It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear Auto Locker
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:57 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi, I have a 2008 KK Cherokee (Liberty) here in Australia. My question to you all is will a rear auto lock be affested by ESP, ABS? My Jeep has Select Trac II.

Rock Sliders.
4WD Systems Lock Right Lokka.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:44 am 
LOST Member

That's a great question, and one I wonder about too. There has got to be a point where the traction control and a locker will clash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well supposedly rear lockers only engage at very slow speeds.....under 20mph I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Im assuming you would be using the locker, at low speed and in 4 low? or am I completely wrong here? If you where using it in 4 low that shuts down the traction control or at least turns it down. So in that case you would be ok, im sure. Does an auto locker automatically kick in? (maybe a dumb ?) and if so under what circumstance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

No, I am talking about an Auto Locker e.g Powertrax no slip or Detroit Locker. Always locked. Has anyone fitted one to a KK. Is the rear diff the same as KJ?

Rock Sliders.
4WD Systems Lock Right Lokka.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:25 pm 
LOST Member

From what I gather, the Powertrax model is locked as long as the vehicle is going straight. Some how, it mechanically unlocks when the vehicle turns. However, independent reviewers warn that there is a bit of understeer with this unit, leading me to believe it doesn't "unlock" instantaneously.

The question I have is, how would this affect ESP? ESP is supposed to intervene when a vehicle is starting to fishtail, spin, etc by applying the brakes to one wheel to correct the direction of the vehicle. If the rear diff is already locked, what effect does braking one wheel have on driving dynamics? Can't be good.

Then again, I don't know anything...just thinking out loud. I guess, unless someone can provide a logical explanation, I'd opt for a selectable locker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KKeith wrote:
No, I am talking about an Auto Locker e.g Powertrax no slip or Detroit Locker. Always locked. Has anyone fitted one to a KK. Is the rear diff the same as KJ?
Yes the rear diff is the same one in the KJ,Lockers are now known not to effect ESP.

Quote:
Sartori

Well supposedly rear lockers only engage at very slow speeds.....under 20mph I believe.

Well since the KK,nor KJ,ever came with a OEM locker that is not true.Aftermarket lockers will engage whenever they are switched on(ARB) or torque is applied to it(Detriot Locker).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:29 pm 
LOST Addict

well i've looked into this A LOT since my 06 has traction control and i'm eventually going to buy the Aussie locker (same as powertrax/detroit). I do not think it will effect the ESP at all.. since the ESP senses when a wheel is traveling at a different speed and applies the brake as needed to which ever side... with these 3 lockers the rear wheels will be "locked" together when your on the throttle.. which means neither will slip.. which means the ESP will have no reason to interfere.

of course a selectable locker is the best situation... my budget only allows for a $300 dollar lunch box locker.. so that's what it'll be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:37 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
with these 3 lockers the rear wheels will be "locked" together when your on the throttle.. which means neither will slip.. which means the ESP will have no reason to interfere.

esp will also engage if it sense that the veichle is fishtailing or if you go straight while the wheels are turned but auto lockers still wont interfere. at worst esp will be slightly less effective since braking on one wheel will not transfer torque to the other

to the op: get a locker asap its worth every penny even if you have esp and if you still think esp may give you some problems just disable it :twisted:

4.56 gears, arb locker front and rear.
3'' fox lift, Jba A arms
33'' Bfg KM2 with 1 1/4'' wheel spacers