It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 05 Liberty CRD Lift Pump Needed?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have been having a lot of problems with losing prime in my 05 Liberty CRD. 119000 miles. No codes, sometimes I lose engine power until I pump the fuel filter, other times, the engine shakes and shutters like it is running out of fuel. I change my fuel filter regularly, have replaced the filter housing with the updated part (heard that the heater plug could cause an air leak), changed the regulator, still having intermittent problems. I drive 150+ miles a day for work, and don't want to be pulling over on the side of I75 to prime it -- lots of idiot drivers out there who will probably run me over.

Reading posts here, it sounds like a lift pump will solve my problems. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lift pump brand/model? Is an under the hood or near tank option better? Any install tips would be good too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject: Re: 05 Liberty CRD Lift Pump Needed?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

howdy MIdzzl Welcome to LOST

once you've replaced the Fuel head - the next leak points are the connectors at the tank
they're designed for a pressurized system (i.e Gasser).
So you can try replacing those with hose clamps.
If you go with the lift pump - I like the in-tank unit - wasn't too hard - a bit more work than an inline - but looks factory.

FYI - if you post over in CRD love that torque - you get more responses -Jeep diesel - tends to be for non-CRD diesels...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:05 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks will check the connectors and will repost in the CRD area. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

MIdzzl wrote:
I have been having a lot of problems with losing prime in my 05 Liberty CRD. 119000 miles. No codes, sometimes I lose engine power until I pump the fuel filter, other times, the engine shakes and shutters like it is running out of fuel. I change my fuel filter regularly, have replaced the filter housing with the updated part (heard that the heater plug could cause an air leak), changed the regulator, still having intermittent problems. I drive 150+ miles a day for work, and don't want to be pulling over on the side of I75 to prime it -- lots of idiot drivers out there who will probably run me over.

Reading posts here, it sounds like a lift pump will solve my problems. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lift pump brand/model? Is an under the hood or near tank option better? Any install tips would be good too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I had a 2006 CRD with the same issues. I changed the fuel head assembly to upgraded version, I ordered an in-tank Air-tek lift pump which was $300.00 less than a stealership one and the same part. I ordered a new 2007 gasser wiring harness and had to move 2 pins to make the fuel sensor/gas gauge work. You can order any 05-07 that will work. My CRD running quality is superb especially with the GDE Eco-tune. The next mod will be to eliminate the CAT and restrictive stock muffler. Follow Sam Noob's guide and you will be satisfied with his recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

Is there a good place to install an inline lift pump?

Are there any links to good lift pump installation threads?

I was thinking of using the Lift pump that is OEM on a 1993 GM 6.5 diesel. I have several vehicles with GM 6.5 diesels and they all use the same lift pump.

Is there a good place to wire in the lift pump for safety? Such as off an oil pressure switch like the 6.5's have?

Are there any concerns with aDDING A LIFT PUMP? Such as over pressurizing the system? Can you just hotwire an inline lift pump and let it run for priming and diagnostic purposes, as you can do on the GM's?

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

jrsavoie wrote:

Are there any links to good lift pump installation threads?

I was thinking of using the Lift pump that is OEM on a 1993 GM 6.5 diesel. I have several vehicles with GM 6.5 diesels and they all use the same lift pump.

Is there a good place to wire in the lift pump for safety? Such as off an oil pressure switch like the 6.5's have?

Are there any concerns with aDDING A LIFT PUMP? Such as over pressurizing the system? Can you just hotwire an inline lift pump and let it run for priming and diagnostic purposes, as you can do on the GM's?

In-tank lift pump is the best for it is mounted in the stock location in the fuel tank. Get a Gasser wire harness or modify the stock one for power to the lift pump. The bean counters cheaped out on the lift pump during production and didn't install one, result a sucker fuel pump and air in fuel problems. Like I said upgrade your filter head assembly, install lift pump and clean your MAP sensor. Add a GDE ECO-Tune that eliminates EGR. You can do this yourself. Sam Noob's Guide has much info about these tunes and is on this site.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

Cal S. wrote:
jrsavoie wrote:

Are there any links to good lift pump installation threads? viewtopic.php?t=23099&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

In-tank lift pump is the best for it is mounted in the stock location in the fuel tank. Get a Gasser wire harness or modify the stock one for power to the lift pump. The bean counters cheaped out on the lift pump during production and didn't install one, result a sucker fuel pump and air in fuel problems. Like I said upgrade your filter head assembly, install lift pump and clean your MAP sensor. Add a GDE ECO-Tune that eliminates EGR. You can do this yourself. Sam Noob's Guide has much info about these tunes and is on this site.

The fuel filter head head has already been repaired. I've been spending hours trying to get through all the info. I'm still wondering if there is any future in installing a fuel filter manager out of a 6.5 diesel in this. I know others have used different fuel filter housings. Has there been a definitive decision on which works/fits best? I like the top loads.
The reason I would lean towards 6.5 compatible parts is that I already keep them all on hand. I have 3, my daughter has one and my son has 2.

Is the back flow preventer to return necessary? I've been reading through and got kind of lost on that point.

Is there a definitive parts list for the lift pump add? I've found a couple of lists that seem to be 2007 vintage. Has anything changed?

Is there a list of acronyms for noobs? What is the SEGR/ORM Kit?

viewtopic.php?t=23033

viewtopic.php?t=24527

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23099&start=60

viewtopic.php?t=26385&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

http://colorado4wheel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700