It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: **WARNING** ESP and alignments
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Got some useful info today from our Hunter guy about ESP and alignments.

This applies to all ESP equipt vehicles and not just Jeeps.If you have a alignment and toe adjustments are required and you have ESP the steering angle sensor must be adjusted or unusual ESP operation can result,not always but sometimes you can get unwanted operation.Come Jan 1st 2012 every vehicle sold in the US must have ESP as standard equipment,and all Jeeps have it standard as of 2006.There has been some reports of unwanted operation of ESP that has caused some issues and lawyers are going to start having a field day with alot of new lawsuits from this.As of this month every Firestone(nation wide) will have the ability to reset most steering angle sensors,not all but most and the ones that can not be done must be reset at a dealership as they require there specific scanners.Some vehicles will require the battery to be disconnected for the reset and a "battery saver" can not be used to save stuff like radio memory or the reset will not work so if your vehicle has a "anti-theft" radio that requires a code to unlock make sure you have that code ready as we will not be responable for the added cost from a trip to the dealership to unlock the radio as we must reset the steering angle sensor if we are able to do so.We also may deny doing a alignment if we can not reset the steering angle sensor,even if you have already purchased a lifetime alignment package(you should be refunded the cost).

Today my shop got the update and the reset tool,in april/may another update comes out and hopefully we will be able to reset all makes/models but we will not know until that update comes out and Hunter installs it.Not trying to sell anything Firestone but from the Hunter rep Firestone is aggressively taking this issue serouisly and besides dealerships will have 100% pro-activity to making your vehicle as safe as it can be.So basically some other alignmnet places will not have the ability to reset any steering angle sensors or do not care.

Post subject: Re: **WARNING** ESP and alignments
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wonder if this might be why sometimes when I make a slow left turn my ESP kicks on without wheel spin??? Had aligned at Firestone about a year ago after lift and tires.

AEM Brute Force
2" Daystar lift
245/75/R16 Firestone Destination M/T's

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

yep i just started having this problem with my new tire set up, so is this a recal thing where it is a free reset or is there a labor charge?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj will know but im willing to bet its part of the alignment process so unless it was aligned like yesterday where they might do it for free they will probably charge you for another alignment.

JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

its just a plug in right? maybe I am missing somthing. I read it as just reseting the electronics. So if I had it aligned a few months ago i could just call up a place that has these scanners and have them reset the computer.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:25 pm 
LOST Member

I noticed same thing almost immediately after my tire and lift mods a few weeks back. Seems to be occuring 99% of time with left hand turns. Not every turn, but still annoying when it does happen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine has been doing it since my lift and alignment mine is mostley with left turns but starting to notice it more now with right turns. I will be calling the place that did my alignment tomorrow to see if they have the equipment to fix it.

Skyjacker Shocks Rear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:07 pm 
LOST Addict

mine does this on left hand turns to.....

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:46 pm 
LOST Member

Yea, i just got an alignment like day before yesterday since i got my 4" sustem on. between the 33s im runnin and my 4" coilovers cranked up to like 4.9", practically EVERYTIME i turn, regardless of speed, my ESP crap goes off. yesterdayand today ive just been hitting the ESP kill switch after i start her up and i have yet to get any esp involvement

K&N intake, Thrush Turbo, NGK irridium plugs
Surco basket w/ full spare, 4 KCs & Hi-Lift
Cobra CB radio w/ 4' Firestik
------------------------------
90 Renix XJ
Black, 2Door, 4.0, AW4, Np231
d44/d60 swap, detroit rear, spooled front
5.38s with 108" WB on 37" Iroks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:15 am 
LOST Newbie

This is good to know. After lifting my 08, and adding bigger tires, I too noticed that taking a slow left turn would sometimes cause the ESP to activate on dry pavement. I also had an alignment done after lifting it and installing bigger tires. I'm going to reset the SAS tomorrow at work.

Mods- 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R, tinted front windows, MOPAR skid plates, tow hooks, MOPAR SRT pedal covers, Daystar 2.5" lift, K&N filter, MOPAR Remote Start, NGK Iridium plugs, Pioneer deck, MOPAR Kicker speakers, Mopar bumper guard, Mopar bug shield, Rhino lined hood and grille, Enkei wheels.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I called my Firestone here in Tampa, FL and they have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them about this process. I know that I still need a front end alignment after installing my Daystar leveling kit but is this actually going to fix the ESP issue or is there more to it?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:47 am 
LOST Newbie

same thing happens to me as I fix it?

K&n replacement

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:04 pm 
LOST Member

How does ESP affect offroad driving, where "intended" direction and wheel spin may be percieved as a bad thing by the computer, but is desired by the driver?

04 3.7 Sport.
Auto Trans
Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 235/70/R16
Garmin GPS on RAM Mount

Mileage Trend:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok so took my jeep out yesterday on the trail for the first time since the lift and tires. Going up hill 4lo and in 1 ESP still kicked in even though it said ESPOFF in dash. It was bad totaly robed all the power from my jeep it seemed like and made it difficult to make it up. Any suggestions with this or do you guys think it is also related to the same issue with the esp after the lift??????

Skyjacker Shocks Rear

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:34 pm 
LOST Addict

09VAliberty wrote:
Ok so took my jeep out yesterday on the trail for the first time since the lift and tires. Going up hill 4lo and in 1 ESP still kicked in even though it said ESPOFF in dash. It was bad totaly robed all the power from my jeep it seemed like and made it difficult to make it up. Any suggestions with this or do you guys think it is also related to the same issue with the esp after the lift??????

ESP is never totally off, it simply raises the tolerance of wheel spin. The only way to stop ESP is pulling the ABS fuse. Somewhere there is a write up where you can put a switch inline with the fuse to shut it off. I dont completely understand how a lift can cause it to set off easier though. I figure that if you have larger tires while you are turning the inside tire seems as though it is turning slower to the abs sensor and the outside is moving faster setting it off easier. IDK how it really works though, seems like a good thought though. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

how to fix this problem?

K&n replacement

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:35 am 
LOST Addict

WhylmerKK wrote:
how to fix this problem?

if resetting the esp after the alignment doesnt fix it the only thing you can do is push the disable button to mostly stop it from kicking on or pull the abs fuse to totally disable esp and abs

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:08 am 
LOST Newbie

as do the alignment?

K&n replacement

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:59 am 
LOST Newbie

I faced this problem after done my car lift. this problem has nothing to do with you car lift or tyre size. all is nothing but when you lift your car on the KK you have to remove you battery in order to have access to the front shock mount.
once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) in the clockspring needs to be calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for any length of time. If the SAS is not calibrated following battery reconnection, the ESP/BAS indicator lamp is illuminated following five ignition cycles indicating the need for calibration.
To do the calibration you don't need any fancy or expensive scanner, all you need to do is as follow;

1. Start the engine.
2. Center the steering wheel.
3. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.
4. Center the steering wheel.
5. Stop the engine.

Happy jeeping guys.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Good to know. Ill try doing mine and see if it makes the esp less sensitive.