It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tranny Jumps on deceleration
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:02 pm 
LOST Member

New KK owner (60 miles on it now), and noticed a strange issue that I was curious if anyone else experienced; When accelerating (pedal almost all to all the way down), and then pulling back immediately on the accelerator, the transmissions seems to "jump" so to speak. It's almost like I am going from 4th gear to 2nd, it litterally throws me forward in the seat. Normally, in all my other Jeeps I have owned (1st gen KJ's, Commanders), the engine just pulls back and decelerates without the "jump". If this sounds like something that shouldn't be (tranny and engine learning driving behaviors), or if anyone else has seen this and knows it to be a problem, then I will take it to the dealer. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

At 60 miles you shouldn't be nailing the throttle like that,not for at least 500 miles to break the engine/tranny/t-case/and diffs in.It will take about a week or so for the tranny to learn your driving habits and adjust.From the lack of breaking in it seams like your tranny is upshifting a little early when you let up at a near WOT situation.It should get better as time goes on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 pm 
LOST Member

Roger that, thanks. I can give it time. Not my normal driving habit, but in traffic, let's say from going from a dead stop and accelerating, and then some yahoo cuts me off, I pull off and it jumped. We shall see. I am surprised by the quality of the ride, it's really nice. That hill assist feature is nice too (although I would have figured that would be a technology strictly for manual transmissions). So many new buttons to figure out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have experienced this as well. I'm at about 550 miles, myself. I believe the sensation you are describing is because you are likely pushing down on the gas far enough to force it to downshift once more. This happens frequently I've noticed because it pretty much keeps you in overdrive. Giving it a little gas causes it to fall out of overdrive, down to "3rd". A little more gas will nock it down to 2nd, and so on. I have noticed in this Jeep, unlike my 2002 Renegade, it will downshift to 1st gear at up to 40 miles per hour. Anyway I think what is happening is you reach "your speed" right as it downshifts a second time. At the very same time you take your foot off the gas. You are now in a lower gear with no acceleration. For a moment the tach will rev up, you jerk forward, then the tranny will shift back up a gear, then back to overdrive (unless you panic and floor it). I have noticed this in 2nd and 1st gears. I think it only did it once to 1st gear. I live in central coastal California (lots of hills). I was going up a hill and it downshifted to 2nd, then right as I had decided to let up the gas, it downshifted to 1st at about 35 miles per hour... It was quite a jolt forward but the tranny quickly shifted up (less than 1 second). It is an annoying sensation, but I've been trying not to force the issue until it's all broken in.

I'll be posting some more thorough write-ups on the 2008 Liberty in general, once I have a better feel for it. I can say that I've had my green Limited w/skyslider & MyGig for 1 week and I LOVE it. Took it up to Hollister Hills SVRA today. Great!