It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: **WARNING** ESP and alignments
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Ted15 wrote:
Does it calibrate the computer or do you have to use the hypertech for the speedometer?

Not 100 percent sure what you mean, but you just plug in the Hypertech to calibrate it, then you remove it. Only time the programmer is plugged in is when you're installing. When you're driving, you do not leave it connected.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gageraid wrote:
Ted15 wrote:
Does it calibrate the computer or do you have to use the hypertech for the speedometer?

Not 100 percent sure what you mean, but you just plug in the Hypertech to calibrate it, then you remove it. Only time the programmer is plugged in is when you're installing. When you're driving, you do not leave it connected.

That's what I was wondering. I looked it up and found them on sale at 4WP for about 340.00 shipped. I'm probably going to miss the sale this time.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Ted15 wrote:
Gageraid wrote:
Ted15 wrote:

That's what I was wondering. I looked it up and found them on sale at 4WP for about 340.00 shipped. I'm probably going to miss the sale this time.

I feel like I could easily persuade anyone with a KK to buy this just by taking them for a ride with mine. Expensive, yes. I bought it for the gas mileage gains. Before my mods, I was getting 16.5-17. After mods, I've gotten 22 m.p.g. which is over 400 miles on a single tank! All city driving. If I did all 400+ miles highway, I really wouldn't be surprised to see 24 m.p.g. or more.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

[/quote] I feel like I could easily persuade anyone with a KK to buy this just by taking them for a ride with mine. Expensive, yes. I bought it for the gas mileage gains. Before my mods, I was getting 16.5-17. After mods, I've gotten 22 m.p.g. which is over 400 miles on a single tank! All city driving. If I did all 400+ miles highway, I really wouldn't be surprised to see 24 m.p.g. or more.[/quote]

That's quite a large increase. Do you have 4WD? It would seem that it would pay for itself pretty quickly but how does it respond while in economy mode?

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:42 am 
LOST Addict

I have Command-Trac. The programmer doesn't have an "economy mode" to select from. There is a selection you can make for regular or premium fuel. I always use regular.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gageraid wrote:
I have Command-Trac. The programmer doesn't have an "economy mode" to select from. There is a selection you can make for regular or premium fuel. I always use regular.

Dang, that looks like new in there.
This is definatley something I'll be getting in the future but first, gears and lockers and maybe bigger tires but the tires aren't a high priority yet. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:14 pm 
LOST Addict

41,000 miles. I treat her better than new, trust me. I do very much appreciate the compliment! If there is any question I can answer to help persuade you do buy the programmer, fire it at me.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gageraid wrote:
41,000 miles. I treat her better than new, trust me. I do very much appreciate the compliment! If there is any question I can answer to help persuade you do buy the programmer, fire it at me.

Persuasion, that's not necessary, money is. Even though I have 245/75-16 tires I've noticed a significant loss of power especially while towing our camper. The programmer would probably make some of that up but I really want to do locker(s) next and it doesn't make sense to do that and not the gears at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Ted15 wrote:
Gageraid wrote:

Persuasion, that's not necessary, money is. Even though I have 245/75-16 tires I've noticed a significant loss of power especially while towing our camper. The programmer would probably make some of that up but I really want to do locker(s) next and it doesn't make sense to do that and not the gears at the same time.

That makes sense. You can also use the programmer to adjust to the different gears.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:40 am 
LOST Member

Funny how after all the time I've been on this site, today is the first time I've read this thread. It seems that some have had this problem immediately after lifting their Jeep. Not so for me,. I have the problem now, mostly on left turns, as others have indicated, but it was not until I got my Treadwright tires and had an alignment done. Prior to that, but post lift, I had no issues. At first, I thought the tires were rubbing, as the installer swore that they would because of their larger size, but after careful inspection, I've found no evidence of rub.

If I read the thread correctly, I suppose my options are that I could find a shop that can do a proper alignment taking ESP into account, "disable" the system with the switch on the dash, or disconnect the fuse, thus rendering ABS inactive.

245/75R16 Firestone Destination A/T

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Voyager wrote:
Funny how after all the time I've been on this site, today is the first time I've read this thread. It seems that some have had this problem immediately after lifting their Jeep. Not so for me,. I have the problem now, mostly on left turns, as others have indicated, but it was not until I got my Treadwright tires and had an alignment done. Prior to that, but post lift, I had no issues. At first, I thought the tires were rubbing, as the installer swore that they would because of their larger size, but after careful inspection, I've found no evidence of rub.

If I read the thread correctly, I suppose my options are that I could find a shop that can do a proper alignment taking ESP into account, "disable" the system with the switch on the dash, or disconnect the fuse, thus rendering ABS inactive.

Is your jeep level? It seemed like while my springs were settling from the last lift it would ativate occasionally. I recently finished leveling the lift bringing the front a little higher to bring it within 1/2" of the rear. I then had it aligned and told them about the stability control coming on and mentioned the clock spring may need to be reset. That was Monday and it hasn't come on since, at all except for when I took it too fast around a corner but that dosen't count. :2cents:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:39 am 
LOST Member

Ted15 wrote:
Is your jeep level? It seemed like while my springs were settling from the last lift it would ativate occasionally. I recently finished leveling the lift bringing the front a little higher to bring it within 1/2" of the rear. I then had it aligned and told them about the stability control coming on and mentioned the clock spring may need to be reset. That was Monday and it hasn't come on since, at all except for when I took it too fast around a corner but that dosen't count. :2cents:

It's about 1/4 inch lower in front. At 41,000 miles I'm probably due for new springs. When I can afford to, I'm just going to replace all with OME's and ditch the RK lift. I think for now, since we have a long stretch of dry weather coming up, I'm going to pull the ABS fuse for a day or two and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 pm 
LOST Member

Voyager wrote:
I think for now, since we have a long stretch of dry weather coming up, I'm going to pull the ABS fuse for a day or two and see what happens.

And...as expected, no more noise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gageraid wrote:
Ted15 wrote:
Gageraid wrote:

That makes sense. You can also use the programmer to adjust to the different gears.

How your KK senses how fast it's going is not effected by gear ratio change,only tire size.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Gageraid wrote:
Ted15 wrote:
Gageraid wrote:

Many people have said the programmer helps out so much when towing. I'd be curious to see a KK with the Max Energy and different gears.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gageraid wrote:
Many people have said the programmer helps out so much when towing. I'd be curious to see a KK with the Max Energy and different gears.

Correcting the speedo helps the most,gears help even more.

All your doing with that programmer(besides correcting the speedo) is leaning the fuel/air mixture or riching it depending on eco or performance.All the other claimed things like adjust for regular of premium the PCM already does on it's own anyway.You also will never see any real benifits from them unless you tear apart the engine and mod the internals to take full advantage of the programming.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Gageraid wrote:

All your doing with that programmer(besides correcting the speedo) is leaning the fuel/air mixture or riching it depending on eco or performance.All the other claimed things like adjust for regular of premium the PCM already does on it's own anyway.You also will never see any real benifits from them unless you tear apart the engine and mod the internals to take full advantage of the programming.

You should read up on how Hypertech tunes. It's pretty sophisticated, and they have dyno results. I can speak from experience the mileage gains.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gageraid wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Gageraid wrote:

You should read up on how Hypertech tunes. It's pretty sophisticated, and they have dyno results. I can speak from experience the mileage gains.

Saw a guys dyno sheets on a '08 JK,one he did completely stock,the other which was done 1 week later with the only mod was a gear change(3.73's to 5.13's) and gained 250+HP at the rear wheels(stock tires/wheels still as 1st run).That as just from a gear change,no other mods done.

A chassis dyno can be made to show results you are looking for when there actually not there.Your mpg gain was from a corrected speedo which made the trans shift properly resulting in better mpg's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:31 am 
LOST Addict

This is from Hypertech. "The team of engineers and technicians at our R&D center in Memphis uses two computerized chassis dynamometers to develop the most powerful tuning programs possible. First they experimentally adjust the spark timing to obtain the highest torque and power readings at a given engine rpm. Then they adjust the air/fuel ratio to obtain the highest possible power and torque readings that an optimized air/fuel mixture can produce. After the spark timing and air/fuel ratio for that particular engine speed have been optimized, the rpm is increased to the next point and the entire procedure is repeated again. The process continues, point by point, up to the engine's maximum speed. This technique is called experimental, point-by-point curve fitting. There is no more effective way to power tune an engine. "

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:53 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

AND...........Rocky Road Outfitters advertise they are the one and only place to buy lift kits for the KJs/ KKs
so companies/ advertisers can say anything they want and get some to think its the honest to G*d truth

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next