It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Normal AC Operation or should I be concerned?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've searched and read but can't seem to find anything so I'm going to ask it, if there is already a thread if someone will kindly point me in the right direction. I'd just purchased my KK and I'm a little worried about how the ac is acting.

When I turn the fan on the first two notches, VERY little air comes out, on high, it sounds like its really blowing, but I just don't feel like its blowing like it should. It cools me off now, but if it was 100 degrees out I doubt it would.

I've also noticed when I first crank the jeep, it takes like five seconds or so for the blower to start?

It also seems like it puts out a ton of water out the ac overflow. Friday on the way home I had to stop somewhere for about fifteen minutes and I had the hound in the Jeep with me so I left the air going for him and when I came back out there was a pretty decent puddle under it, again considering it was only about 70-75 outside.

I got the extended warranty, so I'm not too worried about it, I just wondered if this was normal or if something is wrong, is it an easy fix?

Post subject: Re: Normal AC Operation or should I be concerned?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Mine does most of this too. But on the first two notches mine seems to be ok. With the air not turning on for a few seconds, this is very normal. All of them do that (at least the 2012's that I have been in.) I think it is designed to not blow out blistering hot air when you first get in. Whether or not it was designed for this, I love this feature. The leak that you are experiencing I think is more of a condensation thing somewhere and they (Chrysler) didn't put a drip pan like in other cooling systems. Mine "leaks" like this as well, but it didn't smell like a chemical, so I concluded that it was just water and, hence, just a condensation issue. I am no mechanic and these are just my ideas, but I know that a lot of what your are experience is very normal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:25 am 
LOST Newbie

Adam wrote:
Mine does most of this too. But on the first two notches mine seems to be ok. With the air not turning on for a few seconds, this is very normal. All of them do that (at least the 2012's that I have been in.) I think it is designed to not blow out blistering hot air when you first get in. Whether or not it was designed for this, I love this feature. The leak that you are experiencing I think is more of a condensation thing somewhere and they (Chrysler) didn't put a drip pan like in other cooling systems. Mine "leaks" like this as well, but it didn't smell like a chemical, so I concluded that it was just water and, hence, just a condensation issue. I am no mechanic and these are just my ideas, but I know that a lot of what your are experience is very normal.

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to reply! Like I said, it "seems normal", just wasn't sure. I'll just go with your idea that it keeps it from blowing out hot air right away in the summer :seuss:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:47 am 
LOST Newbie

Would be worth checking if it is fitted with pollen filter and if they are clean. They could be restricting airflow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:04 am 
LOST Newbie

fairmont1998 wrote:
Would be worth checking if it is fitted with pollen filter and if they are clean. They could be restricting airflow.

Good point! I assumed mine didn't have one, because its more of a base model, but its possible that it might, I'll look! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:09 pm 
LOST Addict

You have a 2011, you have a cabin air filter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Just to follow up on this, changed the cabin air filter and it solved the problem! Just hope I haven't done any permanent damage, blower motor is still a little loud :shock: