It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bumper grille insert anybody?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

My first post here, anyway i have a 08 liberty and just looking at the front bumper you see there is an opening where you can see the cooler and it is really exposed. There is a billet grille available for the dodge Nitro that fits in the space. I was wondering if any of you have tried to cover that opening?

also any idea if the nitro one will fit?

Thanks in advance.

ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:07 am 
LOST Newbie

I don't know about the billet grill inserts for the dodge Nitro but here's what I did..........

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/ssttnn66/jeepforum3.jpg

I used rain gutter screen from my local home improvement store and used manilla folders for a template. Oh, and don't forget......lots of patients.

The screen was easy to cut with ordinary scissors like what you get in a cutlery set.

This was one of my first mods and it really cuts down on damage to the radiator and such :D :D :D . You'd be surprised as to the amount of bugs and crap these inserts catch :shock: . Keeping my radiator and coolers looking like new. Oh, ...and no increase in temp either. I don't know if there will be a problem in the winter with snow build up, we will just have to wait and see. Hope this helps.

Just do a search on this forum, I believe under the kj section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:52 am 
LOST Newbie

That really looks nice, how easy was it to remove the grille and how did you secure yours?

Thanks,
ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

There were I believe 3-5 plastic push scew inserts on top where you turn the plastic screw and "pop" the screw upwards. There was also 2 plastic clips that are on the bottom sides that needed to be pushed inward towards the center of the vehicle (if I recall correctly). Once the grill is off the vehicle, the seven verticle openings each have on insert that is clipped onto the grill. I took those inserts out, cut the screen to fit and pressed the inserts back onto the grill. The factory inserts is what is holding the individual screens in place. I know I should have taken pix of the process but it was late and did not have my camera handy. I did this mod the first week of August (when I purchased the vehicle) and going purely off memory. Here is a post from the kj forum that I used to help me out -- hopefully it can help you as well:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28672

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26156

As for the bottom opening, I put the same type of screen in place right after putting my tow hooks on. Again, I used manilla folders to make a template and cut the screen. I then "pushed" the screen into position. If you look at your side corners of the opening, you will see how it opens at an angle towards the front of the vehicle, I just used the end of my ratchet to force the screen up into it and just let pressure hold it in place. The top and bottom is just held in by the jaggedness from the screen being cut. No "mounting" hardware was used.

Hope this helps.

As a side note, we had our first snow today and it was the wet snow with very big flakes. The whole front of my vehicle was encased by about 1/4 inch of slush on my headlights and bumper. The top grill inserts were 3/4 closed by the slush and the bottom was only 1/2 covered so you will need to watch for this. I am anxious to see if this will be a major problem or if it was unique due to the snow being so wet and large flakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks a lot, you have been very helpful!