Post subject: Breaking news: KK to get optional retractable fabric roof
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Read it and weep!

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/liberty-2008.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Sure the roof thing would be cool, and probably a little noisy, but this is what caught my attention.

"a diesel is expected to return for late availability."

Now if someone other than allpar will report this I would be more likely to believe it.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:48 pm 

Old news...they're just "testing" the fabric roofs right now. We had a rep from DC out here with some KK prototypes a couple months back. A lot of the Colorado guys saw it in person. I thought the retractable roof was lame, but that's just me. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:53 pm 
LOST Member

don't like the body style at all, "kinda" looks like there headed back to the cherokee body style...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If I were going to get an off road worthy vehicle with a removable roof I'd get the JK. For me, the only thing that sets the KJ and JK apart is the solid front axle, removable roof, and body over frame design. Everything else is pretty comparable now that the new Wrangler has all the "luxuries" of the Liberty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

It has actually grown on me since the last time I looked at those pictures. With a few modifications, that could be bada$$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

I supose you can get the same options that any other dodge has, "O", thats right, it's a jeep suposidly ! It looks ok I guess, but I think the way the kj looks now make it very unique, there's nothing else even comes close to looking like it. With the new one, the nitro and commander will look more or less like it. This plateform sharing may save money, but sure takes away alot of chacter. I can't get excited about the new wrangler either, the plastic fenders look cheesey, they made it bigger, not so good for tight trails, and it doesn't have an engine, at least not much of one. The engines ok for a mini van I guess, sure will miss the lowend torque of the ole 4.0. Luckily there's still a bazillion 4.0's still around back to 91 and alot of 258's before that. Put a 4.0 head and fi on a 258 and it's an awesome motor,. My 06 will be my last new jeep, I don't like the direction thier headed, but will allways have a jeep the Lord willing. I think in years to come our kj's will be the ones to have, lumpey fenders and all, thier "cool"!!!!!!!!

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I dont like the new KKs at all. Now when you can see it better it looks sort of like a nissan pathfinder.

1979 CJ5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I really like what I see about the new KK. Lately everyone is sounding worse than the XJ crowd did when the KJ was rolled out. I don't see much wrong with it except a slightly worse but still useable departure angle. I would have thought everyone was more open minded than this. I know everyone is just expressing their opinion but I'm still surprised none the less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:22 am 
LOST Member

I think the biggest reason for the disapointment and negitive comments, is that in realality it's a dodge nitro, not a jeep. The cherekee and liberty that replaced it were jeeps, not a warmed over dodges. It's good to be open minded about jeeps, but this is a dodge with a jeep grill like the compass. We buy jeeps cause we like jeep and what they have allways stood for, freedom and a good time in a rugged offroad vehicle, if I wanted a dodge, I would of bought one. The kj is not a warmed over anything, it's a jeep. The only thing seperating jeep and dodge anymore is the grill, and to me thats not good enough, I want a jeep, not a dodge. it's not so much that the new liberty looks bad, it looks fine, to me anyway, it's what it is thats more the problem. It's would be like putting a land rover grill on an explorer and calling it a defender 90, it may look like a land rover, but it's not where it counts.

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:24 am 
LOST Member

I guess that DC is trying to do what GM and Ford have done for years. That is make one vehicle and slap a different grill and badge on it. I think that this will hurt them because they are losing their individuality and originality that they have always held high. Look at how Ford and GM are doing with all of those cookie cutter cars.

The trail always looks easier from the top of the hill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:34 pm 
I live here
I live here

XJ owners had a right to be upset back then but the KJ was a new vehicle, not an XJ revamp. The new `08 Liberty is a revamp and not a new vehicle line.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:27 pm 
LOST Member

The cherekee folks over reacted in my opinion, the kj is every bit as good as the cherekee if not better except it lost the 4.0, and the 4.0 I-6 is a big lose when your use to that lowend grunt. The biggest complaint was the ifs. Most of us don't climb boulders and the ifs is plenty strong for what most people do. I haven't even missed the straight front axle myself. I wheel my ranger hard and it has the ifs, Dixon Brothers makes componits for the ranger ifs thats stronger than a straight axle and they race them, but thier high dollar. We could of done without the aluminum front diff, but it works. The kj has a lot better road manners than the xj and thats where 80% of our driving is done. If your a hard core, you could allways swap out the ifs, but for most of us, a locker or lsd, a lift and some tires and were good to go. I just like trail ridding in the mountains, mostly W,Va, I leave the boulder hopping to the hard cores. I don't even care for mud much anymore, I'm to old to be washing a vehicle 5 or 6 times to get it all off, I don't drive a round it or anything, but I don't go looking for it either. But a dodge nitro with a jeep grill is a little hard to take.

Post subject: Loosing clearance?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

Looks like the KK has a lot less clearance than the KJ in front of it...a non-jeep bit. Whatever about looks (though I LOVE the KJ style), it darn well better be a JEEP in the end. Compass and Patriot cars are doomed experiments that I don't begrudge them...but don't kill your core-line.

More diesels would be nice, but by 2008, it woun't be anything special to have a diesel SUV like it was when I bought my CRD in 2005. Most of the major lines will have diesels all over the place by then.

Oh well, better hang on to my Libby...

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:
Oh well, better hang on to my Libby...

That is good advice...have you seen what the 98 and newer XJs are going for these days! :shock: I wish I would have hung on to mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:28 am 
LOST Junkie

Ever since I saw the Liberator with a retractable roof I have been considering it fot my CRD. I saw Stacey do it on Trucks a few years back and it did not look like a difficult mod. Now I want it more than ever.

1985 Mitsubishi Pickup SP 2.3 Turbo Diesel Watercooled turbo,4D56 ported head,
12" Suspension Lift with JK Rubicon axles, Elockers, 5.13's, Fox coilovers, Atlas 5.0, Rock Lizard supersliders

1996 Lexus LX450 -locked and lifted-