It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:13 pm 
LOST Addict

I guess if you moved the spare to a roof rack, someone made an aftermarket bumper that was really tucked in tight, you could fixe the departure angle. If someone comes out with high angle cv's it could get a 4-5" lift, stuff some 35's under there. Then they could call it "Trail Rated" Someone will do it :lol: I liked the dodge nitro pretty well for a dodge, Im not so sure this should be a jeep though. Still yet I hope they sell like hotcakes, then maybe jeep will be going strong and come out with some real "JEEP" vehicles in the future. "Fingers crossed"

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Oy. My initial response is disappointment (why so bland???), but I can see possibilities. I agree that there's too much cannibalization in the Jeep lineup with this new Liberty. If this is where the Liberty has to go, I'd rather see DC whittle down their offerings to these four vehicles:

* Commander -- The new flagship. Big enough, powerful enough, macho looks. Classic SUV appeal to both men and ladies.
* Wrangler Rubicon -- Keep both 2- and 4-door versions -- The only choice for offroad enthusiasts, gas mileage be damned.
* Wrangler Sport -- Toys for people who just want a cheap convertible and who probably won't drive off highway other than beach sand.
* Patriot -- Will please people who really need a minivan but think the Jeep badge somehow makes the vehicle tougher.

If Daimler Chrysler would scrap the Compass, Liberty, and Grand Cherokee, and focus on making the remaining vehicles even better, they'd have a solid spot in the market.

General Tire Grabber AT2 245/70R16

Last edited by Video Guy on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

UGH...Thats not a Liberty anymore...more like a landrover/commander. :x Really really REALLY UGLY!!! Ever since the Liberty first came out I loved the styling and look and then they come out w/ this....looks like my next one will be a used one...if I get another Jeep. My next Jeep will probably just be a rubicon if they dont go and screw those up too. But these Jeeps are starting to lose personality if you ask me.

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:55 pm 
LOST Member

My first impression.... It looks like the Ford Explorer...

Do we really need another Ford Explorer? I think not. We already have enough Explorer facsimiles.

The only way this thing could get my interest is if it came with a diesel.

Last edited by T^2 on Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I seriously hate the headlights, taillights and absence of a rear tire I hope thats actually the patriot or something

2003 Jeep KJ
1975 Jeep SJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:59 pm 
LOST Member

Why are they stealing our circle headlights and putting them on the partriot while giving us the commander headlights... Why wouldn't they do it the other way around? Why change the current liberty exterior at all... I don't get it.

Hella 500's, Custom CB Ant. Mount
Kenwood X889
Cardomain LOST #221979

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:12 pm 
LOST Addict

There's another question worth asking: have they changed the unibody?

Keep in mind the current KJ's have excellent track record in collisions. We've all read and sometimes seen firsthand how well the KJ holds up in accidents. I would hope that they leave the unibody design alone, so at least one positive aspect of the KJ survives ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:44 am 
LOST Addict

dirtykj wrote:
There's another question worth asking: have they changed the unibody?

Keep in mind the current KJ's have excellent track record in collisions. We've all read and sometimes seen firsthand how well the KJ holds up in accidents. I would hope that they leave the unibody design alone, so at least one positive aspect of the KJ survives ...

If anything, ... everything related to crashes has improved. The Libertys' safety ratings aren't really much to brag about. When you get 5 stars all around, you know you've done something right.

For those in denial:

This is the 2008 Liberty.

ok, now that we're done with that :D , how is it bland???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:31 am 
LOST Member

Don't like the front and the rear is boring, it has grown bigger and that's not a good thing either.

Last edited by Dutchy on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:38 am 
I live here
I live here

DC is following the way of the Ford Mercury team.

Maverick - Comet

Pinto - Bobcat

Then there's the 70's Regal-Monte Carlo-Grand Prix (close enough)

Why mess with what works. They didn't do any major body design with the Cherokee for many many years. When did DC buy Jeep?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:27 am 
LOST Addict

I simply do not like it. But it looks like the spare tire is underneath. It’s a mini commander. They got lazy in the re-design. I think people will be looking to buy the 2002-2007 models.

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Could be that DC added the 4Dr version of the Wrangler in anticipation of this change to move all of the off road enthusiasts into the Wrangler and then bring out a new main stream Liberty for the soccer moms.
One thing is for sure, DC builds UGLY SUV's. The new Durango looks like 4 different vehicles spliced together. The UGLY Commander sales were so bad that they actually had to rent space at the Detroit airport to store the excess (if you don;t believe that - look at the discounts).
Why does Jeep need a Liberty and a Compass and a Patriot? I stopped by my dealer the other day to see a 4 Dr Unlimited and they had one and are selling what they get for sticker. On the other side of the building they had a parking lot full of Compass'. DC is bastardizing the Jeep line with a bunch of rebadged mini-van type SUV's. There is only one true Jeep left after the new Liberty hits the lots and that will be the Wrangler.

When I bought my Liberty, I asked the salesman if the Grand Cherokee had a true part time 4 wheel drive for off road use and he said "Of course! The day that changes it will not be a Jeep anymore." Last week when I was looking at the new Wrangler I asked the same question and he said "Only on the 8 Cylinders".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:29 am 
LOST Member

No way in hell I would buy that. :oops: I already decided a while back that that my next SUV purchase will be an xterra (sp?). Way more *capable* SUV for the money. I hope jeep doesn't bugger up the only good platform they have left, because I still love Jeep, just not their new SUV lineup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:44 am 
LOST Addict

I think I would have rather see them axe the Liberty instead of this, it really is just too much like the nitro, or the nitro is just too much like it I guess, The patriot is a much better looking vehicle, they could have offered an "Overland" model and made it appeal to the more upscale crowd if they wanted too.

Jeep was under AMC ownership until, 1987 when Chrysler bought them out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:31 am 
LOST Junkie

ITSAJEEPTHING!! You're alive man!? Where the h**l have you been? :wink: Missed ALOT of runs this summer man :)

-2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Overland Expeditions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:15 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I really don't think Dr. Z understands the history behind the Jeep name. Jeep is more than a four-wheel drive vehicle; it's a way of life. IIRC, (civilian) Jeep was based in the idea of an inexpensive vehicle soldiers coming home from overseas could drive like they did while deployed and explore the country. Jeep is an icon of Americana. It would be nice if we could just sit down with Dr. Z and try to help him understand the real meaning of Jeep.

That said, if Jeep embraced its heritage and made a distinctive line of rugged vehicles, they would sell. IMHO, I feel that there should be a max of four vehicles in the line up.

Wrangler (sturdy, compact, heavily-modifiable - the core of Jeep)
Gladiator (sturdy, true mid-sized pickup capable of towing and recovering a Wrangler and carrying the camping gear etc... - muscle of the Jeep line)
Grand Cherokee (~Wagoneer - sturdy, based on Gladiator chassis, can tow a boat/camper trailer, possibly with 3rd-row seating - flagship of the Jeep line)
Liberty (~Jeepster - sturdy, smaller SUV, just about as capable as the Wrangler but with a hard-top and a little more room - moneymaker of the Jeep line)

They should leave the strictly road vehicles to the Dodge/Chrysler badges. The only caveat I have to this is if they made a true rally-edition of the Compass (not just some cosmetic additions). I feel the Wrangler should go back to being a 2-door but keeping the Unlimited and Rubicon options. The Liberty should take its styling cues from the Wrangler, be a 4-door, and the Renegade should have the same options as the Rubicon. The Gladiator and Grand Cherokee should be based on the Gladiator/Rescue concepts with upgraded off-road optional trim similar to the Rubicon/Renegade trims above.

These are just my opinions but I feel that if DC marketed Jeep in this manner steeped in heritage, the competitors would be pushed out of the niche

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I agree 100% with that ^^^ and i think DC screwed up big time in their decisions on the new Liberty/Compass/Patriot...

Silver 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland (Not running as of 12/30/2014. Suspect dropped valve seat)

White 2003 Liberty Limited (RIP)

L.O.S.T. #: DV053827

Post subject: It's a Nitro
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just looked at the Dodge site since I am not that familiar with the Nitro. It's obvioous to me that they are just rebadging the Nitro as a Liberty. What a crime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Living in an older part of town limits garage sizes.The 2004 will fit.....the new bigger better won't. I predict the smaller Liberty with outside spare will be in great demand as a starter off roader in not to long a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Ugh.

Anyway...

Commander is actually doing well. The problem is OVERPRODUCTION. That's why so much space has had to be rented