It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Oil Change
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Well, I took my Liberty to the dealer for the first oil change (1655 Miles). I know I will hear why so early or why so late but I am preparing for a 2000 mi trip to Georgia and back and so I wanted it done now just in case. The question is with the 5w-20 stamped on the Engine why the dealer considers 5w-30 better or equally as good? :?

Towing Package w All Terrain Tires - Moonroof

Idahoan Stuck in New York

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wouldn't call it better, but equally as good works. The Main reason for lighter weight oils making their way into the new vehicles is so the MFG's can realize a Higher across the board Average MPG figure. If each of their vehicles gains just a couple tenths better MPG's it looks better to the Gov't that is pushing for higher standards. Is there anything wrong w/ those lighter weight oils? Not really as long as they are maintained and/or a high quality synthetic.

0w30 Amsoil has been in use for decades now in many applications and works great for both MPG improvements and extended drain intervals.

Using the 5w30 that the earlier models use is not a problem as the vehicle won't know the difference and only your overall MPG may go down as a result. Regardless of which weight you use You probably won't see your best MPG figures until you have some more mileage under your belt.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal