It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2052 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 103  Next
 Post subject: The Random Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:45 am 
LOST Member

This is the random thread... so we can post stuff that really is random, off the wall, and doesn't really belong in another thread.

Here's some random stuff....

I notice that some of the guys here are fairly young, I think Digger said he was 20 or 21.

So the question is... since we had a pretty good discussion on spark plugs...

How many folks here remember spark plug cleaners? They usually had them at the parts houses or at gas stations? You put your plug in the thing, pushed a button and it sand blasted it clean. Then you could put it in the other side connect a wire to the tip, and watch the spark. Anyone else remember those?

And while we are talking about spark plugs, how about ignition systems? How many folks here have never set the point gap in their distributor? How many have never set ignition timing using a timing light?

Changed an ignition coil? Changed out the little capacitor/condensor inside the distributor that was connected to the points?

And how about those ole big block V8 engines with the distributor sitting at the rear of the engine?

How about a capacitive discharge ignition? Anyone have one of those?

Ahh, the good old days.. I think I like the new engines and computer ignitions better.

Does anyone remember the first car engines not to have a set of points? I believe that Ford was first. I remember one of those things on a mid 70's Ford truck I drove in the military.

Tow Package
Factory Skid Plates
[url=http://www.speedtest.net/result/828427318.png[/img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/828427318.png[/img[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 am 
LOST Member

And speaking of engines... here's a little info about me..

I am retired from the U.S. Air Force. During my 20+ years in the Air Force, I worked in electrical power generation. I worked on some fairly large diesel engines. I worked on some Nordberg diesels that had an 18 inch bore.. I also worked on some diesel engines at Thule, Greenland that powered 1.5 megawatt generators. Those things had 24 opposed pistons in 12 cylinders. The had 2 crank shafts, with a vertical drive gear that combined the two crank shafts. They had 2 very large turbo chargers on them. Since the power plant was built on perma-frost, we were forever having problems with those vertical drive gears.... the perma-frost was always shifting and changing the foundation of the engines.

I also worked on some White Superior diesels at a power plant at a communications site in Athens, Greece. That was a great assignment.

I've also worked on some Cat's and even quite a few 671 and 1271 Detroid Diesel engines. The 671 was 6 cylinders and 71 cu in per cylinder. The 1271 was 12 cylinders and 71 cu in per cylinder. Those things were a royal pain in the rear end if you ever ran them out of fuel.

Now days I work as a chief engineer in broadcast radio. We have generator sets at some of our transmitter sites, but they are all propane or natural gas powered. The state of CA probably would not allow us to use diesel.

Tow Package
Factory Skid Plates
[url=http://www.speedtest.net/result/828427318.png[/img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/828427318.png[/img[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am 29, married and have 2 dogs. I have a 1.5 year old male Weimaraner named Gauge and a 1 year old male chocolate lab named Remington. What? You said we could post random. :lol:

Wife-2008, 4x4 KK North Edition- sunroof, THULE crossbars, kayak folding J's & fairing, WeatherTech mats front, rear & cargo, 6000K HID Hi/Low & Fogs, Rock Krawler X-factor lift, BDS shocks, 255/70-16 BFG ATs, 16x8 Eagle Alloys 137's(4.625"BS)
Mine-2007.5, Dodge 6.7L Cummins 2500 4x4 LARAMIE- Too many mods to list. CumminsForum.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had a 73 MG midget. I used to have to stop and set the point gap with a matchbook cover. They used to always vibrate closed. It also had dual carbs. Trying to get them in balance was a challenge. Set the timing with a light then tune it by ear. Used to spend hours just playing with the jets on the carbs, and just barely rotating the distributor, to get the best acceleration.
Ah, Yes the good old days.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:19 am 
LOST Member

My other car, and I have an associates degree in automotive technology... so yes I'm familiar with many of the things you mention. I'm 29 as well.

SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:22 am 
LOST Junkie

I own a Dwell meter,
I had a 5 gas machine in shop class.
I could tune a car by the tail pipe back in the day
also use to re-gap plugs every oil change.

I bring my Dogs to work. It helps to keep people out of my office when i walk away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:27 pm 
LOST Member

I bought a 1976 Dodge Aspen station wagon new. I think it was the first year for the Aspen, if I recall. Dodge had horribly bad quality control. You can't believe the things that I took that car back to the dealer for under repairs, new paint job, bad water temperature sensor, leaking windshield, new carpet, clattering valves, leaking rear main seals, just to name a few..

anyway, after all the bugs were worked out, I loved that car. I put a dual exhaust on it, Edlebrock manifold, and a four barrel carb.

I had this 18 foot travel trailer at the time, and pulled it from Nevada to Tennessee one summer.

We dropped down into Nashville and hit Interstate 40. About that time, we hit this large bump. All of a sudden, the engine is backfiring like crazy everytime I would accelerate.

So I get to East TN to my mothers house. I have some local shop to run a diagnostics on the engine.. I think they told me the plug wires were bad. Swapped those, it still backfired under acceleration.

Changed plugs, same thing. New points? Or did that car have no points? I can't remember now, but I think it did. Same thing, backfiring. Inspected the distributor cap about a bazillilon times, nothing.

I finally broke down and took it to a Dodge/Chrysler dealer in Knoxville. They said they would take care of the problem. Finally, a couple of hours later, I get the car back... no backfiring, but it had no power at all.

So I stop, get out and look and see that the vacuum advance line was not connected. So I connect that back up, and it starts backfiring again. I go back to the dealer and raise holy hell with them, since they charge me about $100 for that fix..

They apologize, take the car back in for another couple of hours, give it back to me and tell me it's fixed. I go drive the car off.. by this time they are closing.... no back firing, but still no power.

I get out and look, the vacuum advance line is connected, but I see this little buldge in the line very close to where it connects to the distributor. They had shoved a steel ball or a ball bearing down in the line to plug it up, and reconnected the line

Then they tell me that the vacuum advance on the distributor is bad... oh, and they can't order just the diaphram, I have to get a whole new distributor..

Get the car back, new distributor, start driving home.. no backfire, but no power.

So when I get home, I start looking and see the vacuum liine is connected, and no little buldge where it was plugged before. After much looking, I see that the buldge in the distributor vacuum advance line has moved from the end of the tube to the middle of the tube. I take the line off and sure enough it's plugged up with a ball bearing about half way down the line.

So I start thinking... I've changed everything there is to change, plugs, points, coil, distributor.... the only thing that didn't get changed was the distributor cap. I pull it off, and inspect it for the bazillionth time.. but this time, I pull the wires off and take it to some bright sunlight. No cracks, or carbon tracking or wear, but sure enough, just this little tiny spot by one of the electodes was broken off.. and I do mean tiny, maybe like 3/32 of an inch.

I get a new distributor cap, put it on, remove the plug from the vacuum advance line and all is well.

I go back to the dealer the next day, curse at him pretty bad, and he refunds my money..

Ahhh, the hassles of the good ole days. LOL :lol:

Tow Package
Factory Skid Plates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:08 pm 
LOST Member

my previous toys before my liberty...

2006 Jeep Wrangler X - Cragar Soft 8 wheels with 31x10.5 BFG All Terrain tires and a K&N Filter...only mods to it...fun truck but got bored with it after 30 months...

1988 Mustang GT - First car i bought :D

Engine - 331 CHP fully forged stroker, custom nitrious cam, cobra heads, trickflow intake and other goodies

Trans - Built auto with manual valve body *allowed me to shift it manually* and wide ratio gear set.

Rearend - 1st was a stock 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears, had a bearing go out and built a 31 spine rear with 4.10 gears. The final one in the car was a 2003 Cobra IRS with stock 3.55 gears *was one of the first in the country to have this swap done*

first bought it - June of 2000

Right before i sold it in 2007

and thats my car history...hope this was random enough...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My last project ...

Show Car

2004 Scion xB

MODS -

Audio:
- Alpine CDA-9835 CD/MP3 Player
- Alpine DVA-5210 DVD Player
- Alpine RUX-4280 Amp Controller
- Alpine SBS-0715 Center Speaker w/ Amp (Painted To Match)
- Alpine TypeS 6.5"/1" Components In The Front Door
- Alpine TypeS 4" Speakers Custom In The Dash
- Alpine TypeS 5.25" Speakers In The Rear Hatch
- Alpine MRD-M501 Mono Amp
- Alpine TypeX 10" Sub
- 2 - 5.6" TVs In The Front Visors (Painted To Match)
- Audio Formz 10" Sub Enclosure (Painted To Match)
- Audio Formz Amp Case (Painted To Match)
- Stinger Expert Series Digital Battery Top, In-Line ANL Fuse Holder & 4ga. Ring Terminals
- 1.2 Farad Cap

Interior:
- Zeta Products Adjustable Storage Armrest w/ Rear Cup Holder
- Audio Formz Fiberglass Hatch Mat
- Ichibahn Carbon Fiber Shift Knob w/ Shift Boot
- Ichibahn Carbon Fiber E-Brake Handle w/ E-Brake Boot
- Ichibahn Carbon Fiber Pedal Set w/ Dead Pedal
- Carbon Fiber Door Sills

Performance:
- Strup Performance Headers
- Strup Performance Exhaust
- AEM Cold Air Intake
- Ground Fusion Hot Lava Grounding Kit

Wheels/Suspension/Brakes:
- Mod Concepts G.F.O 18"x7.5"
- Nitto NEO GEN 225/40-18
- H&R 5mm Wheel Spacers In The Front
- H&R 15mm Wheel Spacers In The Rear w/ Extended Wheel Studs
- Carbon Fiber Front Upper Strut Brace
- TRD Sport Shocks & Lowering Springs
- N-Brake NA-Performance (Pink) Brake Pads

Exterior:
- Audio Formz Fiberglass Scooped Hood
- CF-Type Carbon Fiber Fender Flares
- JDM TRD Gas Cap
- OEM Front Grille Painted Black
- JDM bB Front & Rear Emblem
- Scion Tail Light Trim Painted To Match
- Carbon Fiber Gas Door Cover & Door Pillar Accents
- OEM Spoiler
- OEM Fog Lights

Other:
- FIAMM Series 3000 Air Horn Kit
- AEM Chrome Oil Cap & Battery Tie Down
- M-TEC H4 Ion Yellow Headlights
- M-TEC 9006 Ion Yellow Fog Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:16 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm just an old man stuck in a young body :wink:

I hold an associates degree in diesel technology but I have been wrenching on cars for most of my life.

Back in high school, I competed in various competitions and did very well. Our group took first place in state with out toyota prius chapter display and got to go to national skills usa (VICA)

I also competed in the Ford/AAA hand on competition. Took second place in the state and finished with a state record time.. Missed first by one 2 points

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Went on my first vacation in 6 years, at the beginning of the month.
Camping;
Visited Crater lake;
Fishing; We caught 5 in 1.5 hours.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

I read the new sticky about oil...

It was a good read.. I must say i agree with the lay out and info given.
I can not fine fualt with the info presented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:37 pm 
LOST Member

Humm.. I'm 25ish, in the Army National Guard for South Dakoty, and work in the geek sector of life. I've got an associates in information technology, a handful of certifications to work on a bunch of computer crud, and currently I work for a telecommunications company. Just got finished with a 7 1/2 month stint on active duty. Arizona kinda sucks when you don't have your jeep down there to play with. My other automobile for right now is a radio flyer. Wanting to get a nice 4in lift, some 32's, and maybe some rockstar wheels.

Oh and I'm getting hitched in September...and she doesn't get the jeep thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 am 
LOST Newbie

rickm wrote:

I also worked on some White Superior diesels at a power plant at a communications site in Athens, Greece. That was a great assignment.

Which communications site in Athens? I was stationed at Hellenikon Air Base in the mid 1970s. We were the only Army unit on the Air Base, 16th EOD.

2009 4x4 Light Greystone Pearl Liberty Limited Edition, Premium Group I and II, Skid Plate Group, Exterior Appearance Group by MOPAR, Select Trac II, Power Sunroof,uconnect,Slush Mats, Tow Group, Cargo Liner and locking gas cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:07 am 
LOST Member

Loki wrote:
rickm wrote:

Which communications site in Athens? I was stationed at Hellenikon Air Base in the mid 1970s. We were the only Army unit on the Air Base, 16th EOD.

I worked at Mt. Pateras. We were assigned to Hellenikon, but worked at Pateras, which was a detachment of the communications squadron. It was about 1 1/2 hour bus ride to and from work each day.

Tow Package
Factory Skid Plates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

I lived in Ano Glyfada so easy commute for me unless we had to go to the remote bases. I remember it was always an experence driving in Greece especially downtown Athens. I am sure it's gotten better in the last 30 years. Used to be the horn was attached to the clutch, stop lights turn green and everyone hits the horn.

2009 4x4 Light Greystone Pearl Liberty Limited Edition, Premium Group I and II, Skid Plate Group, Exterior Appearance Group by MOPAR, Select Trac II, Power Sunroof,uconnect,Slush Mats, Tow Group, Cargo Liner and locking gas cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pierocksmysocks wrote:
Oh and I'm getting hitched in September...and she doesn't get the jeep thing.

I got married in September last year. What day in September? We got married Septemebr 8th 2008.

Here's a new pic of my truck from our last kayaking trip.

Wife-2008, 4x4 KK North Edition- sunroof, THULE crossbars, kayak folding J's & fairing, WeatherTech mats front, rear & cargo, 6000K HID Hi/Low & Fogs, Rock Krawler X-factor lift, BDS shocks, 255/70-16 BFG ATs, 16x8 Eagle Alloys 137's(4.625"BS)
Mine-2007.5, Dodge 6.7L Cummins 2500 4x4 LARAMIE- Too many mods to list. CumminsForum.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:55 am 
LOST Member

woohooo...just got back from an AC/DC concert...what a blast...and i can't hear..haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geene519 wrote:
woohooo...just got back from an AC/DC concert...what a blast...and i can't hear..haha

THUNDER!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:01 am 
LOST Member

Loki wrote:
I lived in Ano Glyfada so easy commute for me unless we had to go to the remote bases. I remember it was always an experence driving in Greece especially downtown Athens. I am sure it's gotten better in the last 30 years. Used to be the horn was attached to the clutch, stop lights turn green and everyone hits the horn.

I lived in Terpsithea, pretty much straight up the hill from the gate at Hellenikon. Yeah, I hope the traffic has gotten better. You are right about the lights and horns, it was crazy. I bought a Vespa moped at that shop right across the street from the base. I drove that thing all over the place.. to and from home and work, and even drove it into downtown Athens on a couple of occasions. That was quite a ride :lol: :lol:

Tow Package
Factory Skid Plates

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2052 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 103  Next