It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: winch
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

What size winch do I need if I get my stock KK stuck? I'm not talking about going out and trying to get stuck more like getting into slippery conditions or high centering.
3000#, 4000#, 5000# ?
thanks

Post subject: Re: winch
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:13 pm 

yellkayak wrote:
What size winch do I need if I get my stock KK stuck? I'm not talking about going out and trying to get stuck more like getting into slippery conditions or high centering.
3000#, 4000#, 5000# ?
thanks

Bigger is always better! 8k is probably minimum for a KK. Winch prices have really come down in recent years, so purchase the largest capacity you can afford. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: winch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:45 pm 
LOST Member

Since the Jeep weighs 4500lbs you could get by with a 6k winch but 8k would be much better. Anything less than 6k is for atv use not keeps and truck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

For a KK you really need an 8000 lb winch. -- I have an old warn that was on sale a few years ago. -- Over the years I've used it about 5 times. Its mounted on a plate that mounts to the trailer hitch receiver. My belief usually thinks if I can go forward, I want to go back and get out of there. Twice it was high centered in deep snow. Other times I had to go forward. For that I carried the winch to a tree, used a strap to anchor it, and a wireless remote to trigger the winch. I also have synthetic rope on it. Makes it about 30 pounds lighter. I also carry a deep cell battery, but I have run it with jumper cables when pulling from the rear.

In any event an 8000 lb winch is adequate to pull out a KK, but you can make that a 16000 lb winch with a snatch block and 20000 lp strap to your anchor. -- I've used it a couple of times to pull out larger vehicles.

And a few times when cutting fire wood in the national forest, there were trees I wanted to pull to a better place to cut up, and the Liberty could not move them. But put the winch on the rear, put the brakes on and the 8000 lb winch with the 4500 lb jeep as an anchor could move a 5000 lb tree.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

yellkayak wrote:
3000#, 4000#, 5000# ?
thanks

One more note. when you see the cost of a front bumper to mount a winch on, you will see why I choose a mounting plate for the receiver. Its worked out to be a more useful arrangement.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Would I be able to use a 3000# winch and double up the cable?
I am thinking of a portable winch not bumper mount.
thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:18 pm 

yellkayak wrote:
thanks

3000# is awfully light for the weight of the Jeep Liberty even if you double line it.
Take a look at Harbor Freight, they have some nice winches for some very good prices. :idea:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:48 am 
LOST Member

Not a chance… ya gotta remember the resistance added from being stuck… the Jeep KJ weighs about 4500lbs or so and with her can easily be 5000lbs. If it were stuck to the axles in mud for example you would need an 8000lb winch to get out because of resistance. I forgot the formula to calculate the resistance added but 6k is the minimum for a Jeep. The 3-4K winches are for arcs and side by sides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I agree to have an 8000 lb winch. That's the best for you. Of course a higher level is also good, but it will cost you more. Hope you will consider my suggestion

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:05 am 
LOST Newbie

For a tongue weight of 1000 lbs, you would use a 4000 capacity winch with 10′ Cable or 25′ for a 2500 lbs trailer.
There is not a thumb-up rule for the size winch of trailers, but there are a few experts’ recommendations.
We recommend a 9.5k winch for most car haulers and 12 to 18k for heavy lifter trailers.
The best winch guide you can get is from a Heavy Duty Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:26 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
yellkayak wrote:
thanks

3000# is awfully light for the weight of the Jeep Liberty even if you double line it.
Take a look at Harbor Freight, they have some nice winches for some very good prices. :idea:

My friend recently got one and it immediately gave a good impression pulling the ATV last weekend. Night and day differences compare to the old Warn. We may need its service next week when we test the Wrangler. Good thing the new suspension and mud tires arrived early.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

yellkayak wrote:
thanks
No.

8000 / 10000 is the proper range for a 4500 lb vehicle. You may not be able to double up the cable depending on how far your anchor point is. I have a Superwinch 10000 lb synthetic mounted to an ATH bumper. It works well. I’ve used it several times and can’t see how a smaller unit (under 8k) would work at all. If you don’t have a steel front bumper, you aren’t mounting a winch anyhow. For the occasional high center, you may be able to get away with a bottle Jack or two and a high lift with a strap to manually pull. It will suck but it works.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:52 pm 
LOST Member

I have the ATH winch bumper on my 09, have a harbor freight 12k badlands winch, the original style. Got it on sale for under $300 I believe. It pulls the jeep just fine, mostly used it to roll cars over to part them out, lol. Fortunately I havent gotten into a situation where I needed it offroad, surprised since I have been into stuff I didnt think it could go. 2.5 lift and locker in both axles does help. Probably going to switch to synthetic rope though.