It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ODD Electrical Issue
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

First off I appreciate any and all help....

Last month I started having an issue with my horn. At random times it would start honking like some kid was inside beating on the horn. Never did this while driving, only when parked and off.

I removed the two fuses for the horns, but notice the sound of a relay clicking randomly at times. ( only notice if I am working under the hood )...

When I notice the clicking, and I am close enough, I open the fuse box, and start touching relays to see if I can feel the one clicking... but i cannt. or it will stop before I can touch them all.

I have gone through my fsm and I can not find in the wireing circuit info showing me which relay (if any ) is responsible for the horn.

What is crazy is that this has to be triggered from another system on the lib since I removed the horn fuses in theory it would kill the power to that cirucit right??

Anyway, this started after a lady had shut my hatch ( possibly to hard ) and I can not figure out what the issue is.

Some have suggested that it could be part of the alarm, but when this happens, the lights do not flash and it is not a constant beep or a repetitve beep like when the alarm goes off...

I am hoping that someone can give some advise as to what this could be, and or if any of you all have seen this / fixed this.

No check engine lights / codes at all, nothing else wrong with her.

thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: ODD Electrical Issue
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

It still sounds like something related to the alarm system. When you have the hood open, if the truck is locked that would tell the alarm that there is an intrusion since there is an alarm switch under the hood. LF side right by the battery. There is also a rubber plunger attached to the hood in the same area to activate that switch.

Plus there is a tailgate sensor. I do not know where it lives. On older Jeep hatch backs it was part of the tailgate latching assembly. So if somebody really slammed that hatch the sensor may have broken, or the wire may have popped off.

Here is a final thought. You state that the lights do not flash when this is happening. That tells me you might be fighting some type of after-market security system. I bet if you continue tracking the clicking of that relay it will lead you to this after-market controller. It might even be in the passenger compartment, under the dash.

Lando Liberty 2011 Kk

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What year is your rig?
The horn relays are on the PCB internal to the TIPM(computerized fuse box).

The horns going off usually also coincides with the wipers moving on their own, and sometimes the washer nozzels leaking. Sometimes it will show up as the door lock fuse popping, and popping again immediately when a new fuse is put in.
These are common issues with the 08 KA platform, which has the same TIPM as the KK-Libby.
The above issues are caused when there is an internal short of the PCB/relays inside the TIPM.
Sometimes a good smack on top of the TIPM will shut off the horns and other symptoms.
Now, that being said, usually with the above the horns are on constantly.

Your case may not be related to the above because the horns are beeping not ON, but thought you should know some TIPM history.

I have seen a similar issue in the KA involving a bad horn switch, as well as one related to the clock-spring wire harness.

If you believe is it related to the Gate, then you can remove the inside panel and unplug the gate lock (Sensor is an internal switch). But one would think if that was the case you would also have an "ajar" light related to the glass or gate when this is happening.
If you have an aftermarket alarm, it may be causing the problem.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:48 am 
LOST Newbie

No alarm issue but something worse.

FWIW, my 09 Liberty had smoke coming from behind the dash yesterday. Enough to make me stop (twice) and have it hauled to the steelersip.
Back in the winter, I had a "electrical" burning smell. Ended up having the brake switch (at the peddle) replaced because it was cooked. Two brake lights were dead/blown also. Those were LED's that failed.

For weeks, turning on the fan/heater got me a nice "electrical burn" smell but it did go away in the spring so I thought all was well.

Fast forward to this week:

Jeep had set in the garage since July 31. Aug 6, I drove it to work (didn't make it). A few houses away from my house, I could smell it first, then seen some light smoke from the passenger side dash. Had window open so it was getting blown around, didn't see what area of the dash (windshield, vent) it was coming from. Stopped car, unplugged radar detector, dash cam. Fan was already off. Ok, so I started it back up, started down the road, made it half a block and had to stop again. This time, smoke was REALLY coming out from behind the dash, near the windshield, from one side to the other and was smoking pretty good. I did check under the hood, felt the wiring and nothing was hot. While waiting for a tow, I turned on the power to the car, didn't start, just powered everything on. No smoke. Pressed brake peddle and held it there. Heard click on the passenger side but assumed that's normal as I've heard it in the past. Again, no smoke. Didn't want to start it back up but it appears it happens when the car is RUNNING. This smelled like a burning rubber smell rather then electrical (circuit board frying). Waiting for service to get it in and check it out.

Dealer said $950 just to pull the dash :dizzy:

Side note: Everything in the car worked. Radio, heater/ac fan, all idiot lights would come on when started. Radio, cig lighter, etc. So whatever was cooking didn't seem to affect anything up to that point just melting wires and smoking. :POPCORN:

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow, that sucks! :shock:

Do you have all your fan speeds? I was thinking maybe the blower motor resistor was cooking itself and needs replacing. It’s behind the glove box. That would be something I would check before taking it in for service, since it’s easy and inexpensive.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
Wow, that sucks! :shock:

Do you have all your fan speeds? I was thinking maybe the blower motor resistor was cooking itself and needs replacing. It’s behind the glove box. That would be something I would check before taking it in for service, since it’s easy and inexpensive.

OK.. change of plans. Unless you live in the DETROIT area, DISREGARD. But anyway, had jeep hauled to Parkway Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/RAM.. First off, it was to go to the service department but it ended up in the body shop because of the "smoke" and if there's smoke, could be fire damage, insurance could be involved. Ok, no time to deal with it so left jeep, went to work.

Later, after talking to insurance, figured no need to wait weeks for body shop so had service go ahead and take over the case. Get a call from a VERY pleasant service adviser, lets call him "Joe". So, "Joe" says, $950 to take off dash and look into it. OK. What's my choice? Go ahead. End of the day, "Joe" calls and said "Oh, you have LOTS of after market accessories on your jeep. Tech says 14 hours to work on, he won't be able to hook it all back up, so, $1625. WTF? I have wires running through the main driver side "grommet" for my LED lights that are controlled by 3 switches. So, what "other"accessories are we talking about? I went over a list before he could answer. Non OEM items, front steel bumper, sliders, taller tires. A bracket for a Midland MXT115 radio. OEM heated front seats what failed after 2 years and replaced with after market heated seat elements but the push button switch was left in place. So, not sure what OTHER after market items the tech was looking at. I'm pretty good at "wiring" and all my wires are heavy duty, runs from the switches right out to under the hood relays. But they have been there for 2 years and don't feel that's my "burning wire" issue (I checked and they are intact).

Now, I wouldn't think anything bad about Parkway had it not been for the time(s) they left my breather cover off on my Chrysler minivan which I drove around for a week with it off so the van sucked RAW air into the intake. Thats why I heard that "low moaning" sound when accelerating. Like back when I was a teen and I'd turn the breather top cover upside down. I did complain about it, a "sorry, we will talk to the tech". Later own, took jeep in for oil change, 4x4 service and throttle body clearing. Left the lot, got home, raised the hood look things over. The air intake was completely off the intake. Not the air filter area, but the pipe running directly into the intake, OFF! Sent pic to service manger. Again, he apologized and said he would talk to the tech.

So, needless to say, I went against my better judgement, had the rig dropped off but went back and picked it up yesterday, drove it (it didn't go up in flames) and took it to my local mech who has worked on both my Jeeps in the past and does great work. Just his "electrical" guy was out all week and won't be back till next week.

Lessons learned, listen to you gut and MEGA dealerships are NOT, IMO, a good place to deal with if you want it done and done right. $1600 to just take off the dash and figure out the problem a little over the top. :furious:

ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Pyle 42watt flood lights

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok. appears the problem is solved.
1. The Excort 9500xi cable/wire fried, causing most if not all of the insulation to melt. No fuse blown. Ordered new cable with a 5a inline fuse. That was it for the electrical. The wiring was bundled near the middle of the dash which caused the smoke to spread all over the dash area. I'm to blame for that mess. :banghead:

2. New MOOG K6292 ball joints installed on the JBA "A" arms. Mech said both appeared "loose" but the passenger side was worse and that the one that had the compromised rubber "boot" all but torn away. Changing my "inspection" periods to 3 times a year vs one now that the rig is getting up there in age.

3. A leaky front driver side brake caliper was found. A year ago, had titanium rotors and ceramic pads installed. Part was warranted out.

4. Had my JCR offroad sliders removed so I can get them sandblasted and powder coated. Just need to get new bolts. JCR doesn't make these now so I'm on my own.

With the sliders off (about 40+ lbs each), for some reason, it looked higher off the ground. Thought it was on a floor lift but it wasn't. Didn't realize 80lbs could make that much difference LOL.

Best thing was, total cost was just over $500.00 and no need to pull the dash and I'm sure to get a little better gas mileage after loosing some weight. :JEEPIN:

ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Pyle 42watt flood lights