It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reliable source for KK skid plates?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:57 am 
LOST Newbie

I've been hunting for days, but thought I'd post to ask: Is there currently a reliable, recommended source for KK skid plates?

I've got a stock 2011 KK Sport that's served well as a DD the last few years. But I've got a bug driving me to hit some trails locally in TX and eventually a multi-day overland tour of Big Bend next winter or spring 2023. Before the big trip, I'd like to beef the KK up a bit... small lift, AT tires and some rock sliders and skid plates. Given the relatively low clearance, I thought I'd start with the skid plates. But I'm having a heckuva time finding a good source as it seems nearly everything has been discontinued and the after-market is really weak. (mopartpartsgiant.com reports having all but the fuel tank skid, but reviews are horrible.)

Any suggestions? Or are most who want more out of their stock 10+ year-old Libby's just selling them and buying Wranglers and 4Runners?

Post subject: Re: Reliable source for KK skid plates?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:11 am 
LOST Newbie

I have the mopar skid plates on my 2012 Liberty. What are the complaints you are referring too?

The only problem I've ever had was once when backing down a grade, I caught the stump of tree I had cut down. (Had to make my own road into a wood lot). It caught the end of the engine plate and bent it down. (That plate over laps the transfer case plate). Going forward could never be a problem, but backing leaves an edge exposed, when moving over something that drags on the transfer case plate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:24 am 
LOST Newbie

Wayside Charlie wrote:
I have the mopar skid plates on my 2012 Liberty. What are the complaints you are referring too?

The only problem I've ever had was once when backing down a grade, I caught the stump of tree I had cut down. (Had to make my own road into a wood lot). It caught the end of the engine plate and bent it down. (That plate over laps the transfer case plate). Going forward could never be a problem, but backing leaves an edge exposed, when moving over something that drags on the transfer case plate.

Sorry. I meant the reviews of that Mopar parts reseller were bad. I'd be happy with the Mopar skids if I could find a trustworthy source.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Since all of the skid plates are out of production, the best places to find them are:
- Your local junkyard. Look for Renegade Trim (made 2009-12) KK's. If you can see pics online or you're there in person you can tell they are renegades by the black hood decals. If you can see a VIN number you can check the trim (and look for the Skid Plate Group) using this link: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

- Checking Ebay all the time. Skid plates do pop up for sale every so often. They don't last long.

- Checking your local Craigslist. Less likely than Ebay, but a great deal when they do pop up there. Also you might see a renegade trim KK being parted out.

The gas tank skid is the hardest one to find.

The only aftermarket company to currently make skid plates for the 2008-12 Jeep Liberty (and its cousin the Dodge Nitro) is ASFIR.
They are overseas, but the skids look well made and come in 1/4" aluminum, which would be lighter weight than stock, but hopefully as tough.
https://www.asfir.com/manufacturer/jeep/liberty.html?car_manufacturer=12200&car_model=12203&car_year=12479

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks! Very helpful and much appreciated.

lfhoward wrote:
Since all of the skid plates are out of production, the best places to find them are:
- Your local junkyard. Look for Renegade Trim (made 2009-12) KK's. If you can see pics online or you're there in person you can tell they are renegades by the black hood decals. If you can see a VIN number you can check the trim (and look for the Skid Plate Group) using this link: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

- Checking Ebay all the time. Skid plates do pop up for sale every so often. They don't last long.

- Checking your local Craigslist. Less likely than Ebay, but a great deal when they do pop up there. Also you might see a renegade trim KK being parted out.

The gas tank skid is the hardest one to find.

The only aftermarket company to currently make skid plates for the 2008-12 Jeep Liberty (and its cousin the Dodge Nitro) is ASFIR.
They are overseas, but the skids look well made and come in 1/4" aluminum, which would be lighter weight than stock, but hopefully as tough.
https://www.asfir.com/manufacturer/jeep/liberty.html?car_manufacturer=12200&car_model=12203&car_year=12479