It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2008 Liberty Not so happy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

I just saw pictures of the 2008 proposed Liberty.
I don't like it. It's not a happy looking tough little Jeep.
It looks like Darth Vader on Wheels.
I don't want a Spare tire under the body. From the back it looks like the after birth of a baby Hummer with gene splicing.
When you get a flat with a Jeep the last place you want the tire is on the muddy under side!

The front end looks like it went to the boring mill and was forced to look like the commander. It looks like the old style Cherokee. Way to boxy!
From the side by side photos it looks like it sits lower to the ground. I am sure the tip over police (a/k/a people that don't know how to dive) made them lower it.

Finally from what I can find out they are going to name it KK not KJ, so does this mean its almost a memeber of the clan? would you drive a KK?

A 4.0 litre engine? was this really needed? It could use more horse power and more MPG. But not more weight. Certainly the engineers can find a way to get more horses and Mpg out of the good old reliable 3.7?

Jeeps were always different. This just looks like another road box. It does not have the eye appeal that the current Liberty does. Maybe they should name this new vehicle "Boring".

I like upgrades and improvements. I ran to buy my first Liberty in 01 when the 02's were just released. I will run away from this new version.
Hey Dalmier/Chrysler what the heck are you folks doing! Why so dramatic a change to a good thing? :?:

It's a JEEP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:19 pm 
LOST Member

Not too sure why, after only 6 model years they decide to totally redesign the Lib. I guess there's no such thing as a classic anymore. Everything has to stay "fresh". A few more years and the Liberty will be the size of a Yukon....... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:08 pm 
LOST Member

The truth of it fellows, is the new kk isn't a jeep, it's a dodge nitro with a jeep grill, just like the compass is a dodge caliber with a jeep grill. People bought jeeps because they live and think outside the box, they want to be different. A jeep has allways been a stand alone vehicle with nothing else quit like it. Now were getting warmed over dodges and calling them jeeps. This is what 65 years of history has come down to. If I wanted a dodge, I know where the dodge dealer is at. I knew chrysler would ruin jeep, just didn't know how long it would take. Now thw whole jeep line is totally chyrslerized. The end of the 4.0 I-6 was the end of the real wrangler and now our beloved kj becomes a dodge, I will allways own a jeep, but none newer than 06. This is the year jeep died as we know it. I don't mean to sound so negitive, but I've had jeeps back to the willy's and they've allways been jeeps untill now, They are no longer jeeps, thier 7 slot grilled dodges. May jeep R.I.P.

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:37 pm 
I live here
I live here

Tell DC your feelings. We should all send our feelings about this to DC.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm withholding judgement until I see a lifted KK at Moab '08 or '09. I don't care if it looks like a Gremlin if it does what it's made to do.

But if it performs as badly as it looks... :x

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

They changed the look because they are using flex-manufacturing.

300 / Magnum / Charger / Challenger - all one platform
Durango / Aspen
Grand Cheerokee / Commander
Compass / Caliber / Patriot
Nitro / Liberty

What this allows is, less upfront cost of buidling vehicles. The Challenger would not be heading to production without this setup. True, they could have kept closer to the original look for the Liberty, but they chose not too. I guess all those Liberty haters got their way. If you compare the Liberty to the Nitro side by side, there are differences in the shape. Also, the Liberty will have a different interior. I do like the pull out storage tray.

However, what will be underneath the Liberty, is not the same as what is under the Nitro. This is what will make it a Jeep and not a Dodge with a Jeep grill.

And for you Liberty speed demons, just ponder this. They are showing a Nitro with a Hemi in it at SEMA.

The one thing I see that they did fix with the new design, is that you can put larger tires on. However, you will need them to compensate for the extra overhang on the rear. I assume it will also be easier to put a bigger/better deisel engine in too.

CRS-Rock Rails * Rusty's Lift * *MTR's * Husky Mats * The 'Grill' and Shelf

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:34 am 
LOST Junkie

I don't care if the manufacturer is saving money by doing this "flex-manufacturing" or whatever. The fact is the new Liberty looks like a grocery getter....hardcore....and it is seriously just perpetuating the myth that we have all worked sooooo hard to dispell.

I for one, will not be purchasing one. I run an Expedition Group...and we had big plans for the 2008 year to do an Expedition using the 2008 Liberty across Canada.

However, now that I have looked very closely at the Dodge end of the new Liberty, just the space, the size and over hangs.....I don't care whats under it at this point......we have determined that we cannot use this vehicle for our expedition......which to say the least is EXTREMELY disapointing.

I am disapointed that Jeep has done this to the Liberty. More so that they are taking away from the roots of Jeep with things like this new Liberty, Compass and Patriot just to save a few bucks. Give me a break, Jeep is an Icon and a Legend.....this new thing does not reflect it.

So with that we are moving to Land Rovers, Toyota, or the new 07' Rubicon Unlimiteds. Liberty is off the list.

Of course I will keep my current Liberty, the 2006 Renegade....love it. And I will wheel it proudly.

-2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Overland Expeditions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

I am definitly a wierd person when it comes to vehicles. Functionability is everything...but sometimes I like to look through the opposite end of the spectrum. In my point of view, I believe the look of the vehicle is everything that makes the vehicle and therefore sells it, in turn putting functionablitily close after that, atleast for me anyways. I'm sure this is different in everyone elses eyes as some have already commented that they dont care what it looks like as long as it performs. Thats cool...everyone has their own opinion on things, and everyone has different views. But ever since the Liberty was introduced I fell in love w/ it's small size and I know it sounds corny, but it's "cute" look too. After purchasing mine, not only did I fall in love w/ the looks and feel of it, but it also is one capable little wheeler. It's nimble size and peppy little 3.7 made it everything I wanted on the trail and road..it was very easy to manuever and not once did I feel it lacked power, it was everything I was looking for in a vehicle. Of course ground clearance is a problem but that can be cured w/ a lift. This is my first Jeep and first DC vehicle introduced in our family.

My whole family WILL NOT purchase Dodge vehicles...but the Jeep was an exception, doesnt matter anyways because it was my purchase and my money as well as my decision. In my view, I'm very happy w/ the liberty, and for being a DC vehicle, it's really proved itself. In my opinion (it may not be the hardcore of all wheelers or may lack certain things that distinguish it from a "real" jeep) this is what a "Real" Jeep should be like to me. I can tell you now that I'm hooked w/ the Jeep brand. If DC/Jeep continued on w/ the current model Liberty thru/ 08 like many of us would like, I would have DEFINITLY planned on purchasing another. But after seeing the 08 model...I can tell you that I will NOT even think about it.

I gave Jeep a chance and was very happy w/ result. Now we are presented w/ this new age of "crossover", "hybrid", "sleek" and the new "square" designed vehicles. I'm sorry but they arent doing anything for me AT ALL! I will never spend money on a vehicle that looks like that. If I were to purchase another Jeep it will be a Rubicon. I'm sorry to insult Jeep like this...but DC really screwed it all over. This thing is not what any of us want excluding the female owners. A new age of "Soccer Mom" "Mall Getter" "Minivan Wanabe" vehicles are now among us. And I will certaintly turn away in disgust. :x

Just my .02 8)

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:18 pm 
I live here
I live here

Here's a good one to throw out at those "real" Jeep commenting jerks....especially the ones with square headlights.

A REAL Jeep has round headlights.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Why do auto makers have to constantly make vehicles bigger. The reason we baught our KJ was because of its size and capability. Our area gets pretty bad winters and we camp and occasionally drive off road and the TJ was too small and we didnt want something too big, but definately wanted a Jeep. The Liberty is perfect the way it is. So when we're ready fo a new one do we have to get a "smaller vehicle" like the new Wrangler wich has also increased its size or get an '07 Liberty before the 08's are out. IF I WANTED A DODGE I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT ONE :x

Wilderness rack
Pioneer CD
Tow hooks
Lots of dog hair.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:37 am 
LOST Junkie

Tokyojoe wrote:
Here's a good one to throw out at those "real" Jeep commenting jerks....especially the ones with square headlights.

A REAL Jeep has round headlights.

I COMPLETELY Agree! :D

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:52 am 
LOST Member

:arrow:

Last edited by Dutchy on Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounding a Lot like the good 'ol days of JU in here lately. :roll:
I gotta get in the garage and try to figure out a way to get some round headlights mounted on my XJ poser Jeep. :lol:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think some of you might be missing what I said in the post.

I don't like the boxy look. I like the look of my '04.
The point is, underneath, there's nothing Dodge about the new Liberty.
And by using flex-manufacturing, we can have low volume vehicles, like the Gladiator or other types of Jeeps.

But, you can just look at the '05 Renegade to know where they were going. People complained about how "cute" the Liberty was, so they flattened the hood on the Renegade. I like the hood on my '04 much better than the '05. I would have not bought a Liberty if it wasn't in the Renegade package.

Jeeps were square upfront before the Liberty. The new Liberty is closer to the Cherokee it replaced. So, unfortunatley, Jeep is heading back to it's roots, which are boxy vehicles.

Frankly, if I were to replace the Liberty, it would be hard for me to decide between a 4 door Wrangler and the new Liberty. But, my next vehicle will be a companion car to my Liberty and not a replacement.

CRS-Rock Rails * Rusty's Lift * *MTR's * Husky Mats * The 'Grill' and Shelf

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

At least give Jeep the chance to release it before you make up your mind. I'd be so jealous if a selectable rubicon-type locker was an option, or if you could fit 265/75s without cutting it up, or if there is a more powerful engine option. That said, I love my KJ too, and I intend on keeping it. So keep yours too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Quote:
At least give Jeep the chance to release it before you make up your mind.

I can remember not liking the Liberty AT ALL when I first saw it. Its really hard to tell what something is going to be just from pictures. It will grow on you, I'm sure. I looked at a Nitro at my dealer this week and there is alot of Liberty in it. Yeah... it may be different, but the Lib was different from the Cherokee. It sad to see all the whining about it. They will probably have to start a new forum for it because it isn't good enough to be included here. Come on folks. time moves on.
And if I don't like it after a few months, I'll just drive my Lib til the wheels fall off of it. (81,800 mi now)

Bridgestone Dueler H/Ps
Thule Spare Me bike rack...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am not a Jeep guy and bought the CRD because of the diesel and the overall utility. I also liked the funky look of the Liberty. I never really liked the look of the fit and feel of my daughters Cherokee. To me the Cherokee was nothing more than a small Wagoneer and neither were SUV's, they were 4WD station wagons. That being said.........

Yesterday I kept seeing the Dodge Nitro add at work that was the feature on MSN. I took the tour and looked at the pictures in anew. To me, if you strip away the heavy front bumper and grill, there is more Jeep look in the Nitro than Dodge. If you put a Jeep front on the Nitro you have a Jeep because that front is pretty much all that it there that is not Jeep to my eye. Problem is that it is not the part of Jeep that I have liked.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Butt ulgy doesn't even begin to describe the new libby. It's a junor commander. Dr. Z should put it back in the oven to let it finish baking. :evil:

Post subject: 08 Libby
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just happened to be surfing on Motor Trend's website and found this:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto ... ep_liberty

I agree, it looks like crap-ola.

Wishin it was a 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:25 pm 
LOST Member

wendell wrote:
is the new kk isn't a jeep, it's a dodge nitro with a jeep grill.

You do know that the Nitro is a Liberty with a dodge body, right?