It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: looking for rock rails for 2012 KK
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,

I'm looking for a pair of rock rails for the 2012 Liberty. Thought I'd ping the group in case anyone has a pair they're looking to get rid of/sell. Please PM me if you have something. I'm based in CA.

Thanks,

GR

Post subject: Re: looking for rock rails for 2012 KK
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:47 pm 
LOST Addict

If you don’t find a used set, AtTheHelm makes them new. And he’s not far from you so shopping wouldn’t be too bad.

https://athfab.com/product/rock-sliders-for-08-12-jeep-liberty-kk/

I have some other ATH products on my KK and have been very happy with them. The build quality is excellent.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the reference I appreciate it :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Do yourself a BIG favor. Get them powdercoated before you put them on. I got a set a long time ago from JCR offload. They don't sell them for the KK anylonger but I painted them myself with a few coats of primer, epoxy paint and truck bed liner. I find myself (in Michigan) having to clean off rust and re-paint them twice a year. I'm taking them off this summer and going to have them sandblasted and done right.

The style I have has the big square bar under the rocker panel and tubes sticking out a few inches that help getting in/out and I'm sure would provide some side impact protection if hit by a mazda miata or similar. :wink:

But here's something people don't think too much about.. Weight. Mine clock in around 50lbs each if not more. If you are doing this with 4 tires on the ground, get help, 2 floor jacks and a bottle jack. The floor jacks are easy to understand, the bottle jack, I used a small one to "adjust" the pinch weld so I could line it up with the bar's attachment rail that was just a fraction off. But, it took a good evening to get them on.

So, as you start adding these extra beefy items to your righ, here's my end result.

This pic was taken when I was screwing around with my 6 yards of mulch. Wife asked how I was going to keep the tarps on during the WINTER STORM we were getting for the weekend. This is the end result. (kinda gives a nice shot of the sliders too) (the door dent is complements of my son)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cq9OnjgFZg6mUiJn1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/07UAwK9jVfXFLOma2

But take note, once you start adding all those cool attachments, you will see you MPG plumet. I drive short trips to work. 3 miles one way . I burn through a 21 gal tank of gas in around 250-70 miles. And thats taking it easy. Highway, I'm good at 14mpg. Windy days.. all bets are off. I have full skids, front steel bumper, class 3 hitch and the sliders. Sure, got the biggest tires I can put on it with my 1.5 inch lift but before I started changing the tire size, I got 26 hwy (running abt 1800rpm (about 65mph) and 18 city. Boy, those were the days... Clear to see why I was said to sell my 2013 VW Passat TDi back to VW. Really miss that 44city/60+ hwy MPG :(

Some extra shots:
ImageImageImage

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 am 
LOST Member

Off topic, why would you sell the VW back if it was running good? Also, Im only getting 14 mog in my 09 with only 245/70/17 mud tires. Didnt do much better than that stock. I wish I got near 20, lol. I have an ATH winch bumper and the Mopar skid plates to put on still, bet that will get 350 V8 mileage then, haha.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they didn't come already powdercoated. I wonder how much it would cost to do that. I guess that is argument for the RRO sliders although it seems like those are not as well reviewed.

I haven't ordered them yet. I'm still trying to get all of the Mopar plates on. Also working on some other minor fixes to the vehicle. In the meantime, I was hoping to find someone who had an old pair of rails that they were looking to get rid of maybe because they upgraded their vehicle.

My KK is stock/no lift. Not planning to change that which in my experience means getting all of this protection is even more important. I will be taking it out to the desert for camping trips/etc. and I'm sure I'll end up scraping every now and then. So it's more of a precautionary thing.

BTW your Jeep looks great!