It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty KJ CRD or Grand Cherokee WK CRD
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've posted previously on looking for a diesel SUV and now I've narrowed it to one of these two choices....the 05-06 Liberty with the 2.8 VM engine or the 07-08 G.C. with the M-B engine. I know they both will need the elephant hose mod, EGR delete, and the GDE tune or something similar to at least be reliable...so now I'm looking towards longevity....any feedback on which one could go the distance with minimal repairs....

Thanks,

Jon

Post subject: Re: Liberty KJ CRD or Grand Cherokee WK CRD
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've got both. Although I really love it, my 2006 Liberty CRD has been nothing but a money pit. I have spent well over $6500 on repairs in the past year. It had 71K miles on it when the timing belt broke. $5600 to fix it and I even purchased the lifters and rockers myself (from wobbly, a Lost member). Part of that cost was for a new turbo and both cams. That was 3K miles ago and it's now back in the shop for an unknown issue, won't start??? :furious:
Just last weekend I purchased a 2007 Grand Cherokee Limited CRD with 40K miles on the clock.
Haven't had it long enough to get a real test but so far it outpreforms the Liberty by every measure. The ride is much better and the Mercedes 3.0 V-6 is a real powerhouse and hopefully a better motor. I got 23+ mpg on the 450 mile trip bringing it home running 75-80 mph. I never got that mileage from the Liberty even though it's a 4 cylinder. Some Liberty owners claim 30+ mpg but I think they must be smoking something, I don't think it happens. The one thing that gave me a shot in the wallet is the oil that is recommended for the 3.0. I went to 5 places before I found someone who carries it, then paid $8.95 per quart for it. It takes 10 quarts for a change! With filter that makes it a $100 oil change if done myself.
I'll probably keep both although I have a problem trusting the Liberty after having to bring it home on a rope 3 times in the last 6 months. :grim:
This forum is full of great information on the Liberty and there are some very informed folks here willing to help but there is very little information on the Cherokee.
Hind sight is great and with what I have experienced I wish I had purchased the Grand Cherokee crd first and never saw a Liberty crd.
Which ever way you decide to go ~ good luck. :JEEPIN:

New factory thermostat, new fuel filter head
Timing belt,water pump,lifters,rockers,cams,turbo at 71K again @ 73K

2007 Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Limited, Stone White, Gray leather seats
All the bells and whistles
Ehm
2 " Lift, tune coming soon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have both as well. Bought the GC brand new. It is awesome. the swirl motor problem is frustrating, but there are good work arounds for it. The tow capacity of the GC is 7500lbs. Yep, huge, I've pulled other cars around with that thing, and it wasn't phased by the load. Lots of Dodge sprinters around so there are a ton of mechanics that can work on it <- but don't trust your jeep dealer unless he has some dodge mechanics, and you may want to 'interview' them beforehand.

Just got the Liberty 05 CRD.
drives great, but just can't match the comfort and ride quality of the GC. Although I prefer the select-trac, as I can tow it using the GC with all four wheels on the ground.

jp
-------------
07 WK CRD
05 KJ CRD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:53 am 
LOST Member

I have a 2006 Liberty CRD, and it has been quite a good vehicle. I bought it at 84,000 miles, and now have 132,000 on it. I equipped it with the GDE ECO-tune and the GDE TCM, and believe that was a fantastic investment.

I tow a 5K lb boat and off-road occasionally. I love the thing. Traffic moves slower in New England, so the TCM lets me cruise at 55 mph (norm for traffic here) at about 1,500 revs. Best hand-calculated tank I have ever had was 30.7mpg (on a road trip to Charleston, SC and back). Before I added the lift, I was averaging (see fuelly tag below) about 24 mpg and with the lift and larger AT tires, I get about 22 mpg (lift & tires added October 2012).

I am, however, considering the WK CRD because of the larger rear cargo capacity (I have a Mastiff, so the Liberty's way-back is a little tight for him. The Mrs. and I are discussing having a baby, also, so having a car seat and my 8, 10 year olds in the rear seat would be tight. I'd expect the overall average mpg to be about the same as I am getting now, unless GDE has some more magic I can buy.

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I own an 08 WK CRD 4X4... LOVE it! I've read a LOT about the two.. the majority agree on the WK

2008 WK Overland CRD 4X4 ...82,000 miles and running strong
...I read my ENTIRE Owners Manual!
fixed the Jeep ON the dealers lot and got $10K off the tag for a $52 repair! XD