It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stock Jack
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:16 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

That's the jack i have and its a pos. The stock jack goes higher than that. When i use it i have to put it on top of a piece of 8x12 beam.

Just get yourself a couple of 2x4 scraps and put them in the jack storage compartment.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Atthehelm wrote:
That's the jack i have and its a pos. The stock jack goes higher than that. When i use it i have to put it on top of a piece of 8x12 beam.

Just get yourself a couple of 2x4 scraps and put them in the jack storage compartment.

What do you think of this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Torin-Scissor-Jac ... to_title_2

It goes to 20 inches which is 4 more than stock by my measurements.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:06 pm 

I swear i remember pulling my front wheel with stock susp/tires with the emergency jack no problem. Are you sure there wasn't a dip or something in the ground where your jack was resting?

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Atthehelm wrote:
I swear i remember pulling my front wheel with stock susp/tires with the emergency jack no problem. Are you sure there wasn't a dip or something in the ground where your jack was resting?

Yeah it was pretty flat and I was a least 2 inches short of ever getting that spare on which might as well have been a mile given I had nothing to put under the jack.

I think it was because there was a dip on the right side where my my tire was when it went 100% flat in less than 2 seconds so the suspension pushed down on that side and had nothing to push it back up riding on the rim.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A guy at work has a KK and when he had a flat we had the same problem. We had to walk back to the yard and get my floor jack. And yes, I always jack it up from the frame.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

fratichelli wrote:
A guy at work has a KK and when he had a flat we had the same problem. We had to walk back to the yard and get my floor jack. And yes, I always jack it up from the frame.

Thanks, I think the 20" scissor lift will do the trick, I'll throw a 8" length of 2x4 in the trunk in the mean time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:45 am 
LOST Junkie

The hard part about jacking from the frame on an independent front suspension is just that... it's independent so when you lift from the frame the wheels just drop to compensate :(

Edit: When I painted my rims I jacked it up from the frame and put jack stands to hold then used the jack to push up the control arm enough to pull the tire but I was taking two tires off at a time and the rear was significantly easier than the front

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:43 am 
LOST Newbie

I know this is an old post, but I was looking for information about how tall of a jack I should purchase. I had the problem with the jack not raising the tire enough to take it off (I tried putting it under the frame), and then out of desperation, I put it under the spring and tucked a stand under it quickly. :banghead: I decided to purchase a bottle jack and wanted to know if anyone knows what the height of jack that I should purchase. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it.

By the way, I downloaded a manual for my jeep and saw the jack point locations.

For the front tires, place it in the notch on the body weld seam behind wheel to be changed.
For the rear tires, place it under the axle by the wheel to be changed.

It's on page 305 of the manual, but it doesn't say anything about the jack height.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:47 pm 
LOST Member

I have a jack put of an old Dakota pickup. Its a scissor jack but bigger and goes higher than the stock jack. It was even used on a gen 1 Durango with no problems. It works on my 09 4x4 with 2 inches lift with 255/75/17 tires.