It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:45 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

I agree with Jeff and Wally. Don't be so quick to criticize. These are some bad quality camera phone pictures of a prototype with a full body "Le Bra". There is a reason that L.O.S.T. is featured in a dealer brochure - becuase we are a different kind of club.

It's more than O.K. to talk about things you hope the new model has, or problems the KJ has you hope they fix in the KK.

Bashing an early prototype really gets us nowhere, except into a position that we don't want to be in. Let's continue to be a positive club and retain our positive recognition with DCX. If you have a concern over the new protoype, please try to express it in a positive fashion.

This thread may disappear in the next day or two, depending upon how it continues to play out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:46 am 
LOST Member

I know when the liberty came out I thought it was a betrayal to the Cherokee I had. No more straight 6, replaced with a loud, over revving V/6. Then I saw the liberator at the Detroit car show and few of my friends bought them and my dislike faded. When D/C announced the domestic CRD I had to have one and now I would never think of getting rid of it. And the moral of the story is, things tend to grow on people

Suncoast converter in a rebuilt trans with new pump and shift kit.
Yeah, It's got a diesel.

SOLD FOR GMC PICKUP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now that I think about it, they probably have the old style liberty hood on as part of the disguise, hence the curved top part of the light that clashes with the other three squared off sides...

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.

Post subject: 2008 Libery spy photos
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:12 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for sharing. I like the mystery. Ultimately, the actual production models could look radically different than this. I have a hunch Jeep wants something with more of a Hummer H3 look. I'm guessing the real deal will resemble a smaller Commander. From a marketing standpoint, the new Liberty SHOULD be more squared off to fit the look of the Commander and Patriot, as it will be priced in between the two. You want a common overall look in your product line. For example, when Coca Cola went caffeine free, the cans and bottles still looked like Coke cans and bottles. Range Rover vehicles are a good example.

General Tire Grabber AT2 245/70R16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Range Rover vehicles are a good example.

....of what? j/k :wink:

Now about those diesels....I can't imagine why they aren't being offered in the Wrangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SethX9 wrote:
Quote:
Range Rover vehicles are a good example.

....of what? j/k :wink:

Now about those diesels....I can't imagine why they aren't being offered in the Wrangler.

I can answer that point blank. They have not fitted a transmission that can handle it yet. We are dropping torque converters left and right over in the CRD forum.

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:38 pm 
LOST Member

I have seen paper work at a dealer saying 2008 export wrangler has a 2.8 CRD.

Suncoast converter in a rebuilt trans with new pump and shift kit.
Yeah, It's got a diesel.

SOLD FOR GMC PICKUP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:55 pm 
LOST Member

In regards to the KK and CRD engines, I would not expect to see them anytime soon. In talking with an "in the know" source at a recent unofficial event in the Rockies, it was made clear that the poor diesel fuel quality in the US is a concern. Largely due to how it affects the reliability of the CRD engines (2.8 or 3.0) The lack of reliability causes more warranty claims on an already expensive engine. This makes the CRD a liability (balck hole for money) when DCX is utilmately in business to make money. If they are opperating at a loss as soon as the vehicle hits the shop, and that is a relative certainty due to circumstances out of their control, don't expect to see it unless they can make a profit.

The quality of diesel in the US will improve this year. At that point, you will probably see the new CRD in the Grand and Commander models. I know they've promised a fall release, but I doubt you will see any in the showrooms until there is 15ppm fuel available at the pumps. Only if that proves to be reliable with 15ppm fuel, the engine itself become less expensive to manufacture, the engine proves popular/sells enough, and DCX feels secure that they can offer the option at a profit, will we see it in the US versions of KK or other Liberty platforms that follow. Europe will continue to get all the good diesel stuff in the meantime because their stuff was together already (fuel wise)

....oh yes, and thanks for the photos. I hate square headlights, but we'll have to see it without the camo. The design may have to grow on me, like the KJ did.

LOST#065178
2005 KJ Sport CRD
2.5" Daystar(F) Skyjacker(R) hybrid lift
245/75/16 MTRs on Moab rims
JKS Supernerf Rockrails/MOPAR skids
Aeroturbine 2525

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:11 pm 
LOST Member

i bought a spanish offroad magazine, they talk about the new Wrangler '07, two engines will be available Power Tech 3.7 and CRD 2.8 the first statement on the report is: Wrangler '07 Finally Diesel :lol: , but i think its only export version :twisted:

Claudio

Daystar Lift
Rancho 9000X
ARB Rear Locker & OBA
Thule Aero
Santiago-Chile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:49 pm 
I live here
I live here

Constructive criticism is a must. Bashing is negative. If we can not give our input, then there is no purpose to our existence (in terms of being KJ owners). DC can learn a lot from our inputs but not from just plain old bashing. For those of us that have seen the newer model, whether at the Jeep survey in Denver or by another means, we were able to give input. The pictures here do not do the vehicle justice. What is known is limited to a small group of people in the Denver area. We were asked not to give too much away.

Give DC a chance to fully unveil their future. If they do not listen to the current KJ owners or those Jeep owners they surveyed, then it would be their loss. Who buys Jeeps? Previous Jeep owners first and foremost. I happen to be a NEW Jeep owner (first time ever for an American vehicle) and I am one of those delicate owners that could be turned away quickly with bad decisions on changes to a line of vehicles. It was hard to break away from Toyota after owning three straight Toyotas but I had no choice at the time (no other company made an off-road capable SUV in my price range at the time - that had a good reputation and that the SUV looked and felt good when driving it also).

I do worry that the vehicles Jeep/Chrysler are making are being diluted into a similar look. No individuality, which is what the KJ had all to itself. No other vehicle looked similar to it. I like(d) that. I don't want the world to have a similar line of Libertys (Ford Maverick-Mercury Comet, Chevy Camaro and Pontiac Firebird were close, Mercury Bobcat-Ford Pinto, Nissan Maxima - Toyota Camry (older models), late model Chevy Malibu, Nova, Monte Carlo, Chevelle, etc). These vehicles all looked far too close to one another. The Liberty has an individual look over all other SUV's. I like that and would love to see it kept. I hope the Compass, Patriot, Liberty, and Dodge lines all don't merge into a similar look.

What made the Liberty the best selling Jeep? Individuality? Its multi-purpose capability? It's ability to get to the mall no matter what terrain? Not sure but you don't get rid of a winning formula. Look at how long the Jeep Cherokee line lasted with only small changes. The current Liberty is only coming up on its sixth year yet is a massive seller for Jeep. Don't lose that fan base with large changes in looks, DC.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I totally agree with this:
Tokyojoe wrote:
Constructive criticism is a must. Bashing is negative. If we can not give our input, then there is no purpose to our existence (in terms of being KJ owners).

And this is just hilarious:
Tokyojoe wrote:
It's ability to get to the mall no matter what terrain?

I think that the shrouding is doing a very good job of not showing us what the New Liberty really looks like. If anything, it's probably making it look worse than it really is. I too was hoping it wouldn't look just like the intermediate between the Patriot and the Commander, but most of the guys that actually saw it in Colorado said it looked good. Let's not roast it just yet.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:22 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Other than 4 wheels a 7 slot grille, and 4 letters (JEEP) the new Liberty has very little/if anything else in common with Patriot. Patriot is going to be the bottom, then Compass, then Liberty, then Grand, then Commander.
As for the Picture, if you are not convinced yet, that is the new Liberty (I have sat in a real one, so yes, I know) As for looks, I must admit, I like everything but the nose (headlamp units) And the rear seat entry/egress is much better on ours. Other than that, everything on the vehicle is an improvement... Other than no diesel or V-8 :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:03 am 

I wasn't much of a KJ guy at first, just because I was bitter about the whole dropping the XJ and replacing it with a heavy, little interior room, v6, IFS vehicle with big bug eye's. Just a natural die hard XJ guy reaction, you know? Anyways, the KJ has kind of grown on me the more I work on and wheel with them, but I saw one picture of this new KJ, and it really got my attention. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on one and getting to work. Who knows, maybe you'll see a Rock Lizard KK at SEMA.:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:18 am 
Master of the Blender

USAFCOP wrote:
As for the Picture, if you are not convinced yet, that is the new Liberty (I have sat in a real one, so yes, I know)

Thanks for clearing that up. I was hoping one of the Rockies guys who went to the Denver exhibit would give a final word on it, but I'm sure we'll see at least one more post claiming that you're wrong and 'ITS A PATRIOT!' :roll:

As for the criticism, I'm sure we'll all welcome it into the clan with a bit more class than the KJ was given :wink: I have no problem with them chagning the style, I was merely pointing out features that I would miss. And on reflection, it just makes ours all the more unique, since you won't find anymore round-hood bug-eyed Jeeps coming out of the factory 8)

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:51 pm 
LOST Member

I wonder if they are going to offer a rear gate-mounted fullsize spare as an option. It just doesn't look right without it. Looks too much like and Escape or Element with no wheel on the back

*Mopar rock rails
*Clear turn signals
*Mopar mud flaps
*Husky cargo liner
*'Trial Rated' and 'Renegade' emblems
*Bazooka 200 watt subwoofer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:19 pm 
Master of the Blender

ShoreRenegade wrote:
I wonder if they are going to offer a rear gate-mounted fullsize spare as an option. It just doesn't look right without it. Looks too much like and Escape or Element with no wheel on the back

I doubt it, since that would probably make the gate too heavy for the pnuematic arms to keep up. I was thinking the other day about a possible rack that could be mounted to the rear bumper or quarter-panel that would allow the spare to swing out of the way (kind of like my old Pathfinder). Not that I plan on buying a new anything anytime soon, but it had the gears in my mind going round and round...

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:47 pm 
LOST Member

pixeldzn wrote:
I agree with Jeff and Wally. Don't be so quick to criticize. These are some bad quality camera phone pictures of a prototype with a full body "Le Bra". There is a reason that L.O.S.T. is featured in a dealer brochure - becuase we are a different kind of club.

It's more than O.K. to talk about things you hope the new model has, or problems the KJ has you hope they fix in the KK.

Bashing an early prototype really gets us nowhere, except into a position that we don't want to be in. Let's continue to be a positive club and retain our positive recognition with DCX. If you have a concern over the new protoype, please try to express it in a positive fashion.

This thread may disappear in the next day or two, depending upon how it continues to play out.

So far for freedom of speech than!!!

Last edited by Dutchy on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:42 pm 
LOST Addict

I am all for the freedom of speech thing. But I agree that people should reserve a complete and total bashing for some point after they see the whole package. A little criticism is fine..maybe DC will get this and make some last minute changes..maybe. So DC folks, please keep the round look headlights and not the funky round light in a square box thing. Oh and give us the real pics we are waiting for. And locking differentials, winch mount bumpers, and a CRD with a new and improved tranny and CCV system. :lol:

Just my Free expression, take it for what you paid for it. :)

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:

When you post the first new pics of a new model you must accept people to give their opinion, I think that is normal, but who am I?

If the relationship of L.O.S.T. is so close with DC and the dealers that we are not allowed to speak freely about new models why do we bother to speak at all.

I have seen this before, a very critical but popular VW forum was offered a special relationship and sponsering, but in return the monitors had to surpress any critisism, is this the way L.O.S.T. is going?

So to be political correct we are not to mention: balljoints, rear brakes and ecu faillures and every new model is great.

So here we go than; I love the new KK and can't wait to get my hands on one and the Compass looks so fantasic, I will get one as a bonus, whow I probably get one in pink..

How many browny points did I score? :roll:

that's right. it's ugly, is still IFS and if it's still has a dana30a then fuknut jeep.

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:58 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Dutchy wrote:
pixeldzn wrote:

When you post the first new pics of a new model you must accept people to give their opinion, I think that is normal, but who am I?

If the relationship of L.O.S.T. is so close with DC and the dealers that we are not allowed to speak freely about new models why do we bother to speak at all.

I have seen this before, a very critical but popular VW forum was offered a special relationship and sponsering, but in return the monitors had to surpress any critisism, is this the way L.O.S.T. is going?

So to be political correct we are not to mention: balljoints, rear brakes and ecu faillures and every new model is great.

So here we go than; I love the new KK and can't wait to get my hands on one and the Compass looks so fantasic, I will get one as a bonus, whow I probably get one in pink..

How many browny points did I score? :roll:

Quote:

hhahaha....Dutchy if you knew me personally you would have to laugh at what you posted. I get NOTHING from trying to keep this a civil place for all things Jeep(you have no idea how often I have to let some of these post go on without my jumping in)

The KJ got panned in the begining and now the KK is getting it (I hate that it's called the KK..as does just about everyone I've talked to about it). There is a fine line between censorship and keeping things as positve as is possible around here. Face it...our KJ's are going to be old news in a year or so...and many of us will either by KK's or move on. I for one would like to see one of these Jeeps in person before I pass judgement on them.....but then again I like my vehicles kinda quirky looking (why we got the KJ).

I can't tell you how many time I've gotten "that look" when I talk about our KJ club and offroading...You know that look. If the KK can wheel as good as the KJ then im going to be a fan. It will be great if they use the same suspension setup as the Commander and WK ..that way there will already be a 4"lift available for it. It will have more room in the cargo area (the KJ needs more). Hopefully it will have metal bumpers and have the ability to run 33's off the showroom floor...ops....that's an H3... .....sorry my bad. 8)

Last edited by jpzkj on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next