It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it my TIPM???
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So I have been having some electrical start issues but not my starter is a ticking up in a different way and want to make sure it’s the TIPM before I replace it or if it’s the starter.

So the issue now is here and there before it would not power the starter until after I waited about 15-30 seconds and the it would power the starter like nothing happened. But now it’s starter is starting to make a wind up sound like it’s building pressure then releasing it (up-down) like it’s trying to turn past the first compression cycle but the there is not enough juice to do it so it winds down…. Is this the result from the TIPM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: Is it my TIPM???
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
So I have been having some electrical start issues but not my starter is a ticking up in a different way and want to make sure it’s the TIPM before I replace it or if it’s the starter.

So the issue now is here and there before it would not power the starter until after I waited about 15-30 seconds and the it would power the starter like nothing happened. But now it’s starter is starting to make a wind up sound like it’s building pressure then releasing it (up-down) like it’s trying to turn past the first compression cycle but the there is not enough juice to do it so it winds down…. Is this the result from the TIPM?

Sounds like a bad connection. I have the plastic tabs on the lid of my starter relay removed so I can lift the lid off it while the relay is in place. I can then gently press on the relay & make the starter turn even if the key is off. If you did the same, it may show where your problem is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

layback40 wrote:
JeepMonkey190 wrote:

Sounds like a bad connection. I have the plastic tabs on the lid of my starter relay removed so I can lift the lid off it while the relay is in place. I can then gently press on the relay & make the starter turn even if the key is off. If you did the same, it may show where your problem is.

Where is this relay located? Any pictures would help

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So now today my wife calls me and and says the tire light flashed and the went solid and none of the tries were lower than 40 psi so I thought ok now a sensor is shot or dead battery anyways then about an hour later now that light turned off but now none of the buttons are working and the steering wheel… so I think it’s time to just bite the bullet and but a rebuilt TIPM. Anyone here think the same thing?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 2:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Talked to a company that rebuilds tipm’s and they said it could be the TIPM or the ECM… now I have no idea where to go from here

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sounds like a bad connection. I have the plastic tabs on the lid of my starter relay removed so I can lift the lid off it while the relay is in place. I can then gently press on the relay & make the starter turn even if the key is off. If you did the same, it may show where your problem is.[/quote]

Where is this relay located? Any pictures would help[/quote]
Its in the fuse module near the battery. When you open it & see the bank of relays, look under the top that you have hinged up for a key diagram. The KK may have different relays to the KJ, they are on a Dodge Nitro (poor cousin). If so you will need a wire with a hook on the end to lift the flap as the flap is on the underside of the relay.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 1:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

layback40 wrote:

Where is this relay located? Any pictures would help[/quote]
Its in the fuse module near the battery. When you open it & see the bank of relays, look under the top that you have hinged up for a key diagram. The KK may have different relays to the KJ, they are on a Dodge Nitro (poor cousin). If so you will need a wire with a hook on the end to lift the flap as the flap is on the underside of the relay.[/quote]

I bought a new relay, well two actually and replaced it and still had the same problem

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now with research could possibly be a WCM problem… now to even see if I can find one and figure out if I can program it myself

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now with research could possibly be a WCM problem… now to even see if I can find one and figure out if I can program it myself