel filter?

05 Liberty CRD Limited

03 Jetta TDI Wgn 5 spd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi GDE, are you still offering a $250 discount on the Eco flash tune?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

If you bothered to read the thread, GDE said the deal was over after 2 days as he already sold to 10 customers.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:00 am 
LOST Newbie

can anyone answer my post here: viewtopic.php?f=156&t=82979

I wanted some feedback for users that installed the flash.

thanks!