It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KK Spare Tire
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:48 am 
LOST Member

I had a flat tire the other day... Well, I didn't know it was flat, but the tire pressure sensor said I had a low tire.

Sure enough, I had a nail in one of my tires. I work across the street from a tire dealer, so I left the KK there to get the tire fixed.
The next morning, I had another tire pressure warning. I went back to the tire dealer, and the same tire that he had fixed was low again.
Since I needed the vechicle, I had him put my spare on.

I took the spare down from it's little nest under the rear of the car. It was very easy to take it down.

When I went back to pick up the repaired tire, I had the guy put where the spare was, and left the spare on the right-front.

Today, I was thinking... I remember seeing Diggers pics of underneath his KK. The guy at the tire shop had put the spare on upside down.

So I took the spare down, turned it around where the inside of the rim was down towards the ground, and remounted the spare.

I have to say, for everyone that says the tire belongs on the rear like the KJ..... I had a KJ also. Between mounting the spare on the KJ and the KK, the KK is way easier to mount.
From what I remember of trying to remount the spare on that little spare rack on the back of my KJ, I had to lift the tire up, then hold it in place while I got a couple of lug nuts started.
It was sort of a pain in the butt. Remounting the KK spare today just seemed a whole bunch easier to me.

Also, someone asked how much room there is where the spare tire goes... that is a huge area up there. I didn't have time to measure it, but you should be able to mount a tire that's quite
a bit larger than normal up there.

Ok, enough of my rambling.... I've had a crappy weekend, I had to work all day today :evil: :evil:

Tow Package
Factory Skid Plates
[url=http://www.speedtest.net/result/828427318.png[/img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/828427318.png[/img[/url]

Post subject: Re: KK Spare Tire
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rickm wrote:
I had a flat tire the other day... Well, I didn't know it was flat, but the tire pressure sensor said I had a low tire.

Sure enough, I had a nail in one of my tires. I work across the street from a tire dealer, so I left the KK there to get the tire fixed.
The next morning, I had another tire pressure warning. I went back to the tire dealer, and the same tire that he had fixed was low again.
Since I needed the vechicle, I had him put my spare on.

I took the spare down from it's little nest under the rear of the car. It was very easy to take it down.

When I went back to pick up the repaired tire, I had the guy put where the spare was, and left the spare on the right-front.

Today, I was thinking... I remember seeing Diggers pics of underneath his KK. The guy at the tire shop had put the spare on upside down.

So I took the spare down, turned it around where the inside of the rim was down towards the ground, and remounted the spare.

I have to say, for everyone that says the tire belongs on the rear like the KJ..... I had a KJ also. Between mounting the spare on the KJ and the KK, the KK is way easier to mount.
From what I remember of trying to remount the spare on that little spare rack on the back of my KJ, I had to lift the tire up, then hold it in place while I got a couple of lug nuts started.
It was sort of a pain in the butt. Remounting the KK spare today just seemed a whole bunch easier to me.

Also, someone asked how much room there is where the spare tire goes... that is a huge area up there. I didn't have time to measure it, but you should be able to mount a tire that's quite
a bit larger than normal up there.

Ok, enough of my rambling.... I've had a crappy weekend, I had to work all day today :evil: :evil:
Just wait until you got a flat in a big mud hole or on a rock where that spare is virtually impossible to get to.Having the spare underneath may be nicer for the mallcrawlers but the offroaders it's a real pain in the rear.

Post subject: Re: KK Spare Tire
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:22 am 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Just wait until you got a flat in a big mud hole or on a rock where that spare is virtually impossible to get to.Having the spare underneath may be nicer for the mallcrawlers but the offroaders it's a real pain in the rear.

yeah no joke this would not work for off roading for sure im glad mine is on the rear.. i guess if u were to take the KK off road u could throw it on top befor u left but that would not be cool either to have to do that everytime befor u went off road. on the other hand if its only for street use it at least looks better i guess.

pioneer cd/aux with Zune mounted on dash; uniden cb with 4' K40 antenna
xeon lights; grill inserts; black wheels; 245/75/16s MTRs
#1281 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2967585/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:40 am 
LOST Member

well, I drive mine off road quite a bit, and I still don't see the big deal. Anytime you have a flat when offroad is a royal pain, no matter where the spare is located. Also, like I said, I've had a KJ and now a KK. The KK just seems a whole bunch easier to get the spare on and off.

Tow Package
Factory Skid Plates
[url=http://www.speedtest.net/result/828427318.png[/img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/828427318.png[/img[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Eventually I plan to buy a roof rack and mount the tire up there.

Live Free or Die

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:08 pm 
LOST Addict

hopefully we will have a roof rack here VERY soon

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

ozzysjeep wrote:
Eventually I plan to buy a roof rack and mount the tire up there.

And mount a long range reservoir in the place of the spare. Hoping the aftermarket will do its work.

Mopar skid plates (3x)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

if you say so...to get the spare from the kk and you have to get dirty and lie on the ground and hold the tire in place, one slip the tire falls on your face. Then imagine getting a flat in the mud then having to crawl in the mud then sit back in your interior covered in mud. Yea thats what i want....

255/65/16 yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Tow hooks
Flowmaster super 44

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:05 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I always remember coming up on my friends pickup, seeing it with a flat tire, snowing after it had been raining for days, his wife on the way to church......laying on the ground trying to drag the tire out...not a good memory, hate spares underneath anything, stupid idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:22 pm 
_UnLiMiTeD_ wrote:
if you say so...to get the spare from the kk and you have to get dirty and lie on the ground and hold the tire in place, one slip the tire falls on your face. Then imagine getting a flat in the mud then having to crawl in the mud then sit back in your interior covered in mud. Yea thats what i want....

Actually, all you do is stand behind the vehicle and crank it down. it's not like it's an 85 Ranger or a PT Loser with that stupid cage that drops from the bottom of the vehicle. the cable that holds the tire is long enough to remove the thing that the tire hangs from without getting dirty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When RockLizard produces his rear bumper for the KK with a tire carrier, you'll have multiple choices for carrying the spare.

Anyone with photo shop???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:03 pm 
LOST Addict

here is a photo

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:50 am 
LOST Junkie

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
_UnLiMiTeD_ wrote:

Actually, all you do is stand behind the vehicle and crank it down. it's not like it's an 85 Ranger or a PT Loser with that stupid cage that drops from the bottom of the vehicle. the cable that holds the tire is long enough to remove the thing that the tire hangs from without getting dirty.

given that its not stuck in thick mud with a flat that happens all the time. The problem is, as long as your on a flat surface,or its upside down then yea its easy, but thats not always the situation

255/65/16 yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Tow hooks
Flowmaster super 44

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:47 am 
LOST Member

_UnLiMiTeD_ wrote:

where did you get that info? That's not at all the way it works. You don't have to lay on the ground and hold anything. You really should give it a try. I've changed spares on my KJ and KK, and the KJ seems a bit harder to do to me. You have to hold the heavy tire up in the air, line up the bolt holes, push it on, then hold it all in place while you get a couple of lug nuts started. To me, when I did it yesterday, the KK was just a whole lot easier than that. I didn't have to lift the tire up at all. I also didn't have to lay on the ground.

Tow Package
Factory Skid Plates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:49 am 
LOST Member

_UnLiMiTeD_ wrote:
ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
_UnLiMiTeD_ wrote:

given that its not stuck in thick mud with a flat that happens all the time. The problem is, as long as your on a flat surface,or its upside down then yea its easy, but thats not always the situation

if you're stuck in thick mud with a flat tire, you're gonna have a tough time, and you're gonna get a little dirty, no matter whether you have your tire underneath, on the rear door, or on a roof rack.

Tow Package
Factory Skid Plates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It will always depend on the situation as to which spot is better...but if you look at Camel/Dessert/other offroad forms of motorsports...the tire is on the roof/off the back or mounted inside the bed...underneath is not a place of choice. The thing is we are talking about regular users under "normal" circumstances.

Honestly, if the KK had the spare inside under the cargo floor I would have liked it. Fairly easy to get to, harder to steal and that space can be made into a long range fuel tank with a "spare shaped fuel cell". All of us can mount it on the back with a bumper or on the roof with a rack...but a KJ would have a hard time mounting underneath :wink:

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:35 am 
LOST Newbie

DarbyWalters wrote:
Honestly, if the KK had the spare inside under the cargo floor I would have liked it. Fairly easy to get to, harder to steal and that space can be made into a long range fuel tank with a "spare shaped fuel cell".

I fully agree. I would have preferred the spare inside.
One advantage that the KK has over the KJ: the cargo area is long enough to accept a spare upright at the side of the cargo area (style XJ). I have always thought that to be the ideal solution. No need to take all the baggage out to get the spare out.

Mopar skid plates (3x)