It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Used transmission vs. having one rebuilt
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:39 am 
LOST Newbie

Does anyone have experience with having a junk yard 42rle transmission out, vs. have one rebuilt?

Post subject: Re: Used transmission vs. having one rebuilt
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:10 pm 
LOST Addict

No experience with that yet, but I found a screaming deal on a 42RLE from a 2011 with only 80,000 miles on it, and had to get that. It is waiting on deck for its time to shine. My 08’s transmission is original and has 209,000 miles on it so far. At about 190k I had to use “Instant Shudder Fixx” additive to get it to behave normally, but it has been fine so far. I figured I would need the replacement transmission by now, but fingers crossed, the original is not dead yet. When the time comes, hopefully I can replace the transmission myself and save a ton of money. I know it is a gamble.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Re: Used transmission vs. having one rebuilt
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:01 am 
LOST Newbie

I ended up having the 42rle rebuilt. They found a couple of rubber seals inside that were worn. And the tech suggested that because the 42rle only has two clutches for reverse, that if I'm backing up with a load or trailer, that it ought to be put in 4WD Low to lower stress off the clutches.

My 2012 Liberty only has 32,000 miles on it, but its mostly used to hall firewood and stuff. That is done with 5x8 dump trailer, that weighs 1200 lb empty and when loaded is usually about 4000 lb. And I sometimes use a front tow hook to move a downed tree to the side of a forest road. From now on, it will be in 4wd low when doing that.

The other gears all have 4 clutches, but reverse only has two. Dumb engineering.

I mostly get firewood in the national forest. Cost if 10 bucks a cord, but you have have to cut marked trees, and they mark the ones along road ways, that they believe will someday fall in the road, or that will be a problem for logging trucks in winter. -- Forest roads are closed in winter to the general public, but commercial logging is permitted.