It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What do you think of the new 2008 Liberty?
I love it! 10%  10%  [ 13 ]
It is ok! 23%  23%  [ 30 ]
I'm not sure! 36%  36%  [ 47 ]
I do not like it! 31%  31%  [ 40 ]
Total votes : 130
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:01 pm 
LOST Member

It's called a KK I already don't like it.

-Frankenlift 2 Premium (OME all four corners)
-General Grabber AT2
-All J Products Rock Rails
-Hidden Hitch W/D ring
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-Airade Throttle Body Spacer
-Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler
-Jet Performance Stage 2 Chip
-3" striaght pipe off the muffler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:57 am 
LOST Member

performancechef wrote:
I wish they kept the round headlights and tailgate spare. Seams the 08 L.O.S.T. alot of character, and the whole HUMMER'esque look jeep is moving to with the 08 and comander is very tired. If i wanted a hummer i'd buy a hummer. I wanted a jeep so i bought a Jeep. To me nothing says jeep like the round lights and 7 slot grill. O'well.

You should realize that HUMMER stole the Jeep image back when it was born. Jeeps have been around for what? Pushing 70 years now. In the course of those 70 years, the look of Jeep has remained fairly static. Yes, they keep throwing in some more curves here and there, and now they're bigger (due to gov't restrictions), but if you saw a Willys and a JK together, you would realize that the look hasn't changed much. HUMMER played off the Jeep look when they were taking shape, because it is a shape that was brought up in masculinity and toughness offroading. The General saw this a good, quick way to break into the market and have a prefabricated public image. Apres GM bought the rights to use the HUMMER name, their marketing department ran rampent advertising HUMMERs as the ultimate offroad machine. GM just spent more on marketing the HUMMER brand than Jeep did. It's a shame really that people these days thing that the new jeeps look like hummers, when in reality it's the other way around. The XK doesn't look THAT much different than the XJ...hmmm...it's almost like their model designations are sequential, ala KJ KK...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:36 pm 
snow, you also need to realize that back when the Humvee was engineered, AM General was owned by AMC, who was also the parent company of Jeep;) Hummers having a Jeepish look to them is no coincidence, mi amigo.

However...my 2008 vehicle dollars would likely go to a new Wrangler or an FJ Cruiser...unless Ford's secretly planning on releasing an SFA Bronco for '08...or maybe we'll get another Ramcharger :o a 2 door SUV based on the power wagon? one could hope :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:00 pm 
I live here
I live here

The history:

AM General incorporates.

On April 1, 1971, AM General Corporation was incorporated as a wholly owned subsidiary of the American Motors Corporation and separate from the Jeep Corporation. This move was initiated to give independent status to AM General to fulfill the special transportation requirements of the U.S. Government and pursue further diversification.

Responding to the need for increased mobility in the military, AM General developed and patented the Central Tire Inflation System (CTI) to be used on the M809 and M939 5-ton trucks. The CTI featured driver-activated dashboard controls that altered tire pressure to suit terrain conditions while the vehicle was in motion. The CTI improved vehicle-towing capability and contributed to longer vehicle life and lower life-cycle costs.

The Humvee is born.

In 1979, AM General began preliminary design work on the M998 Series High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV, pronounced Humvee®); a 1.25-ton truck intended to replace the M151 and other light tactical vehicles. The U.S. Army awarded AM General a prototype contract in 1981 and the development and operational testing was conducted over a five-month period in 1982. In March 1983, AM General won an initial $1.2 billion contract to produce 55,000 Humvees to be delivered in five basic models and 15 different configurations over a five-year period. The Army subsequently increased their order with over 15,000 additional vehicles, raising the total contract order to 70,000 Humvees valued at $1.6 billion.

The Humvee offers exceptional speed, mobility and agility and is built upon a multi-purpose platform, which will accommodate a broad range of configurations. Humvees feature full-time four-wheel drive, independent suspension, steep approach and departure angles, 60 percent gradeability and 16 inches of ground clearance. Humvees are currently in use by the U.S. Army, Marine Corps, Air Force and Navy at locations throughout the United States and overseas.

Aside from the seven slot grill and round headlights, the Humvee looks nothing like and definitely outperforms the "Jeep."

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:41 pm 
LOST Member

I really think that Jeep should have evolved the KJ's styling, instead of forsaking it completely. I thought that the KJ's were way too "cute" when I first started considering buying one, now I think they look great. My change in mind came about as I learned their capabilities, that I could get one with a 6 speed, ect. Maybe if the KK has some impressive specs we'll all start to think it looks a little better. Maybe not. What must be done though is offering it with the Nitro's SOHC 4.0 V6, Ive always felt that both the CRD and the 3.7 were just a little short on power, so 260hp and 265 lb/ft would definately be a plus...especially since they're lengthening the wheelbase, thus making it a bit heavier.

Quote:
Aside from the seven slot grill and round headlights, the Humvee looks nothing like and definitely outperforms the "Jeep."

Try buying a humvee from Hummer these days. Discontinued, all thats left is the H2 and H3. For some of us who do 95% of our driving on road commuting or whatever, a humvee/H1 would be a horrible vehicle to deal with. Granted the H3 actually has some off-road prowess, but its completely underpowered by its inline 5 cylinder and horribly overpriced. If you want an H3, just get a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon pickup which its based on, lift it, and save yourself thousands of dollars and pounds in weight. Not impressed by the Hummer lineup. The KJ (and KK) are real Jeeps, the H2 and H3 are far cries from a humvee.

2006 Sport 4X4, Deep Beryl Green, NSG370, NV241J, Lifted with OME 927/948 and Bilstein, JBA 4.5 UCA's, Custom 3" Rear Y-Link Extension and Swaybar Relocation, 265/75-16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, Black Plastidipped bumpers, flares, and doors, Pioneer speakers, Alpine head unit, 1200w Phoenix Gold Amp, 12" Dayton Reference sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:15 pm 
I live here
I live here

Go buy a used Military Humvee (M998 series). It will out do all of the commercial grade models.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military