It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear liftgate not locking...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just discovered that the rear lift gate on my 2012 Jeep Liberty KK is no longer locking with the key remote or the interior door lock switches. When I try to lock or unlock, I can hear all the door locks are working but not at the rear lift gate. I checked the fuse which MIGHT be the correct one, number 38 under the hood. All looks good there and so far have not come up with any other non-working electrical items, such as the rear wiper.

Is this the correct fuse for the rear lift gate and are there any others I should be checking? If an electrical part has failed, what might it be and were is it located?

Thank you for any help offered in solving this issue, as since there is no key-lock for the rear lift gate, my Liberty has open access to all that might try the lift gate handle.

Post subject: Re: Rear liftgate not locking...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:57 pm 
LOST Addict

The rear door trim comes off easily. Just remove the 2 screws and then it is only held on by metal clips that release when you pull. That should give you access to the locking motor. You could disconnect it from the Jeep, then see if it runs by applying 12volt DC to the leads. If it doesn’t, then the motor is the culprit. It could also just be a loose connection since the gate gets opened and shut constantly. I suspect something local to the lift gate since the rest of your locks and electronics work fine.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not sure if the KK has the same type of latch as the KA, but if it does you can manually lock the gate by rotating a white knob on the latch/lock mechanism. It is behind the gate trim. 1/16th turn counter clockwise will lock it. Turn other way to unlock.
Just remember, if it will not unlock, you will have to climb back there to unlock it.
You can access the knob with the main panel in place. You open the small access panel by pulling on the bottom, then sliding it down.(if it is the same as the KA) The KK manual just says to use a trim stick to remove it.
You can also open the gate from the inside by removing the access panel and pushing the latch release lever down.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
The rear door trim comes off easily. Just remove the 2 screws and then it is only held on by metal clips that release when you pull. That should give you access to the locking motor. You could disconnect it from the Jeep, then see if it runs by applying 12volt DC to the leads. If it doesn’t, then the motor is the culprit. It could also just be a loose connection since the gate gets opened and shut constantly. I suspect something local to the lift gate since the rest of your locks and electronics work fine.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping to take a better look in the next day or so and post better information.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
Not sure if the KK has the same type of latch as the KA, but if it does you can manually lock the gate by rotating a white knob on the latch/lock mechanism. It is behind the gate trim. 1/16th turn counter clockwise will lock it. Turn other way to unlock.
Just remember, if it will not unlock, you will have to climb back there to unlock it.
You can access the knob with the main panel in place. You open the small access panel by pulling on the bottom, then sliding it down.(if it is the same as the KA) The KK manual just says to use a trim stick to remove it.
You can also open the gate from the inside by removing the access panel and pushing the latch release lever down.

Thanks for the locking information. If the vehicle was in a garage at night I probably wouldn't worry too much but sitting in the driveway is a little different. But since there is no key lock on the rear lift gate, most people probably wouldn't think about trying the handle to see if it's locked. Hope to get a better look tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You're welcome. Keep us posted on how it goes.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got the Jeep Liberty Lift Gate Actuator, Mopar part #0458 9131 AG -001, on Thursday. Install was pretty simple and there are only three torx bolts holding the actuator in place, along with two wiring clips. All now works as it should. Hope this information is helpful to others.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good to hear you got the rig all fixed up. Now it's time to play. :JEEPIN:

ESP Off Switch