It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HP Tuners VCM Suite KK support?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anyone have any experience with HP Tuners VCM Suite products? I've been reading their web page and forums, and it appears they have support for 2011-2012 KK PCM including gear ratio and tire size / speedo calibration. Looking for some first hand knowledge before dropping the coin for their system. Pretty sure 2011-2012 KK is NGC4A PCM. Can anybody confirm?

From their forums:

Gear/Tire Adjustment is available for vehicles equipped with the following PCMs:

NGC3 CAN
NGC4
NGC4A
GPEC2
GPEC2A, 2014 Dodge Trucks
GPEC2, 2015+ Dodge
GPEC2A, 2015+ Dodge

This feature is available now in VCM Scanner 3.0. All you need to do is connect the vehicle to the scanner and click on the green "Power Icon" (Vehicle Controls & Special Functions). If it is available for your vehicle, there will be a button to start the function. Once you start the function, you will first be asked to change the Gear Ratio followed by the Tire Size.

NOTE: If your vehicle is equipped with an EGS52 or EGS53 TCM, there will be another button that you will have to press to perform an "EGS5x Init". That will cause the TCM to re-learn the new gear/tire settings. This must be done AFTER you make the gear/tire adjustment.

If you have a vehicle that you know is equipped with one of the PCMs above, but the function is not available to you or if you encounter issues while using this function, please email support. Make sure to include your VCM Suite Infolog and screenshots of the issue.

JBA/OME 927 / 731
255/60R18 Hankook Dynapro AT-M

Post subject: Re: HP Tuners VCM Suite KK support?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:50 am 
LOST Newbie

I just re-geared to 4.10 and 31.8" O.D. KO2 tires on my 2012 liberty Jet with a JBA 2.5" lift kit. I went to the local jeep/chrysler dealer and they claim they can't calibrate my speedo because there factory computer does not go above 29.8" O.D. Can you please reply with a link to the system your talking about? I would like to see if it is capable of setting specific shift points. With my new gearing everything is good except it has a very 'sensitive' shift point between 2nd and 3rd At 45MPH... This happens to be a majority of the local city speed limits... On level roads I can cruise up to 47MPH in 3rd at 1500rpm, with the slightest incline it drops into 2nd and 2000rpm even though there is plenty of torque in 3rd... From your research do you think this system can adjust the shift point up to a specific rpm? Also can you please send a link to the forum you mentioned in your post?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sure, here you go:

http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthrea ... io-Support

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthrea ... 25-Scanner

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthrea ... -2-25-Beta

I'm in the same boat. Looking to go with bigger tires, but not enough to re-gear. Just looking to calibrate the speedo, trans and ESC for the larger dia tires, maybe 29.5" to 30.5" max. The issue many have with erratic ESC is related to the "slip angle" programmed into the ESC. By programming the new tire dia it can calculate the new slip angle and adjust accordingly, hopefully eliminating the issue.

I also sent an email to their tech support with these specific questions.

JBA/OME 927 / 731

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is a bit of the email I had with HP Tuner Tech Support

Quote:

ME - Hello, I am interested in your tuner for my 2012 Jeep Liberty KK. My only concern is that other tuners out there have not made one for the 2011 and 2012 Liberty. Their reason has been because of an encryption change for those years. So I am a little hesitant on this one. Has there been a test on a 2011 or 2012 Liberty with your setup? Sorry for the skepticism, but I have looked into many tuners and have not been able to find one that works with my year. Thank you

HP Tech Support - What is the VIN of your vehicle?

ME - My VIN is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

HP Tech Support - The 11-12 just use a NGC4A pcm which we support.

So this is hopeful. Only thing is that it's $500+S&H for the standard suite.

2012 Liberty Latitude 4x4
MOPAR Skids
ATH Front Recovery System, Roof Rack, Rock Rails, and Rear Bumper with Carrier
JBA 4" Lift
4.56 Yukon, Eaton-E Front Locker
255/75R17 Duratracs on Rubicon Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the input. I'm having a similar discussion right now with them. I don't have an issue with the price, just want it to work. I figure I can find a few folks local willing to pay to have this done, considering dealers have charged some members $100+ only to tell them nothing can be done. How long ago was your inquiry with HPT?

JBA/OME 927 / 731

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

442stu wrote:
Thanks for the input. I'm having a similar discussion right now with them. I don't have an issue with the price, just want it to work. I figure I can find a few folks local willing to pay to have this done, considering dealers have charged some members $100+ only to tell them nothing can be done. How long ago was your inquiry with HPT?

Not more than an hour ago. I got hosed by the dealership as well for $100 to change nothing.

2012 Liberty Latitude 4x4
MOPAR Skids
ATH Front Recovery System, Roof Rack, Rock Rails, and Rear Bumper with Carrier
JBA 4" Lift
4.56 Yukon, Eaton-E Front Locker
255/75R17 Duratracs on Rubicon Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:07 pm 
LOST Member

For what its worth, the hypertech used to be able to reprogram tire sizes, however anything over a certain amount (I think it was around 30") set a DTC (C1078 - tire revolutions out of range) in the ABS module.

The tire size for the speedometer is stored in the TIPM and there is also a stored value in the ABS module. Using a tool, I was able to reprogram both and still wasn't able to go much above 30". From what I understand, there is a max tire size hard coded in the ABS module, anything above that set in the TIPM will throw a code. This is all for a 2008, so newer models might have more luck.

The only way I've found around it so far would be to either be able to reflash the ABS controller or to hack in a JK controller somehow.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks ajohns for the input. I've reached a dead end with HPT as they cannot send screen shots or tell me the range of what can be changed. If there is a "hard coded" limit of ~30" then I'll probably just go with 245/60R18 as they're 29.6" which is .5" over stock (29.1"), and the same dia as the much recommended 245/70R16. The 255/60R18 I was originally looking into are right at 30". I've seen a few guys go with 265/60R18 duratracks which are 30.5", but have not heard any comments either way. Perhaps some of you can chime in here. Same for the 245/75R16 guys which are also at 30.5".

Thanks,
Stu

JBA/OME 927 / 731