It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering Woes Continue
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

Had the Jeep for one day since dealer replaced factory steering rack under warranty. Now when I start the car up it's grinding and wheels lock up temporarily when turning left. Just the first few turns then it doesn't happen anymore until then next time I start it up. WTF is that? Steering Rack? CV Axles? Not leaking fluid that I can see and everything under the car looks fine. I feel like my only hope is a custom steering setup. I'll spend 5k on a custom rack and RCV axles if it means I can drive this thing for another 100,000 miles. Otherwise, it's time to strip it down to stock and sell it for parts. FML. I'm desperate here guys ...

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

Post subject: Re: Steering Woes Continue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:09 am 
LOST Member

Didn't bleed it properly?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds like low or incorrect fluid. Right fluid is ATF4 and filled up to the dip stick. Check that out first and report back.

Also since it's still under warranty, take it back to the shop and have them fix it for free again.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:14 am 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
Sounds like low or incorrect fluid. Right fluid is ATF4 and filled up to the dip stick. Check that out first and report back.

Also since it's still under warranty, take it back to the shop and have them fix it for free again.

Fluid is full. Looks like the right fluid to me.

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:47 am 
LOST Addict

I don't know if there is a color difference in atf vs other atf or steering fluid so idk. But as far as the metal shavings in the supply line, if I were you I'd 100% give that a look at. I would not just glaze over this fluid. I'd almost bet that's the problem.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:20 pm 
LOST Member

So I start the car up and everything's good. The first left turn I have to make though there's a puttering sound and then as I go to straighten the wheel out there's loud grinding and the wheels lock up for a second. Then everything's good for the rest of the drive, until I start it up and then the same thing. Could it be the pump? Haven't had that relaxed through this whole process. Taking it back in tomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:01 pm 
LOST Member

Also the ECS light is on. (Along with check engine and TPMS). She's a mess!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:19 pm 
LOST Addict

ElCuervo52 wrote:
So I start the car up and everything's good. The first left turn I have to make though there's a puttering sound and then as I go to straighten the wheel out there's loud grinding and the wheels lock up for a second. Then everything's good for the rest of the drive, until I start it up and then the same thing. Could it be the pump? Haven't had that relaxed through this whole process. Taking it back in tomorrow

Im going to smash my head on the wall if you dont look at the supply line fluid.....

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:03 am 
LOST Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
ElCuervo52 wrote:

Im going to smash my head on the wall if you dont look at the supply line fluid.....

Hahaha thank you for this