It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel Mileage Changes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have been checking my mileage since I bought my 08. So far my average by fill up is 16.50 to 16.88. My computer says 17.5 but that's not what fuel v. mileage check comes out to. I have 1150 on the vehicle. Has anyone noticed better gas mileage as the vehicle reaches a certain amount of miles? I drive it about average, nothing too slow and not real fast about average. I have seen people on this site state they are getting in the 20's for mileage, I would like to know how it's done? I don't do a lot of highway I would say 70% local and 30% highway on the average. I would be pleased to get in the 17's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Most likely will never see anything over 17 with 3/4 of your driving city driving.I'd be tickled to death with 16mpg's for a average.With less then 1200 miles on your KK it will/should get a little better after about 5000-10,000 miles(average break in time).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:34 pm 
LOST Addict

like tjkj said, mine gained a little more power and a little extra mileage after 5000, but almost all of my driving is city

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:29 am 
Bush Hunter

Only drive on the highway, we usually get about 18.5 without towing.
Other than that, I just started into the 5500 miles area, and will produce numbers later this week.

PS, I just added alot of weight to the underside... :cry:

Curt class III/IV hitch, and wireing
O.K. Offroad steel reciever shackle
Zune 80 gig for the tunes,
(Do Jeep slush mats count?)
Life size Amstaff terrier bobble head in rear seat :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone changed to synthetic oil and seen a difference? I though about changing to synthetic but not for at least 5000 miles, so the engine could properly break in. "Worth it or Not" for the extra cost and possibly a slight increase in mileage? Like I said above if I could avaerage 17 mpg, I think I would be happy with that. The liberty is a heavy vehicle for that six and it's not that bad. Anyone know why the computer shows one mpg better than what it really is? Maybe they did that to make us feel better. I guess I should be happy with 16.5, when I owned my 04 Grand Cherokee 4.7, I only got 14.5 to 15 on a good day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:54 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm guessing that you have a slushbox which limits you somewhat.

Been mostly driving in town but doing very little heavy traffic "city" driving and/or a lot of starts (few traffic lights) and driving very easy (short shifting, no hard starts, coasting when I can etc…) it's pretty normal for me to be ~19.5 on a tank like that, it'll go to 20.5 if there's a hundred or so highway miles on the tank. This fall when hunting season arrives I'll get the chance to put a bunch of miles on the highway where I can test various speeds for whole tanks. And yes, I picked up a couple extra MPGs after about 2kmi.

Otherwise, driving for mileage without getting crazy is pretty easy:
Never floor it.
Take off from stops pretending there's an egg shell (that you don't want to break) under your go pedal
Coast into stops (obviously you can get too carried away with this but if you go straight from the gas to the breaks you're wasting gas

Without having driven one of the autos I can't say for sure but I bet that you can game it to mimic short shifting by using the manual settings, start in first hit 2nd @ 2k, hit 3rd at 2k etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:10 am 
LOST Newbie

With 4100 miles on the odometer, I'm averaging 18-19 mpg on the highway. I was hoping for 21...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Rutdggr wrote:
With 4100 miles on the odometer, I'm averaging 18-19 mpg on the highway. I was hoping for 21...

@ what speed?

the EPA mileage estimate is not based on going 70 or 75mph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 am 
LOST Newbie

lemonboy wrote:
Rutdggr wrote:

@ what speed?

the EPA mileage estimate is not based on going 70 or 75mph.

I should have mention my mileage was based at 75 mph, and I understand how EPA estimates are determined. BTW: The EPA sticker on our window stated 23/18 mpg. I'm not complaining, just hoping for 21 on the highway after 5,000 or 10,000 miles are on the odometer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 am 
LOST Newbie

I'd be real surprised if you could get 21 @ 75mph. These things are after all shaped remarkably like a brick. :) That said, if you were willing to slow down to 65 I bet you'd get there or even better. I spent a decade driving a pickup that you could literally see the fuel gauge move at 75mph and at 60mph it'd get a LOT better mileage.

regardless, like I said: it won't be till this fall when I'll be able to figure out for myself where mine does best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:54 am 
LOST Newbie

lemonboy wrote:
I'd be real surprised if you could get 21 @ 75mph. These things are after all shaped remarkably like a brick. :) That said, if you were willing to slow down to 65 I bet you'd get there or even better.

You are absolutely right, the Liberty's aren't designed for the least amount of wind resistance! However, it would be hard to slow down to 65 mph on I-75 headed to Orlando. They run 75 in the slow lane! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:41 pm 
LOST Member

I never seem to do any worse than 20 mpg with the exception of 1 tank that came in at 18.something. Usually it's between 21.5 and 22.5. I have the manual and do a lot on the highway, but I also do a lot of up and down, as I live on one side of the front range and work on the other. I start my day at 9500' ASL, go to work at 5500' and then go back. Max elevation is about 10500', and min is about 5200' and I go for a total of about 120 miles per day. Also, I climb and decend at just under 3K on the tach, averaging about 70mph. I'm always conscious of driving for good milage... I start off easy and never go over 3500 rpms... Almost always keep it under 3K. It's not exactly a rocket anyways, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Haven't seen 23 mpg yet - waiting for the trip through Kansas with a nice tailwind.

edit - except for the one tank which came somewhere around 1500 miles, these stats have been consistent for the life of the jeep... 7500 miles so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

That's excellent gas mileage 21 mpg wow! I wish I could get that, my jeep is an auto not a manual tranny. Just got the new Consumer reports in and they trashed the 08 liberty again. Most of their bitches are not valid. They love the Honda Cr-V and my wife owns one and the wind noise and road noise is unreal. My wife comments about it all the time. They complained that the liberty was cramped, noisy and didn't handle well and they hate the 3.7. The engine is course, noisy, sluggish and gets terrible gas mileage at 16 mpg. My liberty is nicer, more comfortable, faster and way more sold than my wife CRV.
Then on the next page where they compair side by side each vehicle, they gave it a very good performance. 0-60 in 9.2 seconds which was in the middle of the pack of vehicles tested. They stated that it worse than the older liberty. I beg to differ on that I owned one, this vehicle is not just better it's a lot better all the way around. Why do they hate Jeep and Chrysler so much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Why do they hate Jeep and Chrysler so much?
Because Jeep doen't pay there salary like toyota and all those other wanna be 4wd's do.

Just look at it this way---------------------"Jeep" and "good mpg's" don't ever belong in the same sentance together,that's not what a Jeep was ever intended to be--and good mpg vehicle,it's ment to be a "go anywhere" vehicle that sorry doesn't include good mpg's.

Post subject: Great mpg! KK Limited w/auto
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just got back from a 500+ mile roadtrip From TC to Flint Mi and back.

Trip down I hit 26 mpg average going 55-60 with no ac. Revs were about 2k and rarely let it go over 2500
when getting up to speed. Yes it was tough but wanted a long distance reading.

Coming home I ran ac at 70 and got 22 average. Once I hit 115, I went 60 w/ac reset the mpg through 75 miles and got 24mpg going through rolling hills and 15 miles of bigger hills w/downshifts.

I even got 17+ pulling a 2500+ lb. trailer with the tow haul button kicked in a few weeks ago!

Easy on the right foot, plan ahead for hills and stops, and enjoy a great rig!

I'm at about 8500 miles, Tire pressure is a 39 average, Stock tires too.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:03 am 
LOST Newbie

Now that I have 1500 miles on my vehicle, the last fill up I only got 16 mpg. It got worse not better, so I filled up the tires with 40 lbs cold. I have to say this though, the performance seems a lot better than when new. It started at about 1300 mile, it just seems faster now that the engine is somewhat broken in a bit. Anyone else notice this change. When did everyone do their first oil change?

Post subject: Gas milage
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have 6400+ on my 4x2 KK. When I first started using it I was seeing 15mpg doing my paper route. My route is rural, over 73 miles in length, and involves pavement, gravel and dirt "paths". Today my I am averaging 17mpg. And that is pretty steady. The motor runs better now as well. I have not ran much long distance, open road yet, but the times I have used the interstate for some 20+ mile trips, the gas needle didn't move. I think that once it is broke in the '08 KK ispretty darn good on gas considering that it is a "jeep".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 pm 
LOST Member

Seems like the 6-speed is the ticket to decent MPG.

Trip to our cottage in MI over the holiday weekend, on the way there going 70-80mph most of the time with AC on. On the way home 60-70mph, windows and sky slider open, with some stop n go traffic... I got 22 MPG overall.

SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Mr Nick wrote:

Trip to our cottage in MI over the holiday weekend, on the way there going 70-80mph most of the time with AC on. On the way home 60-70mph, windows and sky slider open, with some stop n go traffic... I got 22 MPG overall.

That's great. I got 22mpg with a fully loaded truck and a platform on the hitch, but only with windows closed and no A/C going to Georgia from New York. I had only 2000mi so I hope it will improve more with miles. 8)

Towing Package w All Terrain Tires - Moonroof

Idahoan Stuck in New York

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Mr Nick wrote:

That's great. With my 4-speed Automatic I got 22mpg going from New York to Georgia fully loaded with a hitch platform, but I had to keep the windows up and the A/C off for that performance. I also only had 2000 mi. I hope the mpg will improve some with a few more miles. 8)

Towing Package w All Terrain Tires - Moonroof

Idahoan Stuck in New York