It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Odometer and Trip Odometer off by 110 miles per tank
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and had a question about the odometer readings. I check my MPG after every fill up simply by taking the trip odometer, which is zeroed every time I fill up, and dividing by the gallons of gas put into the tank at my fill-up. Today was 196.6/8,3 gallons which = 23.68 with my GDE Eco Tune.

I also use an Application on my phone to calculate my MPG, but the app requests my odometer reading. Between fill-ups, my odometer read that I drove 251 miles. That math looks like this, 251/8.3= 30.24.

Betty, as I've named her, has standard tires and no upgrades. I didn't own Betty long enough to test her MPG Pre-Eco Tune.

A few points, and a few questions.

Points: I really like the idea of telling people that I get 30mpg mixed city and highway driving, but I am relatively sure it isn't true. Even Keith at GDE said that he guarantees 3-5% improvement in MPG which would put me at around 27.3MPG on the highway. That math is here: 26 MPG being the sticker quoted MPG... 26*5%=1.3 ... 1.3+26=27.3.

If my standard OD is off by 110 per tank, that's about 3000 miles per year ADDED to the OD which means by 2005 with 146k miles actually may only have 125k? (22MPG = 27 Tanks per year @12,000mi per year over 7 years). Not to go skeptic, but is this a car manufacture creation? I don't want this to turn into a conspiracy theory thread, but just a thought.

I am happy with my GDE Eco Tune, but be warned, anyone claiming 30+MPG should check use their trip OD, standard OD, AND GPS OD before claiming 30mpg.

Questions: Is this normal? Has anyone else had this issue? Anyway to fix this?

Current
05 CRD - Betty
Pioneer x6500
Memphis Speakers
GDE Eco Tune

Past
1998 Wrangler Sahara - J'quan
Alpine iDA-X305
Infinity Kappa
Line-x Body
Undercoating
Two piece hard top

2000 Jeep Cherokee
Clarion
Infinity

Post subject: Re: Odometer and Trip Odometer off by 110 miles per tank
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:02 am 
LOST Addict

My km based ODO and trip track each other. It's hard to believe that they wouldn't be sharing the same sensors and code but this is Chrysler we're talking about so nothing would surprise me.

They are about 5% low when compared to GPS and roadside markers.

Are you the original owner? I'm wondering if it's ever been re-calibrated at some point in it's life and the ODO and trip need done separately. Yeah, it's a long shot but you never know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 am 
LOST Newbie

I am not the original owner. I was told that the trip OD and standard OD are tracked by two separate gears.

I was a little confused, are your trip OD and standard OD syncing up? My trip OD syncs up with my GPS, but the standard OD is WAY off as I said.

Steve

Current
05 CRD - Betty
Pioneer x6500
Memphis Speakers
GDE Eco Tune

Past
1998 Wrangler Sahara - J'quan
Alpine iDA-X305
Infinity Kappa
Line-x Body
Undercoating
Two piece hard top

2000 Jeep Cherokee
Clarion
Infinity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 am 
LOST Addict

Yes, every km on the trip also registers on the standard odometer. They are in sync. I know the speedo uses its own sensor but I wasn't aware that the trip and standard odometers used different sensors.

Not many people are looking at this section of the forum. Most of the CRD owners are blinkered and only look here viewforum.php?f=5 so you will get more responses if you create a new thread there.