It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant leak - Compass MK 2.2 CRD 2012
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Got problems with the cooling system but repair shop don't have time to take a look until next 3 weeks. Wonder if I could get help diagnosing possible problems.

1. First symptom I saw was when driving at highway and the coolant temperature suddenly roofed and dash board indicated high coolant temperature. This was under such a brief time that I didn't even have time to react, the needle quickly falled down again to normal operating range and warning light went off. Wrote it of as temporary sensorproblem. But a few minutes later I noticed the needle slowly travel towards higher temperatures, warning light came on and I quickly pushed down the clutch and I could see the needle stop travelling but stay in the high temp zone, quickly took an exit i passed of the highway and reached a gas station a minute later, by then the needle had started to drop down again. Turned engine off. Opened the hood and noticed cooling reservoir being empty also saw traces of coolant in engine compartment and traces of steam being evaporated through reservoir cap. I was not able to find any radiator cap, so I filled the cooling system through the reservoir with coolant, ran the engine until level had dropped in the reservoir, filled more and repeated the process until the level of the reservoir didn't drop anymore. Engine showed normal operating temperature but I could hear a weak hissing sound I have not noticed before. Decided to drive home and made frequent stops, temperature was indicated as normal but each time I stopped the reservoir was empty, no traces of leaks however, I always topped up the reservoir. At home the reservoir was empty but I filled it up and let the engine run waiting to see the moment when it drops, it never did however so I rewed the engine and then noticed things starting to happen in the reservoir, level started to drop and some coolant gurgled back but at a lower pace than fluid was leaving the reservoir. Took a look under the car and noticed through the plastic covers coolant dripping, seems to be coming from lower part of the engine near the pulleys.

2. Any idea of the problem? My idea is that it leaks from the water pump, that it either has a faulty axle seal or bad gasket. Why this happened on a low mileage 3 year old car is also a mystery to me... but perhaps the thermostat was jammed and the high pressured made the system leak through the water pump which has now become a problem.

3. Why did I see a bump in the coolant temperature only fro a brief second? Where is the sensor located? And also seems odd that needle later on showed normal operating temperature even though I was clearly loosing coolant? If the high temperature warning was only on for a minute and I quickly put engine in neutral, how likely is it that I made any permanent damage to the engine?

4. Anyone knows where I can find repair manuals? I would really like to take of some of the plastic covers to get a closer look on the location of the leak. And why can't I find any radiator cap?
Edit: I believe it turns out I have a closed coolant system, that explains why no radiator cap is to be found.

Would greatly appreciate any advice.

Post subject: Re: Coolant leak - Compass MK 2.2 CRD 2012
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Found the leak. Just close to the water pump in a rubber seal.

Edit: Image doesn't want to show up inline, use this link instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uegjmxpv6r4zvvv/2015-08-06%2020.39.36.jpg

If I would speculate in why this happened then my best guess is that the one who fitted this rubber hose used to much force when clamping it down. This should not happen on a 3 year old rubber house with such a low mileage engine.

Does anyone know where I could obtain replacement instructions? Spare part number? And also instructions on how to flush the whole cooling system.