It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Ecodiesel WK2 grand Cherokee now orderable!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

CRD related as Jeep dives into it again.
Just about everyone knows these things were coming but the order gates finally opened today with delivery Oct 13.
And just about everyone knows this will be a V6 VM Motori Clean Diesel with urea injection.
Interesting findings as I dug deeper as I am considering buying one of these SUVs.
Noted:
--It uses solenoid style injectors not piezos (cheaper way to go?)

--It does have a fuel talk lift pump! Tanks are a sattlebag style on both sides of driveshaft and has 2 pumps as one feeds to other side of sattlebag then that pump gets fuel to a Bosh CP4 HPIP (high pressure tinjection pump) getting to 1800 Bar ( 29000 psi! )

--Has a two filter water separator filter system ( like those FASS performance units) that sits behind transfer case. Service calls for transfer case skid plate be removed to access filters .

--It has ceramic glow plugs(!!).

--Best I can tell axle diffs are Dana and front is aluminum BUT so is the rear! Highest axle ratio is 3.54 (application for trail rated Overland with electronic controlled LSD on rear). Axles are fixed like KJ front but this is fully independent suspension.

--Diesel only and like VW CR just a little RUG and injector pump is shot with no warranty .

--It uses a water cooled (not oil cooled ) turbo charger.

It's another VM Motori So best to get the extended warranty for drive train(regular warranty stops at 36 K miles).

Will the ceramic glow plugs be a problem again? Will the EGR SCR DPF systems totally goof up the intake and foul the Map too? Will it have a less than perfect thermostat / viscous heater system? Did they use stronger head studs like ARP ensure minimum head failures? This motor is based on high quality D2 used in Europe and US Diesel is junk and has Chrysler seen this going thru this time and give the US spec engine more robust engineering in the areas
needed? We shall see!

Roland

PS At least with Clean Diesel the dust created by the wearing tires of this vehicle is more than the soot level coming out of the tailpipe!

215x85 LRD BFG Commercial A/T's, Rola Rack, V6 airbox, Fumoto valve
10K winch, B5 Biodiesel (ULSD CP3 lube)
Its a Diesel baby!

Post subject: Re: CRD Ecodiesel WK2 grand Cherokee now orderable!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:
--It uses a water cooled (not oil cooled ) turbo charger.

Water cooled means oiled bearings + water cooling. This is very common in modern turbos. It is much better than a turbo that just gets oil from the engine.

Quote:
--It does have a fuel talk lift pump! Tanks are a sattlebag style on both sides of driveshaft and has 2 pumps as one feeds to other side of sattlebag then that pump gets fuel to a Bosh CP4 HPIP (high pressure tinjection pump) getting to 1800 Bar ( 29000 psi! )

Does it still have the pump head like the KJ and pickup trucks do?

Quote:
--It has ceramic glow plugs(!!).

I would worry about the glow plugs.

Also the transmission: The V6 should be smoother but if they use the V8's transmission verbatim like the KJ CRD expect issues. If a few parts are changed such as the torque converter and the sater, it may be ok. The 845RE(STD v8 transmission) is related to 45RE used in the KJ. The 8HP70(listed on Jeep build app for V6 diesel) I know nothing about.
The wikipedia page has some info and it looks like Chrysler has been putting it behind v6 gas engines and it is also being used behind gas v8 engines by jeep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

What about the Diesel exhaust fluid? How much does it hold and how many miles will that get you? Does the computer kill the engine when you run out or let you run until you turn it off? Can you start the engine with an empty DEF tank?

What is the oil change interval and what type of oil? I'm guessing normal diesel truck oil same as older KJ CRD VM engine.

18 Ram 3500 crewcab flatbed
kubota M6800

Post subject: Re: CRD Ecodiesel WK2 grand Cherokee now orderable!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just built one. You have to get a limited or above. My build was 50,000. That's too much. Give me a diesel that I can afford.