It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ESP On/Off Switch install "For off road use."
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I found one... went to like 5 stores to do so but i got one... made up a harness... basically just need to plug it in and then put the switch in place... should be like 15 minutes tomorrow. Pretty easy to do... the wire harness i made up using a pin socket for a relay. I used 16 and 14 guage wire in the proper locations. I'll post an update tomorrow after i install it!

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:56 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

So i'm fairly wiring impaired. But why can't you just run two wires w female plugs from the J6 posts into the cabin with a switch and an inline fuse (equivilant to the one j6 is rated at) in one of the wires?

___________fuse_________
j6____________________switch

(best wiring diagram i could make w ipod touch)

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
Where did you get the 40 amp relay? Every where I go they only have 30/40 relays which I know will not work.

First post of this thread. First line of the shopping list. NAPA part # LIT 191

Atthehelm wrote:
So i'm fairly wiring impaired. But why can't you just run two wires w female plugs from the J6 posts into the cabin with a switch and an inline fuse (equivilant to the one j6 is rated at) in one of the wires?

___________fuse_________
j6____________________switch

(best wiring diagram i could make w ipod touch)

You will have a real hard time finding a switch rated at 40 amps continuous flow.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

Last edited by Scar0 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That and who wants 40 amps in there cabin... that can get kinda hairy

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:48 pm 
LOST Addict

40 Amps sounds fun :shock:

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:54 am 

I guess that would make sense :oops:

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

switch is in, works really get... thanks again for the write up Scar!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
switch is in, works really get... thanks again for the write up Scar!

Glad to help out! It is fun that way... :BANANA:

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know this is a old thread but I'm wondering why you would do this whats it do to your jeep? What will it add to off roading for me?

Thanks Jim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the answe to your question is that is allow wheel spin without decreasing power to the motor, it also disables ABS from kicking it. this helps because in our trucks we have an esp button, pushing it in 2wd or 4wd raises the tolerances of how much wheel spin is allowed before the engine power is kicked off and your system is stable. in 4wd low if you push and hold the button it increases the tolerance even more, it will display "ESP OFF" in the dash, but dont be fooled... if you have a lot of wheel spin it will still kick in. the benefit to this is if your doing something such as climbing a steep hill thats slippery, you wont lose power if your wheels slip and spin, thus helping you get over the obstacle. the negative effect is rode travel, if you drive without esp active on a road with a slippery surface the wheel spin may be undesired, and with no system correction there may be problems, mainly speaking, an accident. turning off esp is only intended for off road use... that and if you want ot do really cool donuts. just kidding.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

My ESP turns it's self off I dont know why. So couldn't you just put a bad fuse in the place of the good fuse?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jamese35 wrote:
My ESP turns it's self off I dont know why. So couldn't you just put a bad fuse in the place of the good fuse?

Your ESP will automatically turn off in 4wd low but not fully. If you get into a tough situation off-road and need a lot of wheel spin it will still come on. Most of us would just pull the J6 fuse and that would fully disable the system. This is just a way to fully disable the system without leaving your divers seat and enable back the same way.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
the answe to your question is that is allow wheel spin without decreasing power to the motor, it also disables ABS from kicking it. this helps because in our trucks we have an esp button, pushing it in 2wd or 4wd raises the tolerances of how much wheel spin is allowed before the engine power is kicked off and your system is stable. in 4wd low if you push and hold the button it increases the tolerance even more, it will display "ESP OFF" in the dash, but dont be fooled... if you have a lot of wheel spin it will still kick in. the benefit to this is if your doing something such as climbing a steep hill thats slippery, you wont lose power if your wheels slip and spin, thus helping you get over the obstacle. the negative effect is rode travel, if you drive without esp active on a road with a slippery surface the wheel spin may be undesired, and with no system correction there may be problems, mainly speaking, an accident. turning off esp is only intended for off road use... that and if you want ot do really cool donuts. just kidding.

Thank you this answered my question about 'ESP OFF' displayed when in 4wd Lo. This gets me thinking about a recent trip beach 4x4ing. I engaged 4x4 lo inorder to takle the beach dunes. I dont know whenther I was doing the right thing or not but I left 4xd lo engaled for 20mins or so and travelling approx 10-15km/h when my grearbox over heat mil light came on.

Would this MIL have been caused by the fact that esp was NOT completly off?

1 more question: Would 'ESP OFF' still be displayed when engaging switch of this mod?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Your gearbox overheated because 4wd low is very strenuous on the transmission and prolonged use of it will cause the transmission to overheat. I've had it happen to me before. Try not to use 4wd low unless you really need it.

Any time you place your vehicle in 4wd low your ESP light will come on because it atomically turns off. In 4wd auto you have to press the ESP switch to turn it off. With the install of this switch your ABS and a few other lights will come on because you are disabling the system and your truck thinks there is a problem. So yes the ESP light will be lite up.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks again Mike. Here is another noobe question, how do I ensure I have traction on all 4's when offroading? Just keep on 4x4auto and allow 4 wheel traction to engage automatically?
Thanks and sorry about off topic question.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The only way to get the most traction to all 4 wheels is to pull the J6 fuse or do this mod.

If you don't want to do this mod 4wd auto with ESP off will get you in and out of most situations. If you feel you are going into some thick mud or need some more grunt while climbing then 4wd low will help with that. I did a lot of off-roaring in my 08 and I never pulled the fuse. I did get stuck a few times but looking back on it I dont think having the fuse pulled would have helped in some of the situations.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:22 am 
LOST Newbie

mos33y wrote:
Thanks again Mike. Here is another noobe question, how do I ensure I have traction on all 4's when offroading? Just keep on 4x4auto and allow 4 wheel traction to engage automatically?
Thanks and sorry about off topic question.

The only way to accomplish that is to install lockers front and rear.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

How much cash did it cost to do all of this?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can't image it costing more then $35 ...
The relay is $8.30, a switch is about $4, maybe $10 in wiring, a few bucks for some connectors, some fuses ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:25 am 
LOST Newbie

Correct me if I am wrong,The way is see that the system works is if the system detects a wheel spin the abs will activate the brakes on the spinning wheel to transfer power to the opposite wheel.This acts as a limited slip diff in some ways.If you cancel this option ,you are reducing your traction :?: :?: