It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E-locker?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:11 am 
LOST Junkie

Has anybody installed an Eaton E-locker here? I've searched around and the only selectable lockers i see people with are the ARBs.
This website says they make them for Liberties.http://www.filthymotorsports.com/Eaton_E_Locker_p/eaton-elocker.htm I could be wrong though.
Is there a benefit to the air lockers vs the E-Lockers?
I'm just curious.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

Post subject: Re: E-locker?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

They only list a D30 one so you'd only be able to use it in the front,you will need one for a JK since your front diff is basically a JK D30.They do not list one for the 8.25 you have in the rear.

Only real difference is how the locker is engaged,either by air(ARB) or a magnet(E-locker).price difference is not a whole lot,the lockers are about the same price but the ARB does require a air compressor which is not alot unless you want one you can use to air your tires up also then it's a little more.You kinda get a 2 for 1 deal if you get the bigger ARB compressor,on board air source to air your tires back up when your done on the trail.

Guess you can't go wrong with either one but the ARB's have a solid history.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:28 am 
LOST Junkie

Ok well new question. Has anybody fit the compressor under the hood? I would rather have it outside I'm running out of room in the back with all the recovery gear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have an ELocker in the front, as noted above they don't make one for the rear. Works really well, no hassles and it has gotten me out of a couple of "pickles" when I tried to go where I shouldn't have.

If you have an ARB in the back or are planning on one, I would put one in the front also. My set up is a Detroit Locker in the back, elocker in the front. When I take the Liberty I have a Smittybilt air compressor for airing up tires.

It's really a "what floats your boat" decision as both work and are selectable. Just don't do a lunchbox locker...

Also, if you don't have anything in the back, do that first as you may find you won't need anything in the front.

Frankenlift II
245 75 16 Goodyear MTR's
Moabs
Al's UCA's
Boulderbars
Backbone with Warn XD9000i, Viking synthetic line
Rubicon Big Brother

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepNCrowd wrote:
Ok well new question. Has anybody fit the compressor under the hood? I would rather have it outside I'm running out of room in the back with all the recovery gear.

Plenty of room under the hood.I have ARB's mini compressor under my hood to run both my ARB's but plenty of room for there bigger one which I also have bolted in the back of my KJ to air up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

Grannysgoat wrote:
I have an ELocker in the front, as noted above they don't make one for the rear. Works really well, no hassles and it has gotten me out of a couple of "pickles" when I tried to go where I shouldn't have.

If you have an ARB in the back or are planning on one, I would put one in the front also. My set up is a Detroit Locker in the back, elocker in the front. When I take the Liberty I have a Smittybilt air compressor for airing up tires.

It's really a "what floats your boat" decision as both work and are selectable. Just don't do a lunchbox locker...

Also, if you don't have anything in the back, do that first as you may find you won't need anything in the front.

How does the Detroit handle on the street? I was considering running the setup you have, but I'm torn between that and ARBs front and rear.

tjkj2002 wrote:
JeepNCrowd wrote:

Plenty of room under the hood.I have ARB's mini compressor under my hood to run both my ARB's but plenty of room for there bigger one which I also have bolted in the back of my KJ to air up.

That's got me leaning towards the ARBs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

We have had no issues with the Detroit on the street, frankly now it's my wife's grocery getter as we have upgraded to an LJ Rubicon for our off road travels. However, we do not have much ice here and I know from previous experience a Detroit equipped vehicle can "swap ends" . It also likes to talk to you, happy talk I might add. The new "soft" Detroit lockers are not as nasty as the previous ones, but have the same performance (no, I do not have a Tru Trac). This set up works extremely well off road, you can run with the "big dogs" until you run out of ground clearance.

ARB's in both ends would also work very well and as TKJK2002 said, you get the benefit of on board air. So, if you can, 4.10's and ARB's. Costs a little more, but maybe in your case worth it.

Frankenlift II
245 75 16 Goodyear MTR's
Moabs
Al's UCA's
Boulderbars
Backbone with Warn XD9000i, Viking synthetic line
Rubicon Big Brother