It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Liberty KK R&P
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:25 am 
LOST Newbie

PALiftedKK wrote:
jonheab wrote:
Not sure if this will be of any help but I have the same lift kit and have had no problems at all... here's a matching drivers side pic..
ImageImage
I'm not going to defend a spacer lift (not my brightest moment when I bought it), but I have never had any problems. But eventually will upgrade as everyone else has said.
Hope you get this all sorted out! Best of luck to you.

:BANANA: :BANANA: :BANANA: THE FIRST SKYJACKER SPACER KK IVE SEEN ON HERE!

You never had rattling?

I had gotten their kkn25 kit that came with the spacers, sway bar bushings, and strut plate. I'm just wondering if the rattling is coming from the strut plate. The hole on the strut plate is a lot larger then the shocks rod that bolts to the strut plate. I know for a fact the shock is tightened down All the way because there is no more thread left on the shock. I'll give the OEM strut plate a shot if no one else can come up with a reason why its still rattling.

How many miles were on your kk before the lift? How is it doing now?

Aren't the shocks dead yet? Mine when I took them out had completely different compression speeds and expansion speeds. Not minute, but at least by a whole second slower or faster.

My KK had about 40,000 miles on it when the lift was put on.. now it has about 42,000. I have never had any rattling or anything that you are saying you had. I did buy the KKN25 as well. I'm not sure about my shocks but they seem to preform just fine, that being said I do have very low miles for a 2008. Only real problem I had was when I had the OEM stock rear shocks they were not long enough but then I installed SkyJacker Hydro 7000 rear shocks and the ride is WAY better. I am using the strut plate that came with the lift kit. Did you install it yourself? I had mine done at a local 4x4 shop.. I can post more pics tomorrow when its light out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:16 am 
LOST Addict

jonheab wrote:
My KK had about 40,000 miles on it when the lift was put on.. now it has about 42,000. I have never had any rattling or anything that you are saying you had. I did buy the KKN25 as well. I'm not sure about my shocks but they seem to preform just fine, that being said I do have very low miles for a 2008. Only real problem I had was when I had the OEM stock rear shocks they were not long enough but then I installed SkyJacker Hydro 7000 rear shocks and the ride is WAY better. I am using the strut plate that came with the lift kit. Did you install it yourself? I had mine done at a local 4x4 shop.. I can post more pics tomorrow when its light out.

yes I did it my self with another mechanic friend. he's dumbfounded that its still rattling.

ill eventually put rear shocks on. Bilstien of course!

and to me it didn't make sense to take a less then $300 lift kit to a shop and pay close to a grand. and none of the shops near me do car modifications, just maintenance. I will take my KK to a performance shop for a full suspension lift.

do you do heavy off roading?

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Here is a how to for installing the Daystar lift kit, also the spacer type. It is well documented with pics, so maybe you can see if there are any differences from what you did with your setup. It's for a KJ but the fronts are basically the same as the KK.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26190

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:11 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
Here is a how to for installing the Daystar lift kit, also the spacer type. It is well documented with pics, so maybe you can see if there are any differences from what you did with your setup. It's for a KJ but the fronts are basically the same as the KK.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26190

thanks.

yep besides the brands and a few parts, the installation as basically the exact same.

I found out this morning that something feels very loose on the driver side. you can feel something in the body rattling violently every now and then. it was about the same issue with the previous installation, but that's irrelevant because of it being installed upside down. not sure what but im here scratching my head because I torqued the bolts on and off the floor jack so nothing should be loose.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:19 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Wish I lived closer to you, I'm sure its something that could be found in a short amount of time
If nothing else with me on a creeper rolling under the Jeep while you drove.
Yes its been done, just ask 501 how I found an issue on his :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:26 pm 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
Wish I lived closer to you, I'm sure its something that could be found in a short amount of time

ill be in Pittsburgh next week, although I wont be bringing my baby (KK). :cry:

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:32 pm 
LOST Addict

So I know for a fact the shock is rattling now. Took a hammer to the strut and lightly tapped it. The rattle came from the shock. I'm still confused why Its rattling all of the strut bolts are tight and have lock tite on them. The shock lock nut is tightened all the way down, can't go any tighter. I'll post back if this rattling issue was solved. As for bump steer, still there.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:28 pm 
LOST Addict

PALiftedKK wrote:
So I know for a fact the shock is rattling now. Took a hammer to the strut and lightly tapped it. The rattle came from the shock. I'm still confused why Its rattling all of the strut bolts are tight and have lock tite on them. The shock lock nut is tightened all the way down, can't go any tighter. I'll post back if this rattling issue was solved. As for bump steer, still there.

How did you compress the spring when installing the spacer? Did you have the springs compressed enough to show all the thread on the top of the shock?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:29 pm 

PALiftedKK wrote:

What do you mean by all the what down on the shock bolt? There is a certain torque on them, if tightened too far you may have blown the rubber bushings out somehow??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:23 am 
LOST Addict

NAMoulton1 wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:

How did you compress the spring when installing the spacer? Did you have the springs compressed enough to show all the thread on the top of the shock?

The spring was compressed enough that there is no more thread left to go. All of the thread is above the lock nut.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you use those "boots" ? If so that maybe your problem,1st thing I do with those boots for my vehicles is throw them away,they cause more issues then fix.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:07 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Did you use those "boots" ? If so that maybe your problem,1st thing I do with those boots for my vehicles is throw them away,they cause more issues then fix.

I'll try that out then. What about using the dust shields?

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:32 pm 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:

The things I would do to see you on a creeper and holding on while he drove. :-)r

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:35 pm 
LOST Addict

PALiftedKK wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

I'll try that out then. What about using the dust shields?

I think that's what he's talking about. Those boots can trap a lot of crap in them. Nothing like that with an OME lift. Maybe check in that area for your issue.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:06 pm 
LOST Addict

I don't do hard core off roading. If were concerned about them trapping things, I have the wrong lift on then. The lift was only needed for an inch of lift. And there was no way I was going to spend a grand or so for a brand new vehicle that has very little use off road. Its just odd that no one has had these issues before, or have and haven't posted on here yet. I'll spend the money for a 4x4 shop to check out this problematic issue.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:43 pm 
LOST Addict

The 4x4 shop fixed the rattle! The shock isolator was not on, I don't believe bilstien had required this in their documentation. The shop had installed a poly bushing as well to keep the proper spacing in the strut plate, also SKYJACKER had never mentioned to include them in the install, even though they had included 2 sets of bushings. I guess I would have known what to do if I was an expert mechanic or Dennis wood!!!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle