It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Please complete this poll if you own a Jeep Liberty KK with a SkySlider roof. Please read all choices before choosing a selection. Please also post a description of your specific experience or any other SkySlider issues you have experienced. Thank you.
I have experienced what a reasonable person would consider excessive wind noise with the SkySlider in the closed position, but have not had service performed on the SkySlider since purchase. 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
I have experienced excessive wind noise, but service was performed on the SkySlider and I no longer experience excessive wind noise with the SkySlider in the closed position. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I have experienced excessive wind noise and service has been performed on the SkySlider, however I continue to experience excessive wind noise with SkySlider in the closed position. 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
I have experienced wind noise with the SkySlider in the closed position, but believe that the wind noise is characteristic of a vehicle with this type of roof and will not be taking my vehicle in for service on the SkySlider. 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
I have not experienced excessive wind noise with the SkySlider in the closed position. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I have not experienced excessive wind noise, but have had other problems with my SkySlider, which I will explain below. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I do not have a SkySlider roof installed on my Jeep Liberty KK. 38%  38%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: SkySlider Issues - Poll & Information
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:10 pm 
LOST Member

SkySlider Issues - Poll & Information

Please complete this poll if you own a Jeep Liberty KK with the SkySlider roof. This poll is being used to determine how many KK owners are experiencing excessive wind noise with the SkySlider in the closed position and any other problems that KK owners are having with the SkySlider.

Your participation is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to complete this poll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:13 pm 
LOST Member

It is my contention that the excessive wind noise is a problem caused by an inherent design flaw in the SkySlider and should be covered by warranty. Some may argue that wind noise is characteristic of a vehicle with this type of roof, but I must respectfully disagree. Chrysler actually claims on their Jeep website that, "A unique roof structure was used that allows similar performance in noise, wind and crash safety as the standard hard-top.”

I intend to file a complaint with Chrysler, LLC for the excessive wind noise caused by the SkySlider. I have had problems since I purchased the vehicle. Before I bought the Jeep, My salesman specifically mentioned how quiet the ride was in the KKs with the SkySlider and Jeep’s website claims it to provide a quiet ride so I assumed this information to be true. I have had my Jeep in twice for service on the SkySlider since purchase. On the second visit, they performed TSB 23-013-08 Rev. B. Replacing the header bow slightly decreased the wind noise, but the noise is still prevalent and I believe the improvement is temporary. I am mailing my formal complaint to Chrysler, LLC and the dealership this afternoon. I will post any developments with my SkySlider issues in this forum. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:31 pm 
LOST Member

RPM007 wrote:
It is my contention that the excessive wind noise is a problem caused by an inherent design flaw in the SkySlider and should be covered by warranty. Some may argue that wind noise is characteristic of a vehicle with this type of roof, but I must respectfully disagree. Chrysler actually claims on their Jeep website that, "A unique roof structure was used that allows similar performance in noise, wind and crash safety as the standard hard-top.”

I intend to file a complaint with Chrysler, LLC for the excessive wind noise caused by the SkySlider. I have had problems since I purchased the vehicle. Before I bought the Jeep, My salesman specifically mentioned how quiet the ride was in the KKs with the SkySlider and Jeep’s website claims it to provide a quiet ride so I assumed this information to be true. I have had my Jeep in twice for service on the SkySlider since purchase. On the second visit, they performed TSB 23-013-08 Rev. B. Replacing the header bow slightly decreased the wind noise, but the noise is still prevalent and I believe the improvement is temporary. I am mailing my formal complaint to Chrysler, LLC and the dealership this afternoon. I will post any developments with my SkySlider issues in this forum. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

My experience really mirrors yours. I would be interested in what you find out. Do you agree that a simple wind deflector would solve our issue?

Factory Tow Package
Alpine x001 Head Unit
Sirius Sat Radio
Garmin 265WT GPS
Interior LED Mod
225/75/16 General Grabber AT2's

Coming Soon . . .
1.5-2.5" lift and someone needs to find me some black wheels . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:10 pm 
LOST Member

I've dropped mine off for the service today... and hoping it helps, and that you two are simply over-critical-sob's (no offence :roll: )

I hope to have it back today, and we'll see what happens. However, if they did develop - i would buy - a full sized wind deflector. Akin to the sunroof deflector, just big enough for the whole sky-slider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:27 pm 
LOST Member

zoso7374 wrote:
My experience really mirrors yours. I would be interested in what you find out. Do you agree that a simple wind deflector would solve our issue?

I agree that a wind deflector would eliminate most of the wind noise caused by the SkySlider. I can't understand why Chrysler did not factory install a deflector in the first place. The SkySlider closes on top of the roof so the front of the SkySlider catches the wind causing the front bow to separate slightly from the roof, which causes the wind noise problems. If the SkySlider would close into a groove or behind a deflector, the noise could possibly be eliminated.

I have searched the web exhaustively for a company that will produce something, but I have had limited success. A company called WeatherTech in Downers Grove, IL said they woould look into making one, but they might have just been blowing smoke. I also read in some blog that Chrysler is working with a third-party vendor to create a deflector, but who knows if that is true. I would imagine that in the current financial climate, no one is going to be too concerned about fixing our noisy SkySlider problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had the window noise.
I took it in and have the Serive done.

The noise went away 99% of it.
It does come back if I hit 80MPH.

but as we drive 55 to 70 depending on posted limits this is not an issue now. I di expect them to come out with more fixes and better contoll over how it is closed and tightened down...

As time goes on the noise will come back i am sure...

But i got the extened warranty. so if it come back in the next 7 years I will be covered.. now to finda dealer who will do the work, might be tricky. They love getting out of work....

I worry that techs might not be doing the work right. I was a tech once for a dealer, and see people taking short cuts all the time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:00 pm 
LOST Member

Have a 2008 Limited with the skyslider. It has always been a bit loud when cruising at 70MPH. My more serious issue is with the leaking of it and staining my headliner. I live where we do get snow in the winter, along with all the salt, and I do need to keep the Jeep clean. So I have gone through
my regular car wash I've always gone to with every other car I ever owned. Yes, I know what it says about pressure washing, but how the heck are you supposed to keep the car clean in the winter?????
I first wrote, and then talked, to Chrysler about some of the issues I've been having with this Jeep, this being among some of the issues. They said they would have their lawyers look into it and get back to me within 4 to 5 business days. Next day I got a call from them......very strong East Indian accent.....and told me there was nothing they could do for me. I had asked for a buy-back. Got nowhere with them. And now with bankruptcy possibly looming over their heads, they are sure not going to do a single thing.
I'm not happy about it all......as I have posted before on this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:34 pm 
LOST Member

Mine was fine when I first bought it, then after about 6 months it was bad at 60mph or more. By the time I was able to bring it in for the most recent TSB, it had gotten much worse. After the TSB, the noise has been reduced at lower speeds, but at 70mph it starts to howl again, and by 75mph it's very annoying.

Side question, when you guys brought yours in for the TSB, did the dealer give you a free rental for the day? I had to pay for my own rental... :roll:

SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:45 pm 
LOST Member

Mr Nick wrote:
Mine was fine when I first bought it, then after about 6 months it was bad at 60mph or more. By the time I was able to bring it in for the most recent TSB, it had gotten much worse. After the TSB, the noise has been reduced at lower speeds, but at 70mph it starts to howl again, and by 75mph it's very annoying.

Side question, when you guys brought yours in for the TSB, did the dealer give you a free rental for the day? I had to pay for my own rental... :roll:

That lends to my theory that replacing the header bow only temporarily decreases the wind noise.

My dealer tried to make me pay for the rental. They claim that the dealerships no longer give out loaners and that I must have purchased the extended service plan to get the free rental. I found this unacceptable so I b*tched and moaned until they agreed to give me a free rental. I paid them too much darn money for transportation and wasn't about to give them any more. After the porter had pulled up the rental and I was ready to leave, they discovered that I had let my driver's license expire so could not rent a car. I looked like a supreme a**hole and had to ask a porter for a ride home. Good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:16 am 
Taco Killer

whats this skyslider you guys talk about??? hahha j/k!
I do get wind noise but Ive been dealing with jeeps since 1998.... I guess no one (maybe in this post) has ever had a soft top
I find my skyslider really quiet compared to other soft tops Ive dealt with

2009 4x4 Silver Liberty Limited Edition, Premium Group I and II, Skid Plate Group, Exterior Appearance Group by MOPAR, Select Trac II, Sky Slider,uconnect studios,Slush Mats, Hid HEADLAMPS, Interior LED light mod, Scangauge 2, AEM brute force intake, IPOD Integration interface for RER RADIOS, OEM Front end bra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:58 am 
LOST Junkie

I did not get a free rental or Loaner car. I asked they said no. but they would if i really complained. I feel that Jeep should be providing loaner cars if the car is in for warranty service..

But with times getting tuff and money running out, they are cutting back every corner they can..

I am glad to have an extra car in these times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SilverKK09 wrote:
I do get wind noise but Ive been dealing with jeeps since 1998.... I guess no one (maybe in this post) has ever had a soft top
Agreed......................

You bought a Jeep,not a $300,000 Bentley.

A little phrase comes to mind..............

It's a Jeep thing,you wouldn't understand

Guess you haven't understood yet,Jeeps make funny noises,ride terrible,need constant TLC,and so on and so on and that there is 100% of the appeal and dang will they ever get you where you want to go 8) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:55 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
SilverKK09 wrote:
Agreed......................

You bought a Jeep,not a $300,000 Bentley.

A little phrase comes to mind..............

It's a Jeep thing,you wouldn't understand

Guess you haven't understood yet,Jeeps make funny noises,ride terrible,need constant TLC,and so on and so on and that there is 100% of the appeal and dang will they ever get you where you want to go 8) .

I am new to Jeep ownership, but I understand the rugged nature of the Jeep. That is precisely why I bought one. I had wanted to buy an XJ and mod the hell out of it for years, but saw that the new styling of the KK was similar in ways to the XJ and purchased one instead. I did so to benefit from advances in technology and engineering. Now, I am not completely ignorant. I understand that a roof made of vinyl is not going to be as quiet as a hard-top, but my SkySlider is loud and it f*cking pisses me off. If I wanted to listen to wind noise, I would have bought a JK.

My argument is that the SkySlider was poorly engineered. I am not an engineer, but to make the SkySlider close on top of the roof and not into some sort of deflector is contrary to a child's understanding of aerodynamics. I think maybe Chrysler forced out the SkySlider prematurely to be the first to manufacture that type of roof and perhaps cut some corners on R&D.

I am not here to complain, but the wind noise in my Jeep is significant enough to warrant(y) attention. I am aware that I didn't spend $300,000.00 on my Jeep, but I did spend far too much money to tolerate such an aggravating problem caused by such a retarded design flaw.

Respectfully,

RPM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:23 pm 
LOST Member

My last post was a bit of a rant. First day back at work after a week and a half off and it sucked. I like my Jeep and as soon as I start doing the some of the mods I have planned, I am sure I will love it.

Also, the SkySlider, when it's open, is badass. It has finally been warm enough to open it up the past couple days. Going fast as hell with the windows down, SkySlider open, blasting Metallica is the only way to drive home from a long day at work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:22 am 
LOST Member

RPM007 wrote:
Going fast as hell with the windows down, SkySlider open, blasting Metallica is the only way to drive home from a long day at work.

:shock: Woah... My girlfriend lives in Aurora, and I had the top open, windows down, and the Black Album blasting when I left her place last night.

SOLD

Post subject: Re: SkySlider Issues - Poll & Information
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I have had excessive wind noise with my sky slider 2008 kk for years.

It has been taken into the dealer more than once for this issue, and for all TSBs.

Issues have continued, and after the TSBs had been performed, the wind noise was actually slightly worse LOL. sad but true heh.

I have tried several modifications myself based on suggestions from this forum and others, including weather stripping.

Weather stripping is a great temporary fix. Works for a couple of months, then it is a pain to remove and reapply.

I have tried different brands, and sizes... temp fix only with weather stripping in my experience.

For a period of time, I found if you adjusted the sky slider just about 1/2 inch or so back, the wind noise decreased to a reasonable amount.

Water leaking into the cabin and into the light fixture, was and is constant, regardless of any modification thus far. Electrical system is a mess as a result HA.

Recently, there is a new issue, where the sky slider does not fully close in the front. Currently, I cannot leave it outside or drive it in the rain at all.

Documentation is very difficult to find for DIY repair for KK, especially concerning the 'sky slider', period. Chrysler is basically non-responsive ultimately with anything that involves the 'sky slider'. Tickets and complaints go no where, other than 'see a dealer', and will waste endless hours with support and management on both ends.

I love the sky slider in all other ways. Which is why I still continue to attempt to correct what are mostly small, but very annoying issues, with which is otherwise is a fantastic concept and product.

Now... I really need to correct the not closing in the front end of the sky slider. Noise I can 'handle'... not closing.. deal breaker. Don't want to just seal it up. This defeats the entire purpose.

Ok, this is my 25 cents input. Thanks for having this thread. If anyone has detailed instructions with pic/vids on how to really get in and DIY repair with the sky slider.. that would be AWESOME.

If not, and I do end up somehow DIY repairing.. I will certainly post for everyone else in the meantime.

Thanks everyone - keep jeepin.

Post subject: Re: SkySlider Issues - Poll & Information
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:56 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=86806&hilit=+deflector

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set