It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: KK vs. YJ vs. 2017 4runner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:06 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 am
Posts: 13
Some friends and I are going to go out this weekend. I have had my KK for about 3 years not but really haven't taken off road much yet. I'm curious how capable I will be compared to there vehicles. The following is the specs each vehicle has (with mods)

2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic
- Command Trac II
- Daystar 2 inch
- 255/70R16 Toyo AT II on factory Arctic Wheels

1989 Jeep Wrangler
- 4.0 Automatic
- 33 inch KO2 on steel wheels
- Open Diffs

2017 Toyota 4runner
- Completely stock drivetrain
- 20 inch Black Rhino wheels
- Toyo AT II

I drive my Jeep every day so I don't want to break anything but how will I stack up to these too?

I tow with my KK quite a bit so I have a Curt hitch that seems to weigh it down just a bit on the back. Getting ready to go with some 4.10's cause 3500lbs feels way heavy with the factory gears. But that will help with offroading also.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KK vs. YJ vs. 2017 4runner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:32 am
Posts: 2871
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Piratewilly wrote:
Some friends and I are going to go out this weekend. I have had my KK for about 3 years not but really haven't taken off road much yet. I'm curious how capable I will be compared to there vehicles. The following is the specs each vehicle has (with mods)

2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic
- Command Trac II
- Daystar 2 inch
- 255/70R16 Toyo AT II on factory Arctic Wheels

1989 Jeep Wrangler
- 4.0 Automatic
- 33 inch KO2 on steel wheels
- Open Diffs

2017 Toyota 4runner
- Completely stock drivetrain
- 20 inch Black Rhino wheels
- Toyo AT II

I drive my Jeep every day so I don't want to break anything but how will I stack up to these too?

I tow with my KK quite a bit so I have a Curt hitch that seems to weigh it down just a bit on the back. Getting ready to go with some 4.10's cause 3500lbs feels way heavy with the factory gears. But that will help with offroading also.

It's pretty capable. You'll be competitive with the 4runner, especially since you both have the same tires. The YJ is able to do much harder obstacles than either of you because of it's 33's. However, with its open diffs, you might be able to traverse off-camber places where it would spin a wheel off the ground. You have BLD-- Brake Lock Differential-- basically using the ABS brakes to stop a spinning wheel and transfer power to the other side that has traction. I don't know if the 4runner would have that, but the YJ definitely doesn't.

Be sure you have tow hooks and a snatch strap (good that you have a rear hitch also) and skid plates if you're going to try anything crazy.

_________________
2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
Image
Jeepin By Al 4" Lift Kit
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 245/75/R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System

Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KK vs. YJ vs. 2017 4runner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 am
Posts: 13
lfhoward wrote:
Piratewilly wrote:
Some friends and I are going to go out this weekend. I have had my KK for about 3 years not but really haven't taken off road much yet. I'm curious how capable I will be compared to there vehicles. The following is the specs each vehicle has (with mods)

2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic
- Command Trac II
- Daystar 2 inch
- 255/70R16 Toyo AT II on factory Arctic Wheels

1989 Jeep Wrangler
- 4.0 Automatic
- 33 inch KO2 on steel wheels
- Open Diffs

2017 Toyota 4runner
- Completely stock drivetrain
- 20 inch Black Rhino wheels
- Toyo AT II

I drive my Jeep every day so I don't want to break anything but how will I stack up to these too?

I tow with my KK quite a bit so I have a Curt hitch that seems to weigh it down just a bit on the back. Getting ready to go with some 4.10's cause 3500lbs feels way heavy with the factory gears. But that will help with offroading also.

It's pretty capable. You'll be competitive with the 4runner, especially since you both have the same tires. The YJ is able to do much harder obstacles than either of you because of it's 33's. However, with its open diffs, you might be able to traverse off-camber places where it would spin a wheel off the ground. You have BLD-- Brake Lock Differential-- basically using the ABS brakes to stop a spinning wheel and transfer power to the other side that has traction. I don't know if the 4runner would have that, but the YJ definitely doesn't.

Be sure you have tow hooks and a snatch strap (good that you have a rear hitch also) and skid plates if you're going to try anything crazy.


Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm definitely not going to try anything to crazy. The Arctic cat factory with pretty nice tow hooks in the front, had to remove the rear to install the hitch but the hitch is pretty freaking sturdy.

I'm not afraid to try anything I really just don't want to break anything or damage the vehicle in any way. You think it would be a good idea to disconnect the sway bar end links for the day?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KK vs. YJ vs. 2017 4runner
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:59 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27796
Location: Central Ohio/ Tanzania
Biggest issue you have is the spacer lift, would do better with full spring lift giving some extra flex but have fun
I assume you have a full set of skid plates

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 Goodyears/ 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KK vs. YJ vs. 2017 4runner
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 am
Posts: 13
I have only factory skids, which is basically nothing, but I don't plan on getting to crazy. I just decided that I wanted to do something like this with the liberty after having it for the past 3 years. It's just been my commuter/tow vehicle that I occasionally used 4wd when I went to the beach or snow.

I did the Daystar initially just so i could get a little bigger tires. I think jeep should had put a 30 inch tire and about 2 inches high suspension from the factory to really make the liberty look better.

I do plan on doing the JBA 4 inch eventually but it's still a ways off.

I already got the 4.10s ready to go in and I'm thinking I might do some lockers while I'm at it but the money might have to go somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KK vs. YJ vs. 2017 4runner
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:49 pm
Posts: 28
dont disconect sway bars in rear. If you dont have extended brake lines in the rear you can have a major failure.

_________________
LIFTED 2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 - Automatic - Select Trac - Skid Plates - Tow Package - 4" JBA Lift v2.1 with 265/75r16 - ATH front bumper - de-badged - rock sliders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KK vs. YJ vs. 2017 4runner
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 am
Posts: 13
Teastley wrote:
dont disconect sway bars in rear. If you dont have extended brake lines in the rear you can have a major failure.
Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com