It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trail ratings and modified KK
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

some of the trails in So Cal have easy / intermediate / black diamond ratings similar to ski runs. Example, We did Cleghorn trail last Saturday and there were several side trails of varying difficulty. having just recently modified my KK with OME 2.5" lift and OEM skids, what are the limitations? I see modified JK and TJ's making these trails but I just don't want to get in over my head or break the wife's DDriver! :shock: Where do we fit ? The green stuff was easy, the double black stuff is extreme.(did not go there) I welcome the input and stories?!

2008 KK sport, OME 1.5" lift, 4 oem skids - fuel skid coming, ATH roof rails & recovery, hitch, HD mech fan, Toyo ATII 245/75/15E. Garmin GPS, DeLorme Inreach, K9 security by Maya (had to get HD springs for security system)
other rides:
1965 Sunbeam Tiger 5.0L, 5 speed, 4:10 Fast is fun!
1966 Cal 40 sloop. the original uldb surfing yacht!

Post subject: Re: trail ratings and modified KK
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:20 am 
LOST Member

If you intend to venture more into the rocks, do look into getting a set of rock rails. I think there is a vendor here that makes them for KKs but also All-Js in Big Bear makes them (they did some for my friends KK).

Its about knowing your limits and having a good spotter. A modded KK/KJ won't keep up with a built Wrangler when things get extreme, but good driving/spotting and a well equipped Liberty will be very capable.

Also when wheeling, go out with experienced guys who know the trails and can give you insight as to what's doable and what you should pass on. That said, start with easier stuff then start going to harder stuff as your driving skills increase and as the jeep gets more and more outfitted for the task.

IRO 3 Linked
245/75 Duratracs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Definitely second that. If you really want to be serious about wheeling it, ATH makes some sweet rock sliders. They'll protect your rocker panels and lower doors.

That said, a lifted KK on 31s will handle most if not all blues (maybe a little more if your ballsy, just ask NAM) at Rausch Creek in PA. Not sure what that equates to in So-Cal though.

Btw, do you really have a SunBeam Tiger? I actually just learned about them (thanks to Forza :p ). Pretty cool little roadsters, basically the same idea as the Cobra. Ford small block in a small British roadster.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:18 pm 
LOST Addict

KKs on 31s could probably handle most blues with proper spotting. Greens are definitely doable. I'm a little more built than most KKs and I've been able to do some blacks over here on the east coast with some awesome spotting. The best thing you can do is armor and not be afraid of using armor. I have the OEM skids too but I'm looking to upgrade in the future because they're rather thrashed haha (they don't typically get thrashed...I just go on too many rocks haha). Best piece of advice is go slow, walk the line you want to take and if it seems too much don't do it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks for the tips on spotting and learning curve everybody. I previously had a TJ w 2.5" lift and was very impressed with the ability offroad, I just am a bit cautious about KK IFS componets and their capabilities. we are going to Ocotillo Wells and the Truckhaven 4x4 jeep park next weekend, I will push a little harder!

BMXer 524, yes the tiger has owned me for 19 years, mine is modified for autocross with 5 liter replacing original 260 suspension , 5 speed and 4:10 tru trac rear end. The car is pretty scary till you learn to steer with the throttle. 86" wheelbase! Shelby put the first one together for Sunbeam.
It is a labor of love, parts are getting tougher to find, example: original air cleaner $800, chrome fender trim, $4000. crazy. it gets a lot of attention wherever you go and values are going up right now. Great car! watch out if you buy one, lots of Alpine clones around and it can be hard to ID a real one. check with CAT or one of the other clubs before buying, there is a registry that can help ID fakes. My wife says I'm stuck in the 60's, 1964 wife, '65 tiger, '66 Cal 40 sailboat..( the wife is the fastest one!!) :pepper:

2008 KK sport, OME 1.5" lift, 4 oem skids - fuel skid coming, ATH roof rails & recovery, hitch, HD mech fan, Toyo ATII 245/75/15E. Garmin GPS, DeLorme Inreach, K9 security by Maya (had to get HD springs for security system)
other rides:
1965 Sunbeam Tiger 5.0L, 5 speed, 4:10 Fast is fun!
1966 Cal 40 sloop. the original uldb surfing yacht!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:42 am 
LOST Junkie

Down here in central Texas our local mark has a numbered trial rating system 1-6. Level 1 is a park road a d level 6 is full buggy territory. When we do club runs down here we stick to 3-4s most often. We have stock to highly modded liberties. A lot of it is spotting, armor, driver skill, how bold you feel, and never going alone. Our ifs components are pretty beefy (except for my rack & pinion, but I'm the only one with those issues).

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:47 pm 
LOST Addict

The last time i went serious off roading was late last year I believe. At the time i was still full spacer lift at 3.5" front, 1.5" in the rear. I did a red and quite almost a black. Now yeah, I did rip the plastic trim off, wheel liner, and put a dent or 2 in the cross member. 2 wranglers had no issue going up the section of trail I chose, they had to wait a good hour for me to get up the incline. Now to my defense, I had no good rear articulation and had terrible rear springs. The ground was mostly loose dirt and boulders with a hand full of off camber spots.

Lets just say the abs pump did not like me that day!

I now have a good rear set up and rides pretty good on road, but is almost flawless now off road. No issues doing an upgrade!

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle